Gaming Metroid Prime 3 10/10

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture005xr5.jpg

Yes, a 10/10 by none other than Nintendo Power. I'm typing up the article from the scan right now, I have all but the last column done, which seems impossibly illegible. Can anyone with mad reading skills please do the last column?

EDIT: Whoops, removed for high bandwidth use. Visit Gonintendo if you don't believe me.

EDIT: Found a full version on the IGN boards. Enjoy. This confirms that MP3 does use WiiConnect24 (which I think has to do with the Achievement like things you get in game).

QUOTE said:
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Rating: 10
Platform: Wii
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Retro Studios
ESRB: Teen

(The captions say "Grand Finale" and "Shoot first; stare in awe at the level design later.")

With the current rise in popularity of games suited for a wide audience, there's been a lot of nervous speculation that core gamers looking for immersive graphics, a deep story, and an intense challenge might be left out in the cold. If Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is an indicator, all the doubting can stop now-the stunning visuals and immersive gameplay to the finale of the prime series proves that the Wii is ready for the mainstream gamer.

Built from scratch for the Wii, Corruption is possibly the first game that can't be confused graphically with the systems of the previous hardware generaton. But while Corruption showcases great lighting, special effects, and an unwavering frame rate, the real brilliance is the game's artistry. The locations, the enemies, objects of all sizes-the galaxy that bounty hunter Samus Aran patrols is absolutely stunning. No matter whether you're climbing along mossy cliff walls or wandering the halls of a steampunk-inspired, abandoned factory in the sky, you'll find extraordinary attention to detail everywhere you look. Space stations and ancient ruins are displayed with equal deftness-it's evident Retro's talented artists had a clear vision and were given the opportunity to execute it perfectly. Combined with excellent audio work and a stellar soundtrack, the experience is nothing short of completely immersive.

If you haven't been following along with the Prime series, don't worry; Corruption's storyline stands on its own just fine, although fans of the trilogy will also enjoy Corruption's continuity with the previous games' plots. Corruption takes place about six months after the end of Metroid Prime 2, and Samus must stop a computer virus from infecting the Galactic Federation's network, an act believed to be the work of the space pirates. Before she can hop into action, she gets infected with Phazon, a material that she can use to boost her strength for short periods of times, but that can also kill her if she's not careful. Armed with this new power, she must first save the network, then attack the space pirates head-on. To keep you on the right track between story moments, you'll be reminded occasionally of your next objective-considering the amount of freeroaming exploration you can do, the reminders come in handy.

As with the other Metroid (Prime) games, calling Corruption a first-person shooter is misleading-there's nearly as much adventure, puzzle-solving, and platforming as there is combat. The secret is flawless level design that allows for a lot of freedom to explore, but you always have the sense that you're in the right place at the right time, and you know when you've reached a dead end because you don't have the right equipment. The developers at Retro have the uncanny ability to maintain platforming elements from a first-person perspective like no other studio- you can jump across wide gaps with confidence and visualize a route through a sticky situation. Samus' new arsenal of weapons also integates smartly into the level design, as many of them serve secondary purpose for opening doors pr solving puzzles.

Since its introduction, gamers have seen great potential in the Wii remote as a a natural controller for first-person action games. But while several titles have pulled off the method adequately, Corruption is the first that doesn't leave any room for you to consider whether it would be different with a traditional controller. From shooting enemies to targeting grapple points to scanning artifacts into you logbook, the system works impeccably. You'll also use the Wii remote to manipulate devices, such as to insert an object into a wall by shoving the remote toward the screen, then cranking it clockwise to lock the object in place. You'll use the nunchuk's motion controls to latch onto objects to perform various tasks, such as ripping debris away from a door, or a shield off an enemy. When we tried these maneuvers earlier in production, the fely merely adequate-obvious refinements have now made this one of the most polished aspects of the game.

There will be murmurs about the lack of a multiplayer mode a rather light implementation of WiiConnect24-ignore them. Metroid has always been about quality single-player adventuring. To that end, Corruption exemplifies the Metroid experience better than any game before it. Deeply enjoyable and satisfying, this is the title that gamers have been waiting for."

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
10/10? Wow, Im not surprised at all. When I played the game at Nintendo World, I knew it was gonna be one hell of a game.
happy.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo Power is not very biased at all. They will even give some Nintendo published games a lower score than the press average. The only other game to score a 10 by them was RE4 for Gamecube, and Nintendo had nothing to do with that title.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't think that just because Nintendo Power is the "official" magazine, that they don't grade fairly. There are times when they give their own games lousy reviews. They gave Geist a 5 out of 10. That's lower then the average ratio of reviews from 55 places (source). Maybe the reason Nintendo Power gives Nintendo games good scores most of the time is because...gee I don't know...because they're fun?

Talk about bias xD Of course they'll give it a perfect point, it's the friggin' Nintendo Power. I'll wait for IGN's review.

LAWL. I'll reference Penny Arcade on this one. "IGN whose official rating scale starts at 7"

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo Power is not very biased at all. They will even give some Nintendo published games a lower score than the press average. The only other game to score a 10 by them was RE4 for Gamecube, and Nintendo had nothing to do with that title.

They can't be too obvious but you'll find the reviews are on average higher than other independent reviewers.
I'm sure MP3 will be good but I'm not going to expect it to be a 10/10 game.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

They can't be too obvious but you'll find the reviews are on average higher than other independent reviewers.
I'm sure MP3 will be good but I'm not going to expect it to be a 10/10 game.
Okay, until one of you guys starts givin' me numbers, I'm thinking the same thing, why would nintendo power NOT be praising their own product?
Some numbers have been given that may make me think otherwise, now who will prove that they'll give any crap a good score?

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Talk about bias xD Of course they'll give it a perfect point, it's the friggin' Nintendo Power. I'll wait for IGN's review.

LAWL. I'll reference Penny Arcade on this one. "IGN whose official rating scale starts at 7"
Haha well maybe that's kinda true but can you name me a better site? Gamespot? 1UP? Pfffff puh-leeeaaasssseeeeeee
rofl2.gif
At least IGN seems to be the most honest among all of those. I like their reviews and their ratings look fine to me.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh and did you guys know that Nintendo Power gave Metroid Prime Hunters [for DS] a whopping 8.5 ? Does anyone think that game actually deserves thata rating ?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured someone would be a whiny bitch in here and cry that NOA was propping up their own game soon as I saw who had the early copy.

Before trying to play that retarded ass cop-out card why not go back through the history of that magazine and see how many perfect scores they've ever given under that 10point scale, or even the 5 point one too. I think it's either one or never...so that says plenty to me despite being a first party mag. If the game really truly is that damn good and unflawed to deserve it, then good. NOA has no reason to prop up that game really anyways as they know it'll sell itself even if it got average scores considering who they're pandering to.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I figured someone would be a whiny bitch in here and cry that NOA was propping up their own game soon as I saw who had the early copy.

Before trying to play that retarded ass cop-out card why not go back through the history of that magazine and see how many perfect scores they've ever given under that 10point scale, or even the 5 point one too. I think it's either one or never...so that says plenty to me despite being a first party mag. If the game really truly is that damn good and unflawed to deserve it, then good. NOA has no reason to prop up that game really anyways as they know it'll sell itself even if it got average scores considering who they're pandering to.

Nope. Lots of people buy games basing their decision on reviews from magazines like this. It doesn't matter if they've never given out a perfect 10 before. It's the games that deserve a 5 or under that are propped up to 6 or 7.
rolleyes.gif

Don't be such a fanboy, I doubt this game deserves a 10 but I'd love to be wrong. I always go to metacritic.com if I'm looking for a game and the nintendo power reviews are mostly higher than average.

It's a shitty magazine and I don't know why anyone would buy the piece of shit.

This is my opinion however and I'm sure most (all?) of you would disagree, I'd rather not hype a game up and be let down when I find out it's not nearly as good as what people make out it is.

Yeah sometimes they score a game low but normally this isn't a game nintendo developed...example:

Puzzle Quest

Nintendo Power

4 out of 10 = 40%

Average Ratio: 82.0%

hrmm yeah they sure did fuck that one up

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think most people who buy gaming magazines, especially first party magazines already have their mind made up about purchases.

edit-
I should probably elaborate;
I'm already buying Prime 3, and I'm probably going to buy this magazine just for something to read about prime 3.
Even if the review gave it a 3/10 or something, I'm still gonna get it

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what games do deserve a 10? The reviews are just another opinion of someone. I still wouldn't say Nintendo Power is biased, though. I'm sure if every review used .1 increments some games wouldn't be perfect 10's.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well I would have given MP1 and 2 a 10/10 as well, because I really did enjoy those games, and if MP3 is at least as good as the prequels, then I have no doubt that it deserves a 10/10 as well.
But since I like the Wii remote so much, and this game will also support widescreen, then I have no doubts it will be even a better then that.
So my expectations are pretty high, and I am confident that I will not be disappointed.

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The reviews are just another opinion of someone.

QFT.

The trick is to find sites that tend to be closest to your own opinions. I'm still searching, but gamespot tends to be somewhat close to my opinions. Once I find a site that agrees with me that Ouendan is probably one of the shittiest, most overrated games ever, I'll be subscribing. Also, I thought the Bioshock demo was okay, but I don't know that I'd put it up on the same pedestal that all of these other sites are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?