Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens,

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a child of the 80's I grew up watching the original series. I also loved the movies, and at that age I was able to distinguish that the stories of the sets of Turtles were different, and both differed from the comic books quite a bit.

Then in 2003 TMNT started and I wanted NOTHING to do with it. They were not the same turtles I knew and loved, but the series followed the comic books more.

It wasn't until Turtles Forever, where three sets of turtles(prime, 80's, 2003) came together that I loosened up a bit on how essentially there are multiple versions of our favorite turtles.
gallery_252969_709_326902.png
Of course the 80's turtles cracking jokes was the best part.

Of course, I think its a huge cope out when someone goes the alien/aliens did it route, and no matter what it will always feel weird but really, Its not worth getting your panties in a twist about it especially with series like this that was started as a satirical comic book that very quickly expanded.
""
On the subject of messing with the "canon", It's actually the co creator of the original comic book series Peter Laird that is telling everyone to "take a chill pill" and "relax" NOT Micheal Bay. Any decision on "canon" have been decided by this guy, and he seems to be on board. Hell, in the last volume of the comics he made them in their thirties.

Yeah, it's asinine, but let's get over it and accept it already. Maybe the movie after this one will be about the turtles in their 30's, who knows....
The whole point is that Aliens are not Mutants, thus making them Aliens and calling them Mutants does not make any sense.
The co-creator of the turtles making them in their 30's and still being "teenage mutant ninja turtles", also, does not make any sense, but its his choice to make, just like how he's giving this alien thing a thumbs up.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a child of the 80's I grew up watching the original series. I also loved the movies, and at that age I was able to distinguish that the stories of the sets of Turtles were different, and both differed from the comic books quite a bit.

Then in 2003 TMNT started and I wanted NOTHING to do with it. They were not the same turtles I knew and loved, but the series followed the comic books more.

It wasn't until Turtles Forever, where three sets of turtles(prime, 80's, 2003) came together that I loosened up a bit on how essentially there are multiple versions of our favorite turtles.

Of course, I think its a huge cope out when someone goes the alien/aliens did it route, and no matter what it will always feel weird but really, Its not worth getting your panties in a twist about it especially with series like this that was started as a satirical comic book that very quickly expanded.
""
On the subject of messing with the "canon", It's actually the co creator of the original comic book series Peter Laird that is telling everyone to "take a chill pill" and "relax" NOT Micheal Bay. Any decision on "canon" have been decided by this guy, and he seems to be on board. Hell, in the last volume of the comics he made them in their thirties.

Yeah, it's asinine, but let's get over it and accept it already. Maybe the movie after this one will be about the turtles in their 30's, who knows....
The whole point is that Aliens are not Mutants, thus making them Aliens and calling them Mutants does not make any sense.
The co-creator of the turtles making them in their 30's and still being "teenage mutant ninja turtles", also, does not make any sense, but its his choice to make, just like how he's giving this alien thing a thumbs up.

It's his choice, but that would be (and this is) an incredibly poor decision regardless. Considering that one of the core concepts of the series is being blatantly ignored, it's easy to see understand why fans are upset.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

""

It's his choice, but that would be (and this is) an incredibly poor decision regardless. Considering that one of the core concepts of the series is being blatantly ignored, it's easy to see understand why fans are upset.
Just like how im sure fans were upset when he made them in their 30's, but that volume lasted for like 9 years or something like that. Im sure it wouldnt have lasted as long if it didn't sell. If fans can look past them being called teenage mutant ninja turtles in their 30's, Im sure they can get past the mutant/alien thing.

I agree that it is silly, as I stated in my original post, but Peter Laird has a point..... "relax"

[yt]R_K6971WmAs[/yt]

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

""

Just like how im sure fans were upset when he made them in their 30's, but that volume lasted for like 9 years or something like that. Im sure it wouldnt have lasted as long if it didn't sell. If fans can look past them being called teenage mutant ninja turtles in their 30's, Im sure they can get past the mutant/alien thing.

I agree that it is silly, as I stated in my original post, but Peter Laird has a point..... "relax"

[yt]GFLGRidfFo4[/yt]

It's worth noting that the comic is entirely different from the rest of the franchise (it's a dark, bloody, violent parody of the genre), and that it really isn't all that popular anyway. It's a small, less mainstream affair (from what I understand), so of course a majority series fans who were introduced to it from the different movies, show, etc. wouldn't be aware of it.

And, like, dude, age is just a state of mind.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

""

[yt]GFLGRidfFo4[/yt]

It's worth noting that the comic is entirely different from the rest of the franchise (it's a dark, bloody, violent parody of the genre), and that it really isn't all that popular anyway. It's a small, less mainstream affair (from what I understand), so of course a majority series fans who were introduced to it from the different movies, show, etc. wouldn't be aware of it.

And, like, dude, age is just a state of mind.
I said that the comics and the cartoons and the movies all differed from eachother in the first post. It's right there in all these quotes. I also mentioned how TMNT 2003 was more closely based on the comics as opposed to the 80's series(i think we should stop calling them the 80's turltes too, as a majority of the series took place in the 90's) and the movies not related to either of the shows.

and the only thing I mention age for, was that even at a young age (6-7 years old) I was able to understand that the stories(even all of the origin stories) were different.

also worth noting the comic books came first and established everything, yeah not everyone is into buying comic books anymore, but to say that seems asinine aswell.

It was a parody of another comic book at the time, but was such a success, well, you know.....

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='gloweyjoey']

...Right, you recognize that all of the different series in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are all, well, different; naturally, the fanbases for each is different (there's overlap, but that's usually more between fans of the movies and the two cartoon shows). So arguing that this shouldn't be a problem for all the fans because a small subset of them continued to read a relatively low profile comic with a similar change just doesn't make sense.

Also, it really doesn't matter if the comic established everything; it's practically irrelevant now. Setting the spark for the franchise is great and all, but if the most successful and (currently) popular parts of it diverged and took from there, then that's more important in this discussion of the fanbase.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
whats your problem with having them coming from space, when the problem is obviously that they are not ninja turtles, but hero turtles!

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:blink:

haha they managed to turn the turtles into a generic japanese mecha anime
I love how he said "SUPA MEWTATIONTOIU" :lol:

btw, the background music sounds like a mix between Fire Emblem and Golden Sun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum