Homebrew Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

Dann Woolf

Deadpan Snarker
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nathan Drake said:
Crafting and monsters are part of survival.

He's porting Minecraft Classic.

But are there any plans to move onto implementing features from Survival once Classic is done?

I mean, the game is called DScraft, so not including crafting seems a bit... odd.

BreafingBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dann Woolf said:
Nathan Drake said:
Crafting and monsters are part of survival.

He's porting Minecraft Classic.

But are there any plans to move onto implementing features from Survival once Classic is done?

I mean, the game is called DScraft, so not including crafting seems a bit... odd.

Smealum said that he would do the Classic, and he said MAYBE he would do the Survival, in my opinion i don't think he will do(I don't even know if the DS is able to run a functional Minecraft).

He was going to put the original name, but Notch told him to change the name and texture pack.

DroRox

Ambassador of Ooo
Trophies
Website
www.trifuck.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
kieran-123 said:
Can you release a updated test version because the only beta I can find is really bad and from the look of the screenshots it looks like a lot more has been added. Also when will a official version be released anyway?
Smealum already announced that the next, fuller version of DScraft will be releases on August 20th.
The best thing out now is the original base beta. So wait 6 days.

kieran-123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nds-patcher.webs.com
XP
Country
DroRox said:
kieran-123 said:
Can you release a updated test version because the only beta I can find is really bad and from the look of the screenshots it looks like a lot more has been added. Also when will a official version be released anyway?
Smealum already announced that the next, fuller version of DScraft will be releases on August 20th.
The best thing out now is the original base beta. So wait 6 days.
Ahh dam I will be on holiday! Oh well will be nice for when I get home unless I can get onto a computer somewhere
wink.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Dann Woolf said:
My point is, the game being called DScraft if there's no actual crafting in the game makes it a bit of a misnomer.May I point out a couple of things (well 3 things actually)

Firstly - in first post
QUOTE said:
At the moment it's called DScraft.so the name could change (perhaps to 'DS_MC Classic' ??) - we will never know

Secondly, on the minecraft webpage it does sayQUOTE
Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build anything you can imagine
- isn't THAT what you are doing in DSCraft ??

Thirdly, IIRC - when 'Minecraft' was first released, it was nothing more than what DSCraft is at the moment (I'm sure some1 will correct me if I'm wrong) - i.e. THAT version was just 'classic' mode.
So wouldn't you say that 'Minecraft' was also a bit of a misnomer when it was first released ??

Don't forget that 'DSCraft' is a first version of a port of the original 'Minecraft' - for all we know, the 'crafting' that you long for MAY turn up in later versions

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
mycraft66 said:
Will MCDS Work on a R4i cardTT v1.6
Dunno - until a release is out, or one of the BETA tester has the same card - it's impossible to test

IIRC, someone did try the original 'DEMO' on a R4 (not sure which one) & I think they had problems with it.... of course THAT might've been fixed by now as I beleive the latest version had had many bug fixes (I can't be bothered going through all 54 pages to check
nyanya.gif
)

renlang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My god that's amazing good sir! I didn't think someone could actually do it, but here you are! =P Super excited. I hope that Notch sees this and buys it from you (Unless you don't want him to, then nevermind), it looks like a great idea and I'm glad someone is finally making a MC DS.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, I haven't been here in a while
smile.gif

mycraft66 said:
Judging by the works/not working we beta testers have created...I don't know
tongue.gif

A TTDS is said not to work, but the R4 original works fine. An R4i with original firmware should work fine.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Bmcs said:
@smealum: More stuff happening, this time i noticed that, when i was traveling in the map, i found one block corrupted, and by that i mean, i could see trough it...
Then (and i know this also happened with another beta tester), there was one zone in the map that only was streaming when i was in top of it....and i mean, really on top of it...
Also, I've noticed that, in the item bar, some blocks are not well rendered, like the "dirt with grass" block and the 8th square is empty, and when selecting it, the block appears (in the hand) half visible.
And about that Guru Meditation error, here:

pc: 0202252C addr: 1616161A
1. Yeah I saw that on the bug list, thanks for reporting, i'll be looking into it.
2. This can only happen when using noclip mode (it's much faster then walking) and is therefore not a problem. There'll probably be a flymode in the public release, but with collisions activated and lower speed.
3. Yeah, the grass block's top isn't shaded, I'll fix that. As for the water, that's "normal", it will be fixed.

ron975 said:
ohnoes.png
August 20th? I'm going to vacation at exactly that day, that means I won't be able to DL it until I get to the hotel at night
ohnoes.png

Going to Chicago for 4 days
biggrin.gif
But no MCDS to play when in the tour bus.. And the amount of time it takes to get from Toronto to Chicago takes..
ohnoes.png

Bah, this way you'll enjoy the sights.
tongue.gif

Nathan Drake said:
Not knowing that was water screwed me up pretty badly. Especially because there is no way to remove the water, and the physics aren't perfect, so it doesn't drain right. Also, you can literally climb up through pillars of water and waterfalls you create. I made a pillar of water (the cursor seems to get stuck a little more often now), then I just went inside of it and held the up button and made it up to the top. Though, that may be right. I'm not sure what your goals with the water are.
Well those are the hazards of being a beta tester.
tongue.gif

It actually is possible to remove water though, all you have to do is replace it with another block. As for being able to go straight up a water column, that's also in minecraft, this way you can make water elevators.
tongue.gif

(in minecraft you have to jump to go up, but considering jumping will most likely be done by double tapping the screen in future versions, it just wouldn't be very practical)

Sir_Voe said:
Hope Smealum is enjoying his vacation. In the meantime here's another creation I made while testing:

SCR_00001.jpg

That's awesome !
biggrin.gif
Good job.

dicamarques said:
Just a quick question, there is a snapshot feature in dscraft?
Yeah, and in the next version it should save directly to a png file.

QUOTE(Dann Woolf @ Aug 14 2011, 07:54 PM) My point is, the game being called DScraft if there's no actual crafting in the game makes it a bit of a misnomer.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing is, MineDS just doesn't sound as good.
tongue.gif
And as others have pointed out, minecraft was called that way before there was any crafting involved so...

QUOTE(mycraft66 @ Aug 15 2011, 11:21 AM)
Yeah, it should.

QUOTE(renlang @ Aug 15 2011, 03:14 PM)
My god that's amazing good sir! I didn't think someone could actually do it, but here you are! =P Super excited. I hope that Notch sees this and buys it from you (Unless you don't want him to, then nevermind), it looks like a great idea and I'm glad someone is finally making a MC DS.
Thanks.
smile.gif
I doubt notch will ever be interested in this, but who knows eh ?

Anyway... still on vacation, haven't done much of anything for the game in a few days, so nothing new to show, sorry. I did tackle the lighting bug Bmcs reported a few days ago, and it seems the version I gave out to testers on the 10th is completely broken from a lighting point of view, so don't worry if it looks "off".
(it's of course been fixed though)
(btw, apparently fortresscraft made $1 million... why can't I get that kind of money ?
ohnoes.png
)

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of the screenshot feature, I think it would be nice if the crosshair and block in hand would be omitted for the sake of giving a nice clear view of the subject.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
smealum said:
(btw, apparently fortresscraft made $1 million... why can't I get that kind of money ?
ohnoes.png
)
That was released on the XBLA though. You're releasing for flashcarts which is an entirely different market wich is less likely to pay you (unfortunately). We're kinda tight-wads that way.. I'll definitely d/l the game when you release and (possibly) donate a few dollars to the cause. You're doing a bang up job.
I would say, however, that if you did make money off this Mojang would be a lot more likely to sue you for copying their game piece by piece so not making money is a good way to go on this. Obviously it would be a dick move but it would be understandable, tbh I'm surprised FOrtressCraft hasn't seen any legal action against it for blatantly copying large sections of Minecraft's gameplay. Admittedly there are no lines of code or anything that are the same between the two games but you could make a reasonable case against it.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
smealum said:
Dann Woolf said:
My point is, the game being called DScraft if there's no actual crafting in the game makes it a bit of a misnomer.
tongue.gif
And as others have pointed out, minecraft was called that way before there was any crafting involved so...

What about DSMine?

Dubbicakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
smealum said:
ohnoes.png
)
That was released on the XBLA though. You're releasing for flashcarts which is an entirely different market wich is less likely to pay you (unfortunately). We're kinda tight-wads that way.. I'll definitely d/l the game when you release and (possibly) donate a few dollars to the cause. You're doing a bang up job.
I would say, however, that if you did make money off this Mojang would be a lot more likely to sue you for copying their game piece by piece so not making money is a good way to go on this. Obviously it would be a dick move but it would be understandable, tbh I'm surprised FOrtressCraft hasn't seen any legal action against it for blatantly copying large sections of Minecraft's gameplay. Admittedly there are no lines of code or anything that are the same between the two games but you could make a reasonable case against it.
Not possible, Notch has no say in the matter. He can tell them to remove the name and art from the game but he cannot take legal action over a genre of game.
He'd be biting himself in the pooper if he tried, Notch was inspired by a game called Infiniminer just DJArcas (FortressCraft) was inspired by Minecraft.

2-bias

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dicamarques said:
smealum said:
Dann Woolf said:
My point is, the game being called DScraft if there's no actual crafting in the game makes it a bit of a misnomer.
tongue.gif

What about DSMine?

DSMine and MineDS ... sounds like a Minesweeper clone
unsure.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Digs said:
Not possible, Notch has no say in the matter. He can tell them to remove the name and art from the game but he cannot take legal action over a genre of game.
He'd be biting himself in the pooper if he tried, Notch was inspired by a game called Infiniminer just DJArcas (FortressCraft) was inspired by Minecraft.
I would argue that its an exact CLONE of minecraft. Its going to have the same crafting mechanics, the same rail systems, same exact gameplay. Its like somebody making an exact copy of a TOmb Raider game but changing the main character, art style etc. but the general game (level design etc) being identical. I know its not quite the same but since Minecraft has no story unlike every other game I feel I can do a comparison on its hard to say.

Hell if Apple can sue Samsung for its interface being LIKE iOS why can't Mojang sue these guys for having their game be EXACTLY THE SAME as Minecraft.

Dubbicakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Digs said:
I would argue that its an exact CLONE of minecraft. Its going to have the same crafting mechanics, the same rail systems, same exact gameplay. Its like somebody making an exact copy of a TOmb Raider game but changing the main character, art style etc. but the general game (level design etc) being identical. I know its not quite the same but since Minecraft has no story unlike every other game I feel I can do a comparison on its hard to say.

Hell if Apple can sue Samsung for its interface being LIKE iOS why can't Mojang sue these guys for having their game be EXACTLY THE SAME as Minecraft.
It's basically a Classic mode just as this game is and will take on a life of its own once its core mechanics are to the community, and DJArcas' liking.
The end goal for FortressCraft in no where near that of MineCraft, Minecraft has you surviving and gather resources where FortressCraft, in DJArcas' head at the moment, will end up being more of a Multiplayer, Fortress vs Fortress game, last I heard there won't even be a survival mode in the game. After FortressCraft has had more time to grow it'll be no more like MineCraft than what MineCraft is to Lego's, they only share block building. Also, if you want to see a COMPLETE rip off of Minecraft look up a game called Total Miner, it has crafting, item collecting, huge caves systems to mine in, all of minecrafts resources, and even a recolor of it's interface.

But back to the legal stuff, no one can copyright a genre of video game, if that were true, id Software could sue the pants off anyone who made a game from a first person perspective. I know they're not the first to make an FPS, but they sure made it popular.
An interface to a computer system is completely different, unlike games where hardly anything is too original and just a new take on an old formula, an interface is that companies trademark design for their entire line of systems they sell, that's one of their key features to luring the customer into buying their product over the competition. Games on the other hand are copyright by their substance, story, characters, and so on. No game company owns the rights to a genre of game, no single company can can claim the rights to racing, shooting a gun, or even swinging a pickaxe for examples, they're not claimable experiences unique to a single game. If I wanted and had WB's permission I could copy every gameplay mechanic of Kingdom Hearts and use WB characters in Disneys place, Square Enix couldn't say a thing.

Everyone would know where my inspiration came from though, Kingdom Hearts, just as everyone knows FortressCraft was inspired by Minecraft, even DJArcas himself says the game was based off Minecrafts Classic mode. Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer and the list goes on for every modern game in existence.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay