Metroid Prime 4 gets new trailer, releases next year

After all the waiting, Metroid Prime 4 has finally gotten a new trailer. A two-minute teaser shows off some long-awaited gameplay, and the visuals. The game also now has an official subtitle, and is now called Metroid Prime 4: Beyond. A full release date hasn't been confirmed, but Nintendo has locked the game in for a 2025 release.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 11 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Problem with this game - Metroid Prime 4 reported to running at 720p when docked. No 1080p for this game. That's awful news.

Metroid Prime 4 will run at 720p on the current Switch, will it be 4K on Switch 2?

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9891...p-on-the-current-switch-it-be-4k-2/index.html

Everyone will understand about Nintendo Switch hardware is still weak. :(
people can't tell if it's switch 2 footage because it's looking too good --> someone reports it's running 720p --> god that's awful!! myyyy eyes are killling meeeeeeeeee

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem with this game - Metroid Prime 4 reported to running at 720p when docked. No 1080p for this game. That's awful news.

Metroid Prime 4 will run at 720p on the current Switch, will it be 4K on Switch 2?

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9891...p-on-the-current-switch-it-be-4k-2/index.html

Everyone will understand about Nintendo Switch hardware is still weak. :(

You could at least also mention it runs at 60 fps which is a good thing.

Too bad humans have problems with their eyes I can play a 720p game at 60 fps no problem.

I grew up on the NES where sometimes you couldn't even tell what things on the screen were I personally will be fine.

Right in the article it says it looks better than Metroid Prime Remastered, but no mention from you.

the game runs at a rock-solid 60 FPS with even more impressive visuals than last year's brilliant Metroid Prime Remastered.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9891...p-on-the-current-switch-it-be-4k-2/index.html

I'm not even sure the article confirms the final product will be 720p, just that the build just shown was. It's based off a Youtube video linked in the article that the guy broke down the build shown.

Last edited by Jayinem,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Too bad humans have problems with their eyes I can play a 720p game at 60 fps no problem.
It's not a problem in terms of readability, it's a problem in the sense that Xbox 360 and PS3 were playing games at or above that resolution nearly two decades ago. That said, TotK routinely drops to much lower resolutions and still isn't able to maintain a constant 30 FPS, so by Switch standards at least it's got solid fidelity and performance. I'd expect Switch 2 to get the same frame rate at 1080p or even 1440p via the use of DLSS.

MayorBryce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm not a Metroid fan, this game does look quite technically impressive. 720p60 docked is pretty good for the graphical effects it's pushing. I'm expecting the game to use dynamic resolution on Switch 2 that will target 60fps, with a ceiling of 4k, a floor of 1080p, and an average of 1440p.

Regarding backwards compatibility, most Switch games are already ready for 60fps and 4k patches. Just look at Paper Mario TTYD, code exists for 60fps support and it was relatively simple to patch in. Same with Zelda TOTK. It would be trivial to push a patch that adds support for Switch 2 resolutions and framerates.

Thing is, I doubt people would be willing to spend $10 upgrading their games for Switch 2. The average person might want 4k support, but most people don't care about framerate. And if you have a small game library of 5 games, that's $50 right there just to play your games at 4k or 60fps (or maybe even both...). People with expansive collections will find themselves having to drop $400 or so for the new system and another couple hundred on upgrades.

Reactions: Xzi

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but most people don't care about framerate.
Everything else is fine.
But it is hard for me to believe that part.
I would say people mostly care about framerate, specially when the framerate is uneven or below 30fps.
(or less than 120fps once you have experienced that, but anyway 30fps or 60fps depending on the type of game are a lower bound... I don't believe many people wouldn't find it annoying those many times when e.g. BotW, ToTK or Xenoblade 2/3 dropped below 30)

That said, I don't think anybody would or should be willing to pay any kind of upgrade fee, but that is another topic.

MayorBryce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say people mostly care about framerate, specially when the framerate is uneven or below 30fps.
I should’ve clarified better. If a game is dipping below 30fps, people will notice and complain. But, I doubt little Tim and his parents are going to want to pay to be able to run the game at 60fps, especially if the game runs fine at 30.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not a problem in terms of readability, it's a problem in the sense that Xbox 360 and PS3 were playing games at or above that resolution nearly two decades ago.
Not always
Let's take Call of Duty Black Ops : 60 fps but between 600p to 720p on PS3.

Red Dead Redemption : 30 fps 600p on PS3 (with a garbage drawing distance compared to 360), 720p on Xbox 360

Like, even the Killzones games couldn't get a stable 30 fps at 720p. This is definitely looking much better. That's not a feat tho, looking better than any ps3/360 game should be the bare minimum.

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good point here.
What makes a good metroid ?

M1 and super defined the genra.
For me, the most linear one was FUSION. I loved it back in 2004, but when I killed the final boss, I seriously asked to myself, "is the prologue finally over so we can have the main dish ?" And...nope, obviously.

DREAD is something bizarre at first glance:

- Music is bad, really really bad for this kind of game. THIS IS HERESY, pure and simple.
- 2.5D environments are lacking, which is a shame when we know the Lord of Shadows serie by MercurySteam, but hard to have a good art direction if you play a 100% subterranean game.
- Adam is still there, giving you directions, which I HATE.

But then...
- Controls are top notch
- Combat can be really dynamic due to counters at the expense of the armed canon purpose
- Upgrades have a lot of novelty to them, which is quite a feat
- Map is insanely complicated but quick to go through
- Boss fights are FUN
- Thrilling 'ALIEN' chase scenes are both hard and rewarding
- Chara design is really cool overall
- Macho sidenote: Samus talks only ONE time, which is perfect, but she lacks this hips balancing from 3DS remake

You can't tell me you didn't enjoyed the final boss fight.
Can you ?
RB was a bitch, but the fight had its moments for sure.
hard to have a good art direction if you play a 100% subterranean game
I mean the existence of several other metroid games disagree.
Controls are top notch
Never liked the 360 aim, or moving with analog controls. These things weren't necessary with how the past games were designed anyways.
Combat can be really dynamic due to counters at the expense of the armed canon purpose
I wouldn't really call giving samus a 1-hit kill move very dynamic
Map is insanely complicated but quick to go through
That's actually my issue. My favorite part of a metroid is getting lost. I mentioned the railroading, which I honestly think is worse here than in Fusion. Yeah Adam tells you what your objective is, but there's still plenty opportunity to get lost on the way. If you've ever had the chance to look at miiverse when Fusion came out on Wii U VC, there was plenty evidence of that. Dread has sequence breaks, but they're all super specific out of the way things. I never actually got lost, afaik David Jaffe is the only person to ever get stuck in Dread. Zero Mission had the perfect balance imo where the map has really intuitive & natural sequence breaks built in, where even on my first playthrough, with just some plain curiosity I discovered some sequence breaks. I don't find any of them in Dread to be remotely natural.
Boss fights are FUN
I know I'm the minority on this one, but I hate Dread's (& SR's non-metroid) boss fights. Metroid boss fights to me were never about super strict trial and error. I just never found these types of bosses to be fun. Kraid was alright though. Even then, the bosses in this game make E-Tanks feel worthless because even if you pick up all that you possibly can prior to an encounter each boss seems to scale, in that they all kill you in like 5-7 hits each. Its more frustrating to me than anything and is a huge pace breaker for me.
Thrilling 'ALIEN' chase scenes are both hard and rewarding
By virtue of being killed in 1-shot, I suppose I can't argue that they do elicit a sense of thrill, but again, more of a nuisance and pace breaker than anything to me.
Macho sidenote: Samus talks only ONE time, which is perfect, but she lacks this hips balancing from 3DS remake
Agreed, though I'm not sure what you mean about the hips. The pencil neck they gave her does make some of the cool/tough action poses she does look goofy though. I don't really like any of the suits in the game, they all look like FF13's boss designer made them.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country

Relevant. :rofl2:

How is someone's headcanon relevant? I googled it rather than sit through that video, am I correct in thinking this clickbait is based on this tweet?
honestly love the idea that #Samus is a trans woman. In my mind, she is and always will be.
the spooky trans agenda of people tweeting headcanons. Just wait until you find out about fanfiction, lol

64bitmodels

Amateur Nintendo Apathetic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metroid games don't exist to give someone a graphics boner, they exist because some of the best gameplay there is
I mean, Metroid Prime is a great and explorative Metroidvania but its shooting gameplay wasn't anything compared to Max Payne or Ratchet and Clank or Half Life 2. Lack of a good second stick meant the aiming had to be performed on lock on, and the Wii game's aiming was novel but still not as good as the PC shooters of the time like F.E.A.R and Crysis.

people liked Metroid Prime because it was a beautiful and imaginative 3d remake of Metroid's old environments, in all their Sci-fi glory. It's a beautiful and immersive game in every aspect. So graphics should be important here in Metroid, more than pretty much any other Nintendo franchise. That showing looked pretty meh-decent, kind of disappointing.
Post automatically merged:

to much nostalgia pandering (musc, sfx, scenes)
music??? SFX????

dude using SFX that everyone knows from the game is not "nostalgia pandering" do you think they should redo all the sounds just because

Reactions: sarkwalvein

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could at least also mention it runs at 60 fps which is a good thing.

I grew up on the NES where sometimes you couldn't even tell what things on the screen were I personally will be fine.

Right in the article it says it looks better than Metroid Prime Remastered, but no mention from you.

the game runs at a rock-solid 60 FPS with even more impressive visuals than last year's brilliant Metroid Prime Remastered.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9891...p-on-the-current-switch-it-be-4k-2/index.html

I'm not even sure the article confirms the final product will be 720p, just that the build just shown was. It's based off a Youtube video linked in the article that the guy broke down the build shown.
Switch 2 will be able to upscale to 4k using dlss, which will be its trick, so I don't care too much about it being 720p or 900p internally.

My eyes+oled can tell a difference so higher resolution would be better, but I agree, the higher framerate is the far far more important of the two. Fingers crossed switch 2 has 120hz output (I'm a dreamer)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: ood morning +1