Microsoft is now suspending users who use Retail Mode emulators on their Xbox consoles

xbawks.png

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Dev mode is just Windows 10? Or I guess it would be 11 now. I wouldn't know since I don't own any MS consoles.
Dev mode is just Windows 10? Or I guess it would be 11 now. I wouldn't know since I don't own any MS consoles.
No but steam doesn't let you run apps for a different platform either. You can run any non-commercial UWP apps you like though.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No but steam doesn't let you run apps for a different platform either. You can run any non-commercial UWP apps you like though.
What do you mean "another platform?" Steam lets you launch non-Steam apps through Steam, because it's running on top of either Windows or Linux. Xbox operating similarly would mean "shortcuts" to dev mode programs you can put on your retail mode UI, streamlining everything. It's ease of access/ease of use that Nintendo has their panties in a twist over, however, and Microsoft is likely towing that line. Leaving at least a somewhat "hard" barrier in place so casual users don't emulate.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was going to buy grand theft auto V for the 10th time, but because of emulators I played ice climbers instead

Literally stealing from the hungry devs at Rockstar.

PC just keeps steamrolling consoles.

Consoles steamrolling themselves and each other, and PC is John Trovolta meme. Thankfully the console wars catalyze competition and development, and PC is left to inherit everything.

Reactions: AlexMCS

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They cannot tell me what I can and can't do on my machines that I bought.
I am not an online gamer by any stretch and some of my consoles are banned already,
but the thing is I never bought a brand new console from a store for my personal use it's always been pawn shops and like ebay!
Therefore I never agreed to any TOS. Fuck them All!!!

You kids need to disconnect from the online world and go outside and play a little.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a VPN take a magical ride to Turkey, makes dev account cheaper
I did that a while back, dev mode was like 2 bux. I don't think I ever used it, I just bought it for fun, and just in case they stopped selling it.
Post automatically merged:

Doesn't dev mode cost something like 20 bucks? Why risk a ban by running modifications on retail mode when you have a completely official "jailbreak"?
It's 2 bux if you use a Turkey vpn. You can also get a Turkey vpn for free.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and tabzer

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since this article lacks a source:

Additionally, people uploading retail emulators risk having their console permanently banned, unlike the 15-day suspensions people have been receiving for using emulators on retail mode.

I despise the state of the video game industry at the moment.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I guess they can do whatever they want since it is their platform, but this is a dick move. The users downloading them aren't in the wrong, they should have the full right to do anything they would like with hardware they bought and own especially as it doesn't require modding or hacking the console in any way, and at the end of the day there really isn't any difference between a user running this in retail mode or them running it in dev mode, it should be treated the same. I understand banning the developers, after this long of putting up with it and not being able to keep them from just modifying the emulator enough to allow it to be reuploaded without triggering the filters every time M$ tries to stop them. Obviously, allowing emulators onto their store (especially ones that can play Nintendo consoles) could potentially get them in trouble, and they don't want to deal with that, so they have no choice but to take steps to stop it. But suspending people just for downloading and using it is a bit much.

Reactions: ZeroT21

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at the end of the day there really isn't any difference between a user running this in retail mode or them running it in dev mode

I think the problem is they found a loophole and they decided to exploit it for profit. There really is no need for emulators to exist on retail mode other than for convenience and to dodge MS's Dev Mode fee.

I agree suspending regular users might be an overreach, but these are also people that were willingly paying money to be on their authorized list of paid Patreon subscribers, they kinda put a target on their own backs.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I'm morally okay with people pirating Microsoft software and buying Windows keys from "unauthorized" resellers.
Its things like this that makes me glad i paid for dev mode access.
Get a VPN take a magical ride to Turkey, makes dev account cheaper
Can you run retail games though? I can't imagine many people want to have to switch between dev and retail modes. Also that might get your credit card locked. It happens enough when you use your card in another city in your state (or province).
Charging $2 per month through Patreon for access probably got a bunch of heat from MS. They are lucky the only thing being tossed around are ban hammers.
That's really all they can do. The fact is they sell the consoles in a lot of territories where if they tried to sue people for doing it they'd rule in favour of the defendant like in the Wii homebrew era lawsuits, then Microsoft would have to let people do what they want with their consoles or pull their stuff from some of the countries in the Americas and Europe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to...