Minecraft 1.8 Adventure update to bring NPC villages and more.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, that's really interesting... I'm surprised Notch and the team haven't tried to settle down and port the code to something a lot more efficient. I mean, I can understand why they wouldn't, but Minecraft is pretty unstable... or at least, there's a shitton of room available for optimization. It's not horrible, but there's a lot that could be tidied up. If the team's not careful the project might end up standing on frail sticks and duct tape
ohmy.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They'd basically have to write the whole code from scratch, and in a different language.
Writing it in java for the sake of browser support was a big mistake.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Java doesn't equal poor performance nowadays. The reason Minecraft is slow is because it wasn't programmed well to begin with, and this can happen in any language. It's just highly inefficient. He's making efforts to fix this, but it is not an easy or quick task at all, so even I can excuse that progress on it is slow (but there is progress).

Anyways what Minecraft lacks in RPG elements, Terraria lacks in atmosphere. I think it's a little too soon to be saying that Minecraft is trying to compete with Terraria, seeing as Terraria is only a little over a month old, and many of the upcoming minecraft features have been in planning or development for a long time now.

3D shit is a lot more complicated than 2D shit.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I disagree, Terraria has a lot more atmosphere with varied biomes, whilst a great deal of the minecraft surface world largely looks the same and offers no varied encounters.
There's like five variations of grasslands, then desert and snow, that's about it for the surface.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I disagree, Terraria has a lot more atmosphere with varied biomes, whilst a great deal of the minecraft surface world largely looks the same and offers no varied encounters.
There's like five variations of grasslands, then desert and snow, that's about it for the surface.
I'm not talking about visual, I'm talking emotionally. When I play minecraft I jump at every monster noise coming from another room, I welcome the sight of sheep in the morning as it means a lack of enemies, I triple-check doorways for creepers, I really feel like I'm stranded on a desert island and have to make the most of it.

I don't get that sort of feeling in Terraria, I don't feel like I'm actually there.

Not to say that Terraria's the one I like the least, Terraria's certainly got way more play time with me, but it lacks the atmosphere that Minecraft has.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but most people don't argue with this as it depends on people. I do agree with you, but people don't take atmosphere seriously anymore. Now it's just features and small update times.

Sad, really.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
but people don't take atmosphere seriously anymore.
*coughidocough*

I really wish people would stop comparing Minecraft to Terraria. They're too different to compare, yet people still do it anyways. It's like every Minecraft or Terraria topic I see, some idiot always has to bring up the other game, and say how it's better/worse. -_-

On-Topic: I can't wait. I'm mainly excited about the new terrain features (There's apparently going to be giant mushrooms!), but NPC villages and more farming is equally awesome.

Eckin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well if Mojang (I won't say Notch because I really doubt he does most of the coding, if he codes at all nowadays) adds more stuff from Terraria, I'd say Minecraft could become a less boring game for those who find it lacking.

The fact that combat isn't a rewarding experience (well you get to keep your shit if you are deep underground or far away from home I guess...) really bothers me. The fact that most of the time you don't have a set objective bothers most of my friends.

At least in Terraria you get loot for better gear, until you find a bug that makes getting the last tier of gear way too easy and then the game becomes boring as hell
tongue.gif

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
Slyakin said:
but people don't take atmosphere seriously anymore.
*coughidocough*

I really wish people would stop comparing Minecraft to Terraria. They're too different to compare, yet people still do it anyways. It's like every Minecraft or Terraria topic I see, some idiot always has to bring up the other game, and say how it's better/worse. -_-

On-Topic: I can't wait. I'm mainly excited about the new terrain features (There's apparently going to be giant mushrooms!), but NPC villages and more farming is equally awesome.
Heh, you should have seen a thread on the Terraria forum "Minecraft copying from Terraria"
rolleyes.gif

But anyways, I already spent my money on Terraria, I do have another 15 so so dollars, but I'm saving that up for a different game.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft and Terraria are two entirely different types of games. The only similarity really is when Terraria tried to tout its digging and mining mechanic as being incredibly useful--but what everyone really came to love was the combat (mundane as it is, but it's quite varied at the same time) and the uncovering new loot. It sorta turned into Borderlands with everyone scrambling for the next best thing that pops out from nowhere.

Hell, even comparing FortressCraft and Minecraft together isn't really fair. Sure, FortressCraft is basically as big of a ripoff as you can get, but still it isn't copying down to the letter. Users are free to create their own objects now, more complexities are being worked on--the conversations tend to always sound like the JRPG was first born, and suddenly every single game afterwards is trying to act like a JRPG. In truth, these other games like Terraria and FortressCraft are inspired and attempting to see what they can do with the formula--it's not that simple, since its a niche area to explore, and FortressCraft is likely to have pretty much been an attempt to try and cash in on the wild success of Minecraft--but still. There's no need for comparison.

You compare those little knock-off Chinese LCD games with actual games. Don't compare actual games with actual games :/

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Celice said:
Minecraft and Terraria are two entirely different types of games. The only similarity really is when Terraria tried to tout its digging and mining mechanic as being incredibly useful--but what everyone really came to love was the combat (mundane as it is, but it's quite varied at the same time) and the uncovering new loot. It sorta turned into Borderlands with everyone scrambling for the next best thing that pops out from nowhere.

Hell, even comparing FortressCraft and Minecraft together isn't really fair. Sure, FortressCraft is basically as big of a ripoff as you can get, but still it isn't copying down to the letter. Users are free to create their own objects now, more complexities are being worked on--the conversations tend to always sound like the JRPG was first born, and suddenly every single game afterwards is trying to act like a JRPG. In truth, these other games like Terraria and FortressCraft are inspired and attempting to see what they can do with the formula--it's not that simple, since its a niche area to explore, and FortressCraft is likely to have pretty much been an attempt to try and cash in on the wild success of Minecraft--but still. There's no need for comparison.

You compare those little knock-off Chinese LCD games with actual games. Don't compare actual games with actual games :/
Actually they are almost the same type of game. They are both Sandbox/Action games, and that's reason enough to compare them, even if they are different.

HerpDerped

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Is he trying to compete with Terraria in this respect?

Because seriously, wow, ONE new mob? The last terraria update added like 8.
But seriously I welcome the improved combat and adventuring aspect they're going for, it's the thing that minecraft was sorely lacking.

Also watch as the revised lighting engine drastically reduces performance and isn't fixed for at least a week or two.

machomuu said:
"A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever."
- Shigeru Miyamoto
Vacations don't count. Not to say that Minecraft is bad, but the development time is slow.

Have you ever tried creating games? There's a BIG F*****G GAP between a 2D game and a 3D game.
Notch has to make it generate in 3D, make rare items generate in 3D. You don't know how much algebra and other s**t goes into this game.

If I made a 2D game, the graphic would be easier to make, and adding stuff to the game isn't a b*tch to do.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually, Minecraft development is such a b*tch not because of the whole 3D aspect - making a model and animating it is far easier than making a sprite sheet, especially considering the Pixelosis that plagues Minecraft.

The problem here is the Voxel Engine, each "monster" is generated voxel by voxel (3D pixels, mind you), so it's basically 3 times the work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste