BOOT.DAT error

target1plus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a modchip installed on my Switch V2 (Mariko) last week by a guy found on Marketplace. So I can't confirm exactly which chip was used, but he told me it was HWFLY. During the modification, he supplied a 256 GB microSD card (SP Silicon Power). Everything worked fine all week long.

I quickly realized that 256 GB was not going to be enough so I ordered a Sandisk Ultra 512 GB card to increase my capacity and at the same time have better performance with a better card (Sandisk instead of SP).

I followed Rentry's guide to migrate my emunand to my new card and that's where my problems started. When the process was completed and I restarted the console with the new card, I got the error in red "boot.dat". I didn't panic at first because I told myself that I was going to put back my 256 GB card that I hadn't touched and that everything was going to work perfectly. However, I still had the "boot.dat" error. However after some trial and error by pressing the power button 2 times (sleep - unsleep) finally started it in Hekate and worked normally.

So I took the courage to try a second time with the 512 GB Sandisk card, but this time I tried a "clean" install from scratch following rentry guide for , but again the "boot.dat" error.

When I put my 256 GB card back, I still had problems with the "boot.dat", but I was able to bypass it again with clicks on power, but it was more complicated.

I'm now afraid to try other things and even my original card won't work.

I found several forums on the internet mentioning this kind of error, but few concrete solutions. A few times it's mentioned that the SD drive is probably dead, but I'd be surprised since before installing the modchip I never used an SD card and I used it less than five times since that.

Have you ever experienced this?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
An annoyed sd card that say "boot.dat"?

1688919814903.png

If so, you've got a SX modchip.

https://rentry.org/mys8q

target1plus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
An annoyed sd card that say "boot.dat"?

View attachment 382474

If so, you've got a SX modchip.
Maybe but why I started to get this error when swapping the sd card? The 512 gb have the exact same files structure including the same boot.dat from the 256 gb.

And why I have the same problem now with the 256 gb sd card? However it seems I can bypass it on the 256 gb doing sleep - unsleep with the power button. Is it normal when you start Hekate for the first time on a SD card?

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Honestly the best would be if you flash spacecraft-nx and get rid of the crappy SX firmware.
Normal the SX chips boot SXOS loader. But since it's so out of date, most change the boot.dat to boot hekate instead.

target1plus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly the best would be if you flash spacecraft-nx and get rid of the crappy SX firmware.
Normal the SX chips boot SXOS loader. But since it's so out of date, most change the boot.dat to boot hekate instead.
If I need to open my Switch to flash the modchip I'm in no luck. :(

JJO192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This can happen if the new Micro SD card is not formatted correctly. Use Disk Management to deleted the 512gb card. Then create new partition, make sure you choose 'primary' not logical. Or use Command prompt. Of course both alternatives will delete all data on the 512gb card.

CMD Commands

diskpart

Select 'Yes' to admin promt

list disk

select disk 'X' ('X' is your disk, example select disk 2. Be very careful and make sure you select the right disk, ie your 512gb card)

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=fat32 quick (or) format fs=exfat quick

active

assign

exit

Then go through the process of setting the 512gb card up.

Last edited by JJO192,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Windows isn't good at formatting larger cards properly with fat32 (Microsoft... come on!)
I would recommend GUIFormat from Ridgecorp

target1plus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I could understand that my 512 GB card was not well formatted. I must admit that on first try it was even in exfat straight from the box or maybe one of the files was corrupted, etc.

However, what can explain that after the two failed attemps when I put back my "working" 256 card I got the same error "boot.dat"? The two times I could however remove it pressing power button two times (sleep - unsleep)

Should I exclude a faulty SD card reader if I can play normally on my 256gb microSD even if basically every solution on the net to solve this error looks as to replace the reader?

Last edited by target1plus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4