Hacking Minecraft Modding

malucart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
From my experience browsing the Minecraft file structure, it seems modding of the Wii U edition is very possible.

The easiest and most obvious form of modding is applying texture packs. That's the easiest thing ever: textures are at content/Common/res. It even supports TPs from the PC version (AFAIK)!

It has three folders for the same thing, res/, res/1_2_2/ and res/TitleUpdate/res/, and I've not tested it so IDK, but res/TitleUpdate/res/ seems to be the correct one, since it has more files.

Now, I've got something else:
There's a MediaWiiU.arc file at content/Common/Media/, which is obviously a compressed file. By opening it in a text editor, you can already see a lot of stuff:
First there's a bunch of references of other files, ones that aren't anywhere else in the game data, such as Graphics\CreateWorldIcon.png, Graphics\GameModeGraphics\AwardIcons_0012.png & etc.
Then, lots of unreadable stuff.
Near the end, there's text. A lot of text. In all languages. Includes menus, tutorials, in-game stuff and etc. Definitely all the game's text.

But how do I extract .arc files? It'll surely open up a lot of possibilities!
I tried WiiUExplorer, but it didn't work. It did open Super Mario Maker's .szs however, so that's something?

D

Deleted User

Are you sure it isn't a .sarc file? (You said .arc, which I haven't yet seen in any mainstream Wii U game)

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i looked in the files, it's the same exact structure as the other versions and making texture hacks would be super easy, considering the textures are one big .png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4