Microsoft Lying About Sales of Xbox 360?

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to reports, there may be some truth in speculation that MS is lying about sales of the Xbox 360. Recently, they claimed that 10 million units of the 360 were sold in the USA this year, however, NPD stats total at around 4.7 million for the year!

QUOTE said:
That number comes from a Microsoft statement released in the wake of NPD’s December and 2009 report which reads: “In 2009 US Xbox 360 console sales topped 10m units, with more than 1.3m sold in December, contributing to a worldwide Xbox 360 install base of 39m.”

However, eagle-eyed MCV readers have pointed out that this number seems very much at odds with NPDs own numbers.

Though NPD has not released concrete 2009 figures, adding together the Xbox 360 sales from each of the firm’s monthly reports from 2009 comes to a total of 4.7m – less than half of Microsoft’s claimed amount.

News Source: MCVUK

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rofl2.gif

Seriously, Microsoft? You're gonna fudge the papers to make the 360 popular again? Yeah, it's beating the PS3 in sales, but the PS3 has been skyrocketing in popularity and the Xbox has simply run out of a lot of memorable titles (well, 360 exclusive titles).

D

Deleted_171835

wtf.gif
rofl.gif

Lol. Sly move by Microsoft.

Trying to make the Xbox 360 seem 'more popular'.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew there was something odd about those numbers

so those 39mil 360 sold was bs also I would assume

D

Deleted User

Low bow there so they make computers and they cant add, its very sad to hear.
laugh.gif

D

Deleted_171835

/quote]

Your name even proves my point. Saying all Microsoft products are bad is just bull-shit. PS2 = Disc Read Errors, PS3 = Overpriced, Wii = Underpowered. It's easy to nitpick on consoles. Every console has its flaws. You should just 'shut the hell up'.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if MS is counting all the 360's they had to fix or replace because of RRoD's and considered them a sale.

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sales might not be that high because of all the money you have to put into it to make it the best online experience, really $100 just for a WiFi adapter, $150 just for a 120GB HDD, $50 for Gold Live, and downloads are quite a bit. Even with those prices I still like my Xbox 360 the most of the 3 main consoles lol.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
What if it isn't MS's numbers that are innacurate, but NPD's? Why does everyone trust NPD so much anyway? They don't even count a major retailer like Walmart.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
What if it isn't MS's numbers that are innacurate, but NPD's? Why does everyone trust NPD so much anyway? They don't even count a major retailer like Walmart.

Would you rather trust sales results from a company who does the sales or from a non-biased, third party. You can't take anything Microsoft proclaims about the 360 without a grain of salt. Same goes for Sony and Nintendo and their respective systems.

xxbrentonxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im pretty sure MS mean 10 million worldwide, the sentence makes more sense that way seeing as how they mention the total worldwide sales. Just a simple mistake or misunderstanding probably.

Rayder said:
I wonder if MS is counting all the 360's they had to fix or replace because of RRoD's and considered them a sale.
Wouldn't be any different then sony including giveaway consoles in their sales numbers.

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
# In 2009, global Xbox 360 console sales topped 10 million units, with more than 1.3 million sold in December, contributing to a worldwide Xbox 360 install base of 39 million.

1Update: Microsoft issued a correction on Friday morning, saying that the Xbox 360 sold 10 million units globally in 2010, not in the U.S.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/01/dece.../#ixzz0cmeL2ZTu

So it was a mistake, already corrected the next morning still some sites didnt update it

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
rofl2.gif

Seriously, Microsoft? You're gonna fudge the papers to make the 360 popular again? Yeah, it's beating the PS3 in sales, but the PS3 has been skyrocketing in popularity and the Xbox has simply run out of a lot of memorable titles (well, 360 exclusive titles).

Where did you get that Xbox has ran out of exclusive titles?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fabis94 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
rofl2.gif

Where did you get that Xbox has ran out of exclusive titles?
Isn't that common knowledge? I wouldn't go as far that the 360 doesn't have any exclusives, but let's face it: Halo and Gears of War are the most important 360 exclusives. The last Halo game (at least the last one by Bungie) will be released this year, the next Gears of War will be released on the next generation Xbox. At the same time, the PS3 is getting games like Uncharted 2; instant GOTYs. And Heavy Rain, MAG etc. are not even out yet.

Edit: this post sounds like it's really anti-360. I don't like the 360, but I don't mean it like that and don't wantto start a flame-war or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-