Metroid: Other M To Include Two Hour Movie Version Of Game

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 3,431
  • Replies 27
D

Deleted_171835

OP

Once you finish playing next month's Metroid: Other M on the Wii, you can watch it. A "theater mode" will stitch the game's cut-scenes and some pre-recorded gameplay into a Samus epic.

This news comes from an interview with Other M creators in Famitsu, as translated by 1Up.com:

The storytelling aspect of Other M continues to play a major role even after you beat the game, the way [Nintendo designer Yoshio] Sakamoto puts it. "There's a 'theater mode' that lets you view all of the cutscenes linked together seamlessly as a single movie," he explained. "We placed just as much weight on enjoying the story as we did on the action aspects of this game, but it's hard to fully communicate a storyline in a video game with just one playthrough. At the same time, though, it's asking a lot of players to beat the game twice to get it all, so that's where the idea for that mode came from. It lets you make a lot of discoveries, things you missed or dialogue that makes more sense in retrospect. I hope it helps people understand the story better."

This theater-mode movie is about two hours in length and divided into chapters like a DVD film. It's not just the movie cutscenes straight from the game, though — there's some pre-recorded gameplay bits to it as well, although those sections aren't recorded off your own moves as you beat the game. "I wanted to do that," Sakamoto said, "but we're using our own sample play data instead because that's also a way of giving the player hints — like, you can beat this particular boss this way too, and so forth."

Another notable tidbit: the game's creators believe players will only find 30% of the game's items on the first play through. I think Metroid players who pride themselves on discovering each entry's secrets will consider that a challenge.
[/p]
I know others might be skeptical but I'm freaking exciting! Two whole hours!
icon11.gif
Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
haha pretty cool
QUOTE said:
the game's creators believe players will only find 30% of the game's items on the first play through
yeah they don't know my persistence and how i absolutely scour the entire area before moving on and remembering if i see something and come back later to check it out when got the right piowerup etc
tongue.gif

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
haha pretty cool
QUOTE said:
the game's creators believe players will only find 30% of the game's items on the first play through
yeah they don't know my persistence and how i absolutely scour the entire area before moving on and remembering if i see something and come back later to check it out when got the right piowerup etc
tongue.gif

Isn't that like...the only way to play a metroid game to the end?

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two hours of cutscenes is pretty good. I'm just happy to see a more story-oriented Metroid title outside of Prime.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Saw a fragment of a trailer in Gametrailers 'games of August' video in which I'm pretty sure Samus spoke. To my knowledge that's the first time she's ever said anything. Here's hoping it turns out better than giving Link a voice.

Incidentally, Octorok tastes like chicken.

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I was gonna write something really cleaver here, but since im drunk i forgot what i was gonna write.
So in short, Metroid 1 & 2 is awesome, Metroid 3 4 5 SUCKS... Let´s hope Metroid 6 (Metroid: Other M) is as awesome as Metroid 1 & 2 combined!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It must be really cutscene heavy. Although really I don't want to watch someone else play the game and then have a few cutscenes interlaced. I would've preferred something like The Document of MGS2, which was all of MGS2's cutscenes pieced together with additional cutscenes made to substitute gameplay sections.

Still, this is a cool feature. Good job.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
monkat said:
Bladexdsl said:
haha pretty cool
QUOTE said:
tongue.gif

Isn't that like...the only way to play a metroid game to the end?
indeed
this will be DL 4 sure

c_house

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I've been wondering if there was ever going to be a Metroid movie... And now there is! Pretty awesome feature.

XtremeCore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Another notable tidbit: the game's creators believe players will only find 30% of the game's items on the first play through. I think Metroid players who pride themselves on discovering each entry's secrets will consider that a challenge.
[/p]

That's when walk-through comes in handy
tongue.gif

This is normally what I do:

1st time - Play through by myself (perhaps normal mode)

2nd time - Play through by myself (advance now) ... and try to obtain all items

3rd time (Only if I couldn't get all items by the 2nd time) - Use walk-through to finish up the game >.>

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the cutscenes be linked together smoothly or will it just be one scene to the next? I wouldn't really watch it if there's a ton of gaps in between.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Anakir said:
Will the cutscenes be linked together smoothly or will it just be one scene to the next? I wouldn't really watch it if there's a ton of gaps in between.

"There's a 'theater mode' that lets you view all of the cutscenes linked together seamlessly as a single movie,"[/p]

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't tell you how many years ago it was that I thought of something like this. It's like getting a game and a movie in one package.

I enjoyed watching Devil May Cry 4's (on PC) beginning-to-end cutscene replay after beating it, which is almost the same thing.

Very cool!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I hope it's not a week.