Hacking MicroSD questions

cmonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I know that for 8GB, people recommend the Transcend Class 6 cards. However, I really don't think I would need all that much space, especially since I'm used to low capacity coming from owning a DS-X (512 mb).

Anyways, for the people who use 2 or 4 GB cards, which card do you use? And does it work flawlessly?

I plan on ordering Acekard once I find a reputable dealer that sells 2.1 cards. Currently looking into focalprice.com and hopefully I can get some answers here so I can order a MicroSD card on newegg around the same time.

imqchummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a 4gig kingston japan class 4 and it worked great for 99.9% of the games. The only game that froze on me is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. So I bought a Transcend 8gig class 6 and the same thing happened so i kind of spent extra money for nothing.

Next time, read the previous posts before asking something like this... It's been asked so many times.

alexkapi12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cmonster said:
So I know that for 8GB, people recommend the Transcend Class 6 cards. However, I really don't think I would need all that much space, especially since I'm used to low capacity coming from owning a DS-X (512 mb).

Anyways, for the people who use 2 or 4 GB cards, which card do you use? And does it work flawlessly?

I plan on ordering Acekard once I find a reputable dealer that sells 2.1 cards. Currently looking into focalprice.com and hopefully I can get some answers here so I can order a MicroSD card on newegg around the same time.

You could try the 4gb transcend card.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you aren't going for an 8gb I use a kingston and a sandisk 2gb. I don't know if they work with castlevania. I used the kingston and sandisk for gba and none of those games lagged.

cmonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
imqchummy said:
Next time, read the previous posts before asking something like this... It's been asked so many times.
I appreciate you taking your time to reply but I don't think that it was necessary for your to assume that I didn't do any research before posting. I've been coming to GBAtemp for years and the reason why my post count is so low is because I look for solutions before posting them.

While topics that I read up to 4 pages talks about 8 GB cards, I couldn't find any consensus for which cards are the BEST for anything lower, as demonstrated even in this thread alone with people giving mixed opinions. I know people buy Transcend 8 GB Class 6 cards, but that's not what I was asking. GBAtemp's search function being an overall search for the forum and not being forum specific also doesn't help me. I suggest you shouldn't jump to conclusions next time because you could come off as being rude. Instead, maybe you could point me to those posts/threads because that would certainly help.

Anyways, I know Kingston and Sandisks are the best brands when it comes to any kind of storage cards, which is why I was confused when I read about Transcend cards. I am a big fan of Castlevania games (Even though I have yet to beat OoE) so having a card that can play them would be ideal.

QUOTE(face56 @ Mar 17 2009, 04:07 AM) i use a 4GB Transcend. havent had single problem with it and it cost me about $7
How are the Castlevania games? I would totally go for that if it can play them. Or else, I'll go with A-Data cards like bollocks suggested.

Thanks guys for your inputs. If anyone has any other card recommendation, please post! More knowledge, the better
smile.gif

[edit]

Just wanted to check, are these the cards you guys were talking about?

A-Data 4GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211196

Transcend 4GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208408

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
cmonster said:
Anyways, I know Kingston and Sandisks are the best brands when it comes to any kind of storage cards, which is why I was confused when I read about Transcend cards.
Whoa, whoa, SanDisk is not the best when it comes to storage cards. SanDisk microSDs are some of the slowest (and probably the slowest among big brands) on the market.

cmonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vague Rant said:
cmonster said:
Anyways, I know Kingston and Sandisks are the best brands when it comes to any kind of storage cards, which is why I was confused when I read about Transcend cards.
Whoa, whoa, SanDisk is not the best when it comes to storage cards. SanDisk microSDs are some of the slowest (and probably the slowest among big brands) on the market.

Hmm, my mistake, then. I was probably thinking about Pro Duo sticks.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that most microSD cards can play Castlevania. The only problem is that the videos sometimes slow down with slower microSD card.

Japanese Kingston's microSD's have always worked just fine for me. Note that a microSD card (formatted FAT16) will generally be faster than a microSDHC card (formatted FAT32), so if you're getting a microSDHC card, you should make sure it's a class 6.

Oh, and always format with the Panasonic formatter.

-Bri

face56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cmonster said:
How are the Castlevania games? I would totally go for that if it can play them. Or else, I'll go with A-Data cards like bollocks suggested.

Thanks guys for your inputs. If anyone has any other card recommendation, please post! More knowledge, the better
smile.gif

[edit]

Transcend 4GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208408

I only ran the first 10 minutes of Order Of Ecclesia but it ran with no problem. and that is the card i have.

theberidox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sandisk may be not have the highest class cards but seem to work fine. Between my friends and me, we have 2 4 GB class 2 Sandisk cards and we have not had any issues. Actually, the only card issue I've had an issue with is my Transcend 8GB class 6 card that seems to like getting corrupted if I let my battery die while playing.

cmonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
I'm pretty sure that most microSD cards can play Castlevania. The only problem is that the videos sometimes slow down with slower microSD card.

Japanese Kingston's microSD's have always worked just fine for me. Note that a microSD card (formatted FAT16) will generally be faster than a microSDHC card (formatted FAT32), so if you're getting a microSDHC card, you should make sure it's a class 6.

Oh, and always format with the Panasonic formatter.

-Bri

Wow, that's news to me. I automatically assumed that microSDHC cards would be better since for some reason, Newegg and other sites don't list the speeds for MicroSD cards, so it's hard to tell. Now I'm really considering getting a 2GB with this new info, though would you recommend the regular Kingstons (Non-JPN) 2GB?

QUOTE(theberidox @ Mar 17 2009, 08:16 PM) Sandisk may be not have the highest class cards but seem to work fine. Between my friends and me, we have 2 4 GB class 2 Sandisk cards and we have not had any issues. Actually, the only card issue I've had an issue with is my Transcend 8GB class 6 card that seems to like getting corrupted if I let my battery die while playing.

Interesting. I wasn't planning on getting the 8GB but that kind of worries me if I were to get Transcend. Did you try formatting it with Panasonic Formatter?

Really good stuff here. I might get a 4GB Trascend for myself and 2GB Kingston for my friend since she doesn't game as much. The reason why I'm being so thorough with this is because she's not as techsavy and she won't be able to deal with problems if they were to arise. Not to mention she lives states away from me. :b

imqchummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry I didn't mean to be rude.
I said that because I read so many threads about micro sd that ask for which brand is good and how to format it and my favorite thread is: Should I buy an acekard 2, is it good, what kind of micro sd cards i should buy and where should I buy my stuff?
Don't take it personally, as I don't know if you red the previous posts or not but I know that a lot of people doesn't!
No offense!
I'd go with kingston before sandisk if I was you, but you can get cheap 4gig and 8gig transcend or adata on newegg for a around 20$ so it all depends on your budget.

cmonster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
imqchummy said:
Sorry I didn't mean to be rude.
I said that because I read so many threads about micro sd that ask for which brand is good and how to format it and my favorite thread is: Should I buy an acekard 2, is it good, what kind of micro sd cards i should buy and where should I buy my stuff?
Don't take it personally, as I don't know if you red the previous posts or not but I know that a lot of people doesn't!
No offense!
I'd go with kingston before sandisk if I was you, but you can get cheap 4gig and 8gig transcend or adata on newegg for a around 20$ so it all depends on your budget.

It's all good buddy, no hard feelings. I didn't really take it personally, but I could've if I was in the mood. As the cliche saying goes: ASSUMING makes an ASS out of U and ME. Assuming only leads to more assumptions, etc. I still appreciate your contribution to this thread.

My budget is about $40, and the thing is, that includes the Acekards. I just ordered two from FocalPrice so that leaves me with... about $20 bucks. Like I said in my previous post, I'm thinking about getting the 2GB Kingston for my friend(90% sure I will, unless the Non-Japan version has problems) but still not sure about the 4GB for myself since it has mix reviews.

I'm going to have to make a decision before April since the California sales tax is going to go up then.
frown.gif
Still, doesn't hurt to make a careful buying choice until it's over.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
adata 4gb class 6 is one of the fastest of any cards and ive never had any problems with it at all.
TWEWY worked fine on it but not on sandisk 2gb or kingston 1gb (supposed to be jap so said dx).
As i am lazy and hate removing stuff to add more stuff the 4gb isn't enough to store all the games i am vaguely interested in.
If you are the lazy type then id go for the big one straight away and thats way you wont have to upgrade and get annoyed like me^^.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cmonster said:
Wow, that's news to me. I automatically assumed that microSDHC cards would be better since for some reason, Newegg and other sites don't list the speeds for MicroSD cards, so it's hard to tell. Now I'm really considering getting a 2GB with this new info, though would you recommend the regular Kingstons (Non-JPN) 2GB?

Yes, there is more overhead with FAT32 (required for anything over 4GB), so FAT16 is generally faster. So if you go with microSDHC, you should make sure to get a class 6.

There are no consistent speed ratings for microSD cards (speed ratings were introduced with microSDHC cards).

To answer your questions -- I've always gotten Japanese Kingstons. I believe that Kingstons made in Taiwan are the same as Japanese ones, but I'd stay away from other "generic" Kingstons.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: