Minecraft Modding

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jv110, Jul 26, 2016.

1. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    From my experience browsing the Minecraft file structure, it seems modding of the Wii U edition is very possible.

The easiest and most obvious form of modding is applying texture packs. That's the easiest thing ever: textures are at content/Common/res. It even supports TPs from the PC version (AFAIK)!

It has three folders for the same thing, res/, res/1_2_2/ and res/TitleUpdate/res/, and I've not tested it so IDK, but res/TitleUpdate/res/ seems to be the correct one, since it has more files.

Now, I've got something else:
    There's a MediaWiiU.arc file at content/Common/Media/, which is obviously a compressed file. By opening it in a text editor, you can already see a lot of stuff:
    First there's a bunch of references of other files, ones that aren't anywhere else in the game data, such as Graphics\CreateWorldIcon.png, Graphics\GameModeGraphics\AwardIcons_0012.png & etc.
    Then, lots of unreadable stuff.
    Near the end, there's text. A lot of text. In all languages. Includes menus, tutorials, in-game stuff and etc. Definitely all the game's text.

But how do I extract .arc files? It'll surely open up a lot of possibilities!
    I tried WiiUExplorer, but it didn't work. It did open Super Mario Maker's .szs however, so that's something?

2. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Are you sure it isn't a .sarc file? (You said .arc, which I haven't yet seen in any mainstream Wii U game)

3. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    Yes, it's an .arc. And WiiUExplorer doesn't open it.

4. Se7ensinsMods

Se7ensinsMods Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    American Muscle
  5. jv110
    OP

jv110 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2016
    Brazil
    What I'm asking is how to open an .arc file to actually (possibly) mod the game. I didn't even mention worlds.

6. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    i looked in the files, it's the same exact structure as the other versions and making texture hacks would be super easy, considering the textures are one big .png