Minecraft Java Edition on Wii U

jbheydude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could Somebody Help Me Get Minecraft Java Editon on Wii U like say old versions could run on wii u

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's not possible. Well, at least not easily possible: You would have to port the whole JDK... That's something a big company with a lot of paid manpower could do but not realistic for HB devs doing this stuff in their freetime.

In case you really want to go that way: Java is open source. So maybe start here: https://openjdk.org/guide/ ... You will probably need decades to port the JDK with the limited manpower of just yourself through.

I mean really, see it realistically: There is a reason Microsoft did not port the Java version to anything but created the bedrock version from scratch: It is more simple to rewrite Minecraft than to port the JDK, even for a multi million dollar company like Microsoft!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i mean could somebody make a linux homebrew app for wii u
It's all other than a homebrew but sure: https://gitlab.com/linux-wiiu/linux-wiiu

Just don't expect anything you need to get a full Java experience working. Hell, you won't even get a hint of a desktop expierence... So running Minecraft from this is out of scope, too. I mean you see for how many years Linux for the Wii U is in the works and at what state it is today?

For real: First it sounded like you want to have Java running on CafeOS, which would be a tough task, but now you want Java to run on a completely different OS on the Wii U, so you want every single bit of software the Wii U holds to get replaced with open source software just to run Minecraft?!? What's next, you want Windows 11 on the Wii U to run Minecraft?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not possible. Well, at least not easily possible: You would have to port the whole JDK... That's something a big company with a lot of paid manpower could do but not realistic for HB devs doing this stuff in their freetime.

In case you really want to go that way: Java is open source. So maybe start here: https://openjdk.org/guide/ ... You will probably need decades to port the JDK with the limited manpower of just yourself through.

I mean really, see it realistically: There is a reason Microsoft did not port the Java version to anything but created the bedrock version from scratch: It is more simple to rewrite Minecraft than to port the JDK, even for a multi million dollar company like Microsoft!
tbh even if the JVM is ported over, I don't see this happening.

All the libraries Minecraft Java requires would need to be ported over. And I don't mean the libraries like Log4j, but the actual libraries like LWJGL (OpenGL Java wrapper) and OpenAL, which aren't purely Java.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All the libraries Minecraft Java requires would need to be ported over.
I tried to keep it simple but yea, you're completely right.
like LWJGL (OpenGL Java wrapper)
Which in return would need OpenGL on the Wii U... So yea, you need to port dependenices + their dependenices and maybe even a third layer of dependencies... Or "just" do it like the OP wants and port a whole OS which would include way more than just these dependency inceptions.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried to keep it simple but yea, you're completely right.

Which in return would need OpenGL on the Wii U... So yea, you need to port dependenices + their dependenices and maybe even a third layer of dependencies... Or "just" do it like the OP wants and port a whole OS which would include way more than just these dependency inceptions.
if he wants to run minecraft on a powerpc cpu with an ati gpu he could just get an old powerpc mac and put linux on it, would probably be a similar experience lol

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
The other problem is that Linux on the Wii U doesn't even take advantage of the hardware, afaik there is no hardware acceleration for 3D (No real GPU drivers) and the CPU cores are locked, only one is working.
So, even that it's not a viable option.

Trophies
XP
Either that or they just genuinely can't type a single coherent sentence, lol.

But seriously, who in their right mind genuinely thinks that they can just go, "hmm me wan game on a 10 year old console, just port it in 5 seconds LAWL"

Even porting something that's completely open-sourced takes a LOT of time as you have a shit ton of factors to consider. Like hardware, resource usage, dependencies, architecture, and much, much more.

They pretty obviously don't have a single clue on how any of this works, otherwise they would have at least tried to draft up a starting point. But nope, just go "me want port now"

Ridiculous.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean to be fair, when I was young (around 7 or 8) I thought I could put the SD card from my r4 card into my shitty android tablet and use android's "Move to SD" Function to put an App on the SD card and run it on my DS. I was always perplexed as to why it never worked. :rofl:

Trophies
XP
@Jokey_Carrot Yeah fair enough, lmao. But still this person seems like they should know better. All you have to do is take a look at one of the countless "I want (insert game here) ported NOW!" threads to realize almost all of them get given the same answer. Why would this one be any different?

But then again, I guess that would require research. Which I can already tell this person probably doesn't do.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even porting something that's completely open-sourced takes a LOT of time as you have a shit ton of factors to consider. Like hardware, resource usage, dependencies, architecture, and much, much more.
And there's also hardware limitations.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Jokey_Carrot Yeah fair enough, lmao. But still this person seems like they should know better, all you have to do is take a look at one of the countless "I want (insert game here) ported NOW!" threads to realize almost all of them get given the same answer. Why would this one be any different?
I suppose Minecraft is a tad bit different being a Java application. You can run it on everything from a 20 year old PowerPc Mac to a Nintendo Switch with enough command-line fuckery because all you really need is a java environment and OpenGL support. The game running well is a different story, but I digress. OP is most likely oblivious to these technicalities and their brain probably hasn't developed the proper cognitive abilities required to use google.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think