Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What makes a texture become animated?
is it hard coded in the game and are always the same tile's position in the terrain.png?

Or is there a way to specify the animation sequence with an external file?
like animation.ini with coordinate start-end, start-end, etc. (or each sequence per line instead of start-end to specify un-aligned tiles).

Also, are all 256 tiles used in the map file?
Is there a pattern model to use with specified places (water only, because it's animated, whatever, and nothing here)?
Sorry so many question, I'm a noob at minecraft
tongue.gif

Edit:
@naito-Tanuki: regarding bug Number .... (should I add number column?
tongue.gif
)
I don't have calibration problem with my DSTwo + 3DS fullscreen (no need to press start for smallscreen).

Edit2 :
Small sized map 256x256 are already big enough, it takes time to explore.

@smealum:
Is it possible to make to map looping on itself ?
When near the edge, show the other edge map (like Snes Final fantasy games, Tore worlds without borders).

Naito-Tanuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
is it hard coded in the game and are always the same tile's position in the terrain.png?

like animation.ini with coordinate start-end, start-end, etc. (or each sequence per line instead of start-end to specify un-aligned tiles).

Is there a pattern model to use with specified places (water only, because it's animated, whatever, and nothing here)?
tongue.gif

Edit:
tongue.gif
)
I don't have calibration problem with my DSTwo + 3DS fullscreen (no need to press start for smallscreen).

Are you using the plug-in one? For some reason, I have to a few pixels up to touch the the thing I want.

And about the the animation stuff, you can edit the terrain via Paint.Net, and I think you can edit the Lava one aswell.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Just cooked up a special emulator version for those who want to test it or make videos. No saving, and I can only guarantee it'll work with no$gba, but here it is : http://smealum.net/dscraft/downloads/DScraft_no$gba.rar
There are 3 small (256x256) maps included and a couple texture packs.

Cyan said:

tongue.gif

Edit:
tongue.gif
)
So far pretty much everything regarding water is hard coded, including the animation. I didn't know how it worked in original minecraft, and as it turns out it's also hard coded there, so I couldn't really try to imitate it. In the current state of affairs, even the water texture is loaded separately from the rest (I think it's the 12.pcx texture or something like that); although that could easily be changed, I'm just being lazy here.
tongue.gif

I'll have to find a way to make animations better and more compatible with different texture packs.
And now, I'm not using all 256 tiles atm, but I wouldn't have enough VRAM to do so anyway.
wink.gif

Also, be careful, I think in this version it's possible to place bedrock blocks... don't forget you won't be able to remove them.
tongue.gif

Also, just started exploring big.map (i generated it like 10 minutes before uploading last night...) and there's a really cool moutain : there's this huge cave inside it, so it's basically hollow... I thought it was pretty cool
tongue.gif

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm going to bide my time before I download this. See how the development goes and all that.

This is the start of something incredibly awesome, I can feel it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Naito-Tanuki said:
Are you using the plug-in one? For some reason, I have to a few pixels up to touch the the thing I want.
I launch DScraft with DStwo plugin folder.

@Minecraft players:
What is the use of the transparent block ? It's block helper when constructing to be able to walk and climb on big structures? if it is, is there a way to make them fully invisible to take screenshot?
Edit: Oh, I can use the fly mode to climb.

@smealum :
Sometime I can't walk through water freely, there are like invisible walls. Is it because of the expansion algorithm? to prevent the water to spread everywhere you made some hard water?
Or is it a bug?

Invisible block don't show water through them.
ex : make a wall and fill the base with water, and have a transparent block in the middle of the water. you can see the wall and floor color through the transparent block, where you should see water color because there's water between them.
SCR_00003.jpg

But I guess if you needed to render all 6 faces it would take too much vram. (and transparency would be bad and become opacity by seeing all block faces)

Edit : Ah, after saving/reloading, I see there are many block everywhere in the water that I didn't place myself.
the transparency from the pic above is fixed, but I have other transparency bug everywhere now.
I'm using the "flat" map by CannonFoddr.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
@Smealum,
Just a few questions:

1.Will Noclip be added into the game at a later stage? I know it was in the demo and I prefer it for develpment.
2.Will the flying bug where left and right does the same as the touch screen be fixed? (assuming it's a bug)
3.Will the save feature be changed to make you spawn where you saved?
4.As I currently understand, you plan on making this into a fully fledged Minecraft game, if so, will the inventory be changed to respect that? Will there be a zoom button to see what items are what and the names appear on the items?
5.If it does become a fully fledged game, will you be adding new content when Notch does or not?

There were more questions but I'll get to them another time.
Sorry if the questions are too overwhelming, oh and great work so far!

Edit: If noclip gets added, you should add a button for it on the touch screen, below the Create/Destroy button and next toi the compass perhaps?

BreafingBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
gifi4 said:
@Smealum,
Just a few questions:

1.Will Noclip be added into the game at a later stage? I know it was in the demo and I prefer it for develpment.
2.Will the flying bug where left and right does the same as the touch screen be fixed? (assuming it's a bug)
4.As I currently understand, you plan on making this into a fully fledged Minecraft game, if so, will the inventory be changed to respect that? Will there be a zoom button to see what items are what and the names appear on the items?
5.If it does become a fully fledged game, will you be adding new content when Notch does or not?

Edit: If noclip gets added, you should add a button for it on the touch screen, below the Create/Destroy button and next toi the compass perhaps?

Noclip it's already added, just press A+B+X+Y. That'

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
Could you fix the bugs in the saves?
When I load my world, I don't spawn in the place where I saved, and It doesn't save everything I edited.
The fact that you don't spawn where you saved is normal, at least for now. The fact that it didn't save everything you edited isn't though. You *did* hit save before exiting the game right ? (I know it may sound like a stupid question, but it's easy to forget and I never had any bug of this kind...)

IDaNL said:
I updated my map generation GUI:
dscraftmapgenerator.png

mapgenerationdone.png

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333836/MapGen_GUI_1.1.zip
MapGen.exe must be placed into the same directory where the application is.
the done message doesnt work proparly
That's neat.
smile.gif
Mabye you can add it the the wiki page ?

Cyan said:
@Minecraft players:
What is the use of the transparent block ? It's block helper when constructing to be able to walk and climb on big structures? if it is, is there a way to make them fully invisible to take screenshot?
Edit: Oh, I can use the fly mode to climb.
The "invisible block" is actually glass, so it's not meant to be fully invisible.
tongue.gif
That's just how it is in real minecraft.

Cyan said:
@smealum :
Sometime I can't walk through water freely, there are like invisible walls. Is it because of the expansion algorithm? to prevent the water to spread everywhere you made some hard water?
Or is it a bug?
That's not normal, never encountered anything like it, and the spreading process wouldn't cause that. What do you mean by invisible walls though ? Like an actual invisible blocks in the middle of nowhere ? Because if it's just you having a hard time getting out of the water (more precisely, getting back to shallow water from deeper water), like you can't really jump high enough to get back up, that's "normal". It's incredibly annoying I know, but I only noticed it this morning. It will of course be fixed in the next release.
(to make sure it's just that and not an actual invisible block, try going through said invisible wall on fly mode)

Cyan said:
Invisible block don't show water through them.
ex : make a wall and fill the base with water, and have a transparent block in the middle of the water. you can see the wall and floor color through the transparent block, where you should see water color because there's water between them.
SCR_00003.jpg

But I guess if you needed to render all 6 faces it would take too much vram. (and transparency would be bad and become opacity by seeing all block faces)
That's a small problem with the spreading process, I'll try to fix it.
smile.gif
(you can add it to the bug list if you haven't already)

QUOTE(Cyan @ Aug 21 2011, 04:18 PM)
Edit : Ah, after saving/reloading, I see there are many block everywhere in the water that I didn't place myself.
the transparency from the pic above is fixed, but I have other transparency bug everywhere now.
I'm using the "flat" map by CannonFoddr.
The fact that the transparency is fixed makes sense; the fact that there are "blocks everywhere in the water" that you didn't place isn't. Care to take a screenshot ?
smile.gif

QUOTE(gifi4 @ Aug 21 2011, 04:22 PM)
@Smealum,
Just a few questions:

1. Well the current game already has a fly mode, which you can activate by pressing A+B+X+Y. It's basically noclip with collisions activated. Is that not good enough ?
2. So you do know about fly mode ? I don't intend to reinstate noclip then. And yeah, I guess I can put strafing back in flying mode.
3. Probably.
4. It won't be full fledged, the DS couldn't handle it. I'll try to get as close as possible. But yeah, there'll be an actual inventory, no more infinite resources (unless you want to, I'll make a cheat mode I guess). I don't know any of the details atm.
5. Most likely not. As I said, it won't ever be full minecraft, and stuff like adventure update just doesn't seem feasible atm.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Quick update on my 'Flat map'

v1.01 has now had a 168 x 168 block TOTALLY FLAT earth/dirt map added to it

Also a possible quirk/bug with the map generator/DSCraft loading...
Seems like although map generator can 'make' small maps (I've attempted to make a 50x50 map), 'DSCraft' freezes on 'Loading....' the map

I THINK it could be because smaller maps than 160x160 don't contain any 'land' & DSCraft locks up trying to render something that's not there

I manage to produce a 160x160 map, but it was mainly water with a few mountains.
This is the smallest I managed to make that loaded OK - anything smaller failed to load
SCR_00005.jpg

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Quick update on my 'Flat map'

v1.01 has now had a 168 x 168 block TOTALLY FLAT earth/dirt map added to it

Also a possible quirk/bug with the map generator/DSCraft loading...
Seems like although map generator can 'make' small maps (I've attempted to make a 50x50 map), 'DSCraft' freezes on 'Loading....' the map

I THINK it could be because smaller maps than 160x160 don't contain any 'land' & DSCraft locks up trying to render something that's not there

I manage to produce a 160x160 map, but it was mainly water with a few mountains.
This is the smallest I managed to make that loaded OK - anything smaller failed to load
SCR_00005.jpg
Oh yeah, the mapgenerator is completely broken if you don't give it a power of two as size... also minimum map size is 132x132 (which isn't a power of two), so the minimum you can give the generator for a real map is 64, that'll give you a 256x256 map.
At the moment the only values you can give mapgen if you want a real map are 64, 128 and 256. I'll be fixing that shortly, hopefully.
I kind of like the crazy stuff that comes out if you give wrong arguments though.
tongue.gif

Schnida said:
My House in the sunset
smile.gif

Awesome
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(wtfnotch @ Aug 21 2011, 05:29 PM)
i just notice the whole thing is 201MB
This is because it includes pre-generated worlds in case you don't like the default testmap.map and can't use mapGen for some reason. Otherwise that worlds directory is completely unnecessary.
wink.gif

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dev, this is a very beautiful and well-done DS port, but I'm sorry, this is one of the gayest games I've ever played. It's completely pointless and not fun in the least..

Schnida

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
It's so funny to create things with CraftDS
biggrin.gif
Thanks Smealum for one of the best DS-Homebrews of all the time.

I just made a underground swimming-pool
smile.gif

@ray :wtf: That's just awesome!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: agreed