Microsoft's new Wireless Display update allows game streaming from PC to the Xbox One

xbone1_2040.0.0.jpg

Though yesterday's announcement of the PC version of Halo: The Master Chief Collection stole the show in terms of Microsoft news, that wasn't all that the company had up its sleeve in terms of new things that they're bringing to the table. After being beta tested in private for quite a while, Microsoft has officially updated their Wireless Display app to allow players to stream their PC games to their Xbox One systems. Similar in function to Steam's Big Picture Mode, you can remotely play your PC games on your TV by beaming it to the Xbox. Any games can be streamed, be it from the Epic, Steam, or even the Windows Games Store, with the only limit being on media streaming content, such as Netflix or Hulu, which shouldn't be an issue, as both services have native Xbox One apps. The update is now live, and can be downloaded off the Microsoft Store.

The same casting experience available on Microsoft's Surface Hub and Windows has finally arrived on Xbox One! Microsoft's Wireless Display app lets you wirelessly project your Windows or Android based devices to your Xbox One. - Instantly share photos you've just taken with family and friends without having the photos sync through a cloud service. - Share video clips you’ve recorded with family and friends - Project your favorite websites with Microsoft Edge to the biggest screen in your house - Mirror your Android games to your TV so your friends can watch - Play your PC games on your Xbox while using the Xbox controller as a gamepad - Use your PC on your Xbox One and use the Xbox controller as a mouse/keyboard

:arrow: Source

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping for this to be a thing! Does it work with emulators? Maybe retroarch? I could never connect to the console in dev mode, that might be the next best thing.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried wireless display between 2 same model laptops and the lag was unbearable. It was like remote desktop on a gprs connection despite the wifi beeing 866Mbit strong. (Wireless display creates an adhoc connection between devices through a virtual wifi adapter). I can't see to play games with this if even excel works like shit.

Last edited by GothicIII,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm finding more compelling reasons to pick up an XBOX lately. I just started using In-House Streaming with Steam, and while it works well (I can play FFXV on High settings over wireless with no stuttering/lag) it seems to be lacking in functionality, and I'm still hitting some issues in extended play sessions.

I'm betting Microsoft will have much better support for this, so after some comparison reviews come out I may actually be picking up a unit.

Brayton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my win10 pc can find my xbox but it just wont connect. i have tried wifi and ethernet same results

got it to work. all i needed to do was change to ''extend these displays'' on display options
Oh, good. You can use the command Super L + P to extend, or if it makes more sense, Windows key + P. P for project.

Medveitsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I tried wireless display between 2 same model laptops and the lag was unbearable. It was like remote desktop on a gprs connection despite the wifi beeing 866Mbit strong. (Wireless display creates an adhoc connection between devices through a virtual wifi adapter). I can't see to play games with this if even excel works like shit.
use ethernet

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I have a 250 mbps connection, but I still don't trust it to stream from a PC to TV.
If you're talking input lag, you're going to have that no matter what. It's just unavoidable. As for jitter or stutter? I haven't had that issue for a while. Hardwired or wireless. Gonna have to give this a try tonight or something.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking input lag, you're going to have that no matter what. It's just unavoidable. As for jitter or stutter? I haven't had that issue for a while. Hardwired or wireless. Gonna have to give this a try tonight or something.

I don't have an Xbox One X at all, but I've tried similar things on my previously owned Shield Tablet and didn't even work that well.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worthless. Just hook your PC up to your tv. About as brilliant as the stream to mobile announcement. PS4 has that feature like 5 years ago.

Reactions: SS4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.