GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say I'm hyped for the game, but after trying the PC demo and enjoying it, I am curious to see how the DS version turned out. The console games were all developed by IO Interactive, but this version was done by Magic Pockets. If they don't sound familiar, it's probably because you haven't been playing Petz, Animalz or Jake Power, which is perfectly understandable.

mini-ninjas-20090119003502188_640w.jpg

And yet, in spite of the types of games they've worked on, IGN seems to think highly of their work, marking quite a few of those games highly. The last action-adventure game I think they worked on was Goblet of Fire, which was decent. Mini Ninjas DS looks like it could be noteworthy, but I'm surprised at the lack of buzz on the Web for pretty much all versions of the game. I personally haven't seen video footage, found any hands-on preview stuff, or anything really for the DS version, which isn't usually a good sign. Anyone interested in this game, or perhaps even one of the console versions?

Djay187

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From the few screen shots I've seen I have to say I'm interested, it looks like it's fully 3d and an action adventure of which there's not to many for the DS.
So fingers crossed for a good game.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there was a hype thread already:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc...6kgtsgmXGRfQwFQ

My thought is that it'll be a 6/10 sort of game at best. I see irpacynot liking this as your tastes seem less demanding and you seem to be able to get over certain game flaws.

IGN Preview:
QUOTE said:
The most obvious shift has to do with the structure of the game. While much of the single-player quest is still rendered in 3D (albeit a colourful but simplified translation of the console version), the game breaks away into a 2D world known as The Plane of Spirits. In this realm, the world becomes a sepia-toned tribute to classic rice-paper paintings and woodblock prints of ancient Japan. The change in styles from 2D to 3D does clash a little bit stylistically, but it's nicely presented.

In this realm, the lead character, Hiro, must complete minigames – generally involving using the stylus. Some have you tracing shapes to bridge gaps, while others have you rotating gears and moving objects along in order to help Hiro get past the obstacle in his way. Generally, these moments are pretty easy, but they're never tedious and the do break up the action a little bit.

Makes it sound tedious to me.

I wasn't a fan of the PC demo to be honest, nothing about it was special whatsoever. It just seemed like another platformer that'll only sell because it has ninjas in it. I probably wont bother with the full game on the PC/Wii plus reviews have all said that the game is just "ok". Ok its just a demo of one level but aren't demos suppose to exist to sell the game?

The thought of playing a game by the people who developed Animalz Marine Zoo, Imagine: Teacher, Jake Power: Fireman, Jake Power: Handyman, Jake Power: Policeman, Petz Rescue: Ocean Patrol, Petz: Wild Animals - Dolphinz, Petz: Wild Animals - Tigerz, Catwoman GBA & Gremlins: Stripe vs. Gizmo doesn't fill me with much hope for the game. They did get good scores from IGN sure but I've played those games and they are not worthy of those scores at all, especially Imagine Teacher. IGN in the past have been accused of rating games higher to satisfy publishers so they can get more advertising revenues.

anaxs said:
its like "I ninja" but for ds and wii from game cube
that game was awesome
i hope this game is like that cuz that game was addicting
Its not really like I-Ninja much, it seems less fun.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
My thought is that it'll be a 6/10 sort of game at best. I see irpacynot liking this as your tastes seem less demanding and you seem to be able to get over certain game flaws.

I'm not sure how to take that...
happy.gif
But growing up playing the Atari 2600 will do that to a guy.

But to clarify, when the games are free and they aren't frustrating, I usually tend to look for the good in them, as opposed to dissecting them too much. Of course, when I plunk down money, I tend to be pretty critical. With this game, if I can get a fun, little action adventure with ninjas to carry with me on the go, I'll be pleased. I do kinda agree, though, that the PC demo didn't offer anything particularly remarkable, but I felt like the game had an obvious charm. That's what really appealed to me. It has some kind of nostalgic quality I can't quite pinpoint.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to offend you, I personally wish I wasn't so critical with games. Its mainly as I have less time than most to play games so when I play a game, it has to be better than decent.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, I wasn't offended. You know my taste fairly well, actually. Like I said, I'm always on the look out for "the next thing," so decent usually cuts it for me. But that's not to say I don't feel like I know good gameplay. I feel like I'm a pretty fair judge. Of course, recommending games to pirates and recommending games to folks plunking down money isn't always the same thing.
wink.gif

Djay187

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
But to clarify, when the games are free and they aren't frustrating, I usually tend to look for the good in them, as opposed to dissecting them too much. Of course, when I plunk down money, I tend to be pretty critical. With this game, if I can get a fun, little action adventure with ninjas to carry with me on the go, I'll be pleased.

Just wanted to say I completely agree with you there, so often it seems to me that when people get games for free if it doesn't grab them immediately or if it has some minor flaw they'll slag it off and download the next thing.
Here's hoping this game won't be like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1