Hacking Metroid Prime Trilogy - How to play on 3.2U

Dent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone figured out how to get the DVD9 of MPT (that has been BrickBlocked) working through the disc channel (and not through GeckoOS, which does work by the way) while still on Menu 3.2U? I have a Wiikey1. Do not say update to 4.1. I wish to stay on 3.2 and if others have got it working through the regular disc channel and are still on 3.2 I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

duy64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure why you don't want to update to 4.1 or 4.2 for that matter, but that's up to you.
I updated to 4.2 and everything works great.
Updating is the only way for it to work from what I can see.
You can try to install ios and what not, but that's you have to try and find out.

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Since you have a mod chip, does this mean that you aren't softmodded?

I believe you CANNOT run it from the disc channel because each game (MP1,MP2,MP3) need a separate .dol file to load it from. Read this link. btw, I'm also dl'ing the game.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
acesniper said:
EDIT: Since you have a mod chip, does this mean that you aren't softmodded?

I believe you CANNOT run it from the disc channel because each game (MP1,MP2,MP3) need a separate .dol file to load it from. Read this link. btw, I'm also dl'ing the game.
The alt dol stuff is ONLY if you're playing from USB. For a disc loader you just have to patch the ISO to run off of IOS249

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But this guy says that he has a Wiikey installed. Doesn't that mean that he isn't softmodded
unsure.gif

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Has anyone figured out how to get the DVD9 of MPT (that has been BrickBlocked) working through the disc channel (and not through GeckoOS, which does work by the way) while still on Menu 3.2U? I have a Wiikey1. Do not say update to 4.1. I wish to stay on 3.2 and if others have got it working through the regular disc channel and are still on 3.2 I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Before recommending anything, I'd like to ask how exactly it's not working. What happens when you try to launch it?

acesniper said:
But this guy says that he has a Wiikey installed. Doesn't that mean that he isn't softmodded
unsure.gif

Not to be condescending, but he said that it worked in GeckoOS, so that would have to mean there is some sort of softmod in place here.

dodol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dent, just curious do you have anything to bypass firmware upgrade check (preloader,etc) or not ?
considering it worked in GeckoOS.

Dent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dodol said:
Dent, just curious do you have anything to bypass firmware upgrade check (preloader,etc) or not ?
To bypass the firmware upgrade check I have the built-in Wiikey1 function to block updates turned on (along with dev mode on, which is needed for the block updates function to work, Wiikey1 users know what I am talking about). If I turn off the Wiikey block updates function then I get the expected Wii Update banner in the disc channel. I went through the list of IOS's that are on the DVD9 update partition and made sure all of my IOS's were either right at or above the updates on the disc (used DOP-IOS, and no stubs were installed).
To the person who was talking about me using a softmod, the answer is no soft mod is being used. Running Gecko OS is through the Homebrew channel which has nothing to do with a soft mod.
Someone else talked about patching the game to use IOS 249. I could do that and maybe it would work but why doesn't it work using the IOS35 which I believe is the one for this particular game?
The only IOS that I did not update is the mios-v9 which is on the disc as I am not completely sure what this IOS is for and whether the game would actually use this mIOS to run.
Oh yeah, to answer the question of what happens when I try to run it, with update blocking with the Wiikey on, I do not see the MPT banner in the disc channel. When I click on the bannerless disc channel, it then says Wii read error or disc cannot be read, something like that. If I just run the same disc through Gecko OS, it boots up fine. Also like I said before, if I turn the update blocker off, then I see the Wii Update banner in the disc channel.
Also to avoid confusion, my copy of MPT has the update partition with all the updates on it. I will eventually make a brickblocked copy once I figure out what is needed IOS or otherwise for this game to run.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dent said:
dodol said:
To bypass the firmware upgrade check I have the built-in Wiikey1 function to block updates turned on (along with dev mode on, which is needed for the block updates function to work, Wiikey1 users know what I am talking about). If I turn off the Wiikey block updates function then I get the expected Wii Update banner in the disc channel. I went through the list of IOS's that are on the DVD9 update partition and made sure all of my IOS's were either right at or above the updates on the disc (used DOP-IOS, and no stubs were installed).
To the person who was talking about me using a softmod, the answer is no soft mod is being used. Running Gecko OS is through the Homebrew channel which has nothing to do with a soft mod.
Someone else talked about patching the game to use IOS 249. I could do that and maybe it would work but why doesn't it work using the IOS35 which I believe is the one for this particular game?
The only IOS that I did not update is the mios-v9 which is on the disc as I am not completely sure what this IOS is for and whether the game would actually use this mIOS to run.
Oh yeah, to answer the question of what happens when I try to run it, with update blocking with the Wiikey on, I do not see the MPT banner in the disc channel. When I click on the bannerless disc channel, it then says Wii read error or disc cannot be read, something like that. If I just run the same disc through Gecko OS, it boots up fine. Also like I said before, if I turn the update blocker off, then I see the Wii Update banner in the disc channel.
Also to avoid confusion, my copy of MPT has the update partition with all the updates on it. I will eventually make a brickblocked copy once I figure out what is needed IOS or otherwise for this game to run.

Well, you have the homebrew channel so you can have the aid of softmods. (That's what I consider a softmod personally.)

Anyway, you should use Starfall or Preloader to block the updates on the wii. It has always worked for me. (Although I don't use a modchip. This should work for you though.)

Dent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
s3phir0th115 said:
Dent said:
dodol said:

Well, you have the homebrew channel so you can have the aid of softmods. (That's what I consider a softmod personally.)

Anyway, you should use Starfall or Preloader to block the updates on the wii. It has always worked for me. (Although I don't use a modchip. This should work for you though.)
But my Wiikey1 already blocks the updates so I don't believe I need Starfall or Preloader to also do that for me. I want to be able to run the game with the normal disc channel as opposed to going through Gecko OS. I've gotten every other game to work properly by updating the necessary IOS's but this game has me stumped.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dent said:
s3phir0th115 said:
Dent said:
dodol said:

But my Wiikey1 already blocks the updates so I don't believe I need Starfall or Preloader to also do that for me. I want to be able to run the game with the normal disc channel as opposed to going through Gecko OS. I've gotten every other game to work properly by updating the necessary IOS's but this game has me stumped.

I know, but games have been actively trying to block modchips. If you install preloader or use starfall, they'll always block the update as they're done at the level where the check is made.

It really wouldn't be as difficult as it may sound. Starfall in particular can be finished in less than a minute.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1