ROM Hack Metroid: Other M Redux (Based on Maxximum Edition)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Am I the only who thinks Other M isn't that bad and people are babies?

I do agree as well, I don't think of Other M as a particularly bad game, it's just that the story was poorly done and has bits that collide with other entries.
The changes I'm making mainly boil down to just story bits from cutscenes and dialogue, that's all.
With it, I'm certain Other M will be viewed as a more enjoyable game, just by the story line changes alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
I have finished another cutscene. This is the Brug Mass encounter cutscene, and I made two versions of it.
One which cuts the part where Samus monologues, and the other that's full length but simply silences Samus' monologue.
You can check them out here:

So why did I made 2 versions of this cutscene?
Well, I made two so I can modify the subtitles for the full length one and remove the lines that were effectively removed in the cutscene as well, so both video, audio and subtitles match.
I am not sure if/how the subtitles can be modified so they are inserted at specific places/timeframes in the cutscene, so until that is known, I might have to use the full length version of that cutscene.

I also finished another cutscene, dm09_02, being the story of Adam & Samus, and the thumbs down stuff.
Only the slight sexist line and the "Confession time" lines were cut from this one, to make it as cringe-free as possible.

Aside from that, there's 4 particular cutscenes that I might need help with (if possible).
Those are:
  1. dm01to02: Introduction cutscene. All I need in this one is to modify a slight section of the introduction scene to include an image that tells the player visually that the "Hyper beam damage critical, suit auto-repair system activated. Upgrades will become available as required". I'm thinking of replacing the sequence of a monitor with Samus's image in 3D to that message, the one from 3:31-3:33 in this video:
  2. dm08_01: The very one I just uploaded about Brug Mass' cutscene. I want to be able to modify the hue of the scientist so it shows red stains in the coat instead of green (to match the uncensored model that Maxximum did for it).
  3. dm61to63A: Samus encounters the true Madeline. Basically, all I need here is to change Samus' suit to match the Gravity Suit's color scheme in-game.
  4. dm63Bto64: Ending cutscene with MB, Madeline and Samus. Same as above, I need to change Samus' suit to match the Gravity Suit's color scheme in-game.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

trunske

Trophies
XP
Country
I would like to play this gamer, but the Mega Link it's dead, can you reupload it please? and I wish you all happy new year!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I would like to play this gamer, but the Mega Link it's dead, can you reupload it please? and I wish you all happy new year!

Oh I wasn't even aware the original files were deleted.
It's such a shame. And the downloaded pack is quite big as well.
I will see what I can do to reupload it, I might make the upload in Archive.org just to be safe and sure this doesn't happen again.

I'm wondering why the original author decided to get rid of it though, it's a nice project, and for sure the edited models alone are worth trying out.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have reuploaded the Brug Mass Boss cutscene, I have found a way to easily mask and track motion of certain objects using CyberLink's ColorDirector, and modified the color of the researcher's corpse to have blood stains instead of green, to match the uncensored and modified Maxximum Edition's 3D model for it.

That said, I think I also forgot to mention that I have finished the Sector Zero cutscene as well.
For this one, I decided to stay close to the original Other M cutscene, just cutting off certain monologues and cutting the stupid "Just give me a chance" again which doesn't help Samus' character. I feel the way it's done, the original's intention is still preserved, while still having a much better pacing and structure that fits a bit more in tone with Samus' character.
I didn't want to go the "Baby Metroid attacks Samus and that's why her suit gets damaged" route, since it would make it too much of a coincidence when it comes to Adam sacrificing himself. Also, the VERY important mention of a secret faction within the Galactic Federation (which are the ones behind this and Fusion's plot) is omitted from Maxximum's Edit. That's why I decided to go the original cutscene's structure instead of Maxximum's for Sector Zero's.

That said, here's the final edits for those two:

Now that I found a way to properly motion track objects in a way I feel comfortable with, I will most likely edit both dm61to63A and dm63Bto64 (Encounter with the Real Madeline and Ending cutscene) and I will try to recolor Samus' suit to be the Gravity Suit, since by that point, Samus has already activated the Gravity feature in her suit due to the detachment of Sector Zero and the following sequence.

With that, we are down to like 4 cutscenes left to be done.
I will also try to upload the original Maxximum Edition hack files to Archive.org, since other people have mentioned that the original Mega link is not working anymore (for reasons unknown).

I'll keep everyone posted.

Reactions: Askot

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do agree as well, I don't think of Other M as a particularly bad game, it's just that the story was poorly done and has bits that collide with other entries.
The changes I'm making mainly boil down to just story bits from cutscenes and dialogue, that's all.
With it, I'm certain Other M will be viewed as a more enjoyable game, just by the story line changes alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
I have finished another cutscene. This is the Brug Mass encounter cutscene, and I made two versions of it.
One which cuts the part where Samus monologues, and the other that's full length but simply silences Samus' monologue.
You can check them out here:

So why did I made 2 versions of this cutscene?
Well, I made two so I can modify the subtitles for the full length one and remove the lines that were effectively removed in the cutscene as well, so both video, audio and subtitles match.
I am not sure if/how the subtitles can be modified so they are inserted at specific places/timeframes in the cutscene, so until that is known, I might have to use the full length version of that cutscene.

I also finished another cutscene, dm09_02, being the story of Adam & Samus, and the thumbs down stuff.
Only the slight sexist line and the "Confession time" lines were cut from this one, to make it as cringe-free as possible.

Aside from that, there's 4 particular cutscenes that I might need help with (if possible).
Those are:
  1. dm01to02: Introduction cutscene. All I need in this one is to modify a slight section of the introduction scene to include an image that tells the player visually that the "Hyper beam damage critical, suit auto-repair system activated. Upgrades will become available as required". I'm thinking of replacing the sequence of a monitor with Samus's image in 3D to that message, the one from 3:31-3:33 in this video:
  2. dm08_01: The very one I just uploaded about Brug Mass' cutscene. I want to be able to modify the hue of the scientist so it shows red stains in the coat instead of green (to match the uncensored model that Maxximum did for it).
  3. dm61to63A: Samus encounters the true Madeline. Basically, all I need here is to change Samus' suit to match the Gravity Suit's color scheme in-game.
  4. dm63Bto64: Ending cutscene with MB, Madeline and Samus. Same as above, I need to change Samus' suit to match the Gravity Suit's color scheme in-game.

Is it possible to remove the mandatory saving everytime you enter a new save room? If anything that was annoying thing in Other M.

trunske

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I wasn't even aware the original files were deleted.
It's such a shame. And the downloaded pack is quite big as well.
I will see what I can do to reupload it, I might make the upload in Archive.org just to be safe and sure this doesn't happen again.

I'm wondering why the original author decided to get rid of it though, it's a nice project, and for sure the edited models alone are worth trying out.
Sorry, I dont know if you missunderstand me haha but I was talking about the MOD from Mega Link, it's deleted haha nor the original game. I had been searching for it for 2 weeks but nobody has it

SemVision

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the concentration nerf going to be added back in?

I say let samus shoot the ice beam in dm63Bto64, because then it allows samus to actually accomplish something in the narrative.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have uploaded the entirety of Maxximum Edition's original files to Archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/metroid-other-m-maxximum-edition

That zip should include all the files, and I also copy-pasted the Reddit link description and instructions.
Also, the uploaded zip should already have all of the fixed files included.

Reactions: trunske

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
25 minutes later EDIT: I very slightly tweaked some of the file names and XML labels in the ttm.sh ZIP downlaod between the time when I created this post and when I'm adding this edit note.

I have uploaded the entirety of Maxximum Edition's original files to Archive.org:
https://archive.org/download/metroid-other-m-maxximum-edition

That zip should include all the files, and I also copy-pasted the Reddit link description and instructions.
Also, the uploaded zip should already have all of the fixed files included.

Two things you may have accidentally messed up:

Firstly, both the link in the post I'm quoting as well as the first post of this thread link to the "archive.org/download/" page rather than the "archive.org/details/" page; in other words, did you mean to link to the following instead?

Secondly, you didn't include the gecko code. Here's the file hosted on a temporary upload host in both GCT format as well as plain text (should be automatically deleted in around a year):

Also, considering that the original Reddit post mentioned that a Riivolution patch was something that could be done for a future version, I additionally included an updated copy of my own Riivolution patch that I made for Maxximum Edition - the main update being that it should now let you separately enable/disable the modified in-game character models, cg movie cutscenes, and music & sound effects.

Oh and for reference, recent development versions of the Dolphin emulator (beta versions haven't been updated since November) now let you save a Riivolution preset so you don't have to keep choosing and/or configuring it every time. This is important since I still haven't quite figured out how to integrate gecko codes into a Riivolution XML file, so Dolphin is currently the only way to have the gecko code active while using the Riivolution patch (though it should theoretically still work on real console hardware albeit without the gecko code active).

As a refresher, to use the Riivolution patch, you'll want the contents of the "Maxximum Edition" ZIP archive extracted to a folder named "Metroid Other M - Maxximum Edition" on the root your (real or emulated) SD card so that, for example, the 'movie' subfolder is located at the following path:
  • sd:/Metroid Other M - Maxximum Edition/movie/

25 minutes later EDIT: I very slightly tweaked some of the file names and XML labels in the ttm.sh ZIP downlaod between the time when I created this post and when I'm adding this edit note.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Two things you may have accidentally messed up:

Firstly, both the link in the post I'm quoting as well as the first post of this thread link to the "archive.org/download/" page rather than the "archive.org/details/" page; in other words, did you mean to link to the following instead?

Secondly, you didn't include the gecko code. Here's the file hosted on a temporary upload host in both GCT format as well as plain text (should be automatically deleted in around a year):

Also, considering that the original Reddit post mentioned that a Riivolution patch was something that could be done for a future version, I additionally included an updated copy of my own Riivolution patch that I made for Maxximum Edition - the main update being that it should now let you separately enable/disable the modified in-game character models, cg movie cutscenes, and music & sound effects.

Oh and for reference, recent development versions of the Dolphin emulator (beta versions haven't been updated since November) now let you save a Riivolution preset so you don't have to keep choosing and/or configuring it every time. This is important since I still haven't quite figured out how to integrate gecko codes into a Riivolution XML file, so Dolphin is currently the only way to have the gecko code active while using the Riivolution patch (though it should theoretically still work on real console hardware albeit without the gecko code active).

As a refresher, to use the Riivolution patch, you'll want the contents of the "Maxximum Edition" ZIP archive extracted to a folder named "Metroid Other M - Maxximum Edition" on the root your (real or emulated) SD card so that, for example, the 'movie' subfolder is located at the following path:
  • sd:/Metroid Other M - Maxximum Edition/movie/

Oh that's really nice of you to share your Riivolution patch for Maxximum Edition!
This should make it LEAGUES easier to make the hack more accessible for multiple people, as well as make it easier for when I get around to finishing the re-editing work of my own. I have also fixed both the OP and the link in this page for the Archive.org download, thanks for pointing that out.

I do have a couple of points, which possibly you could help me understand or help me know if they're possible:
  • The Gecko code is actually available in the Archive.org link, it's in the description as the only clickable link, I just didn't include it in the download zip since I wanted that one to have only the disk files themselves, if people do desire to rebuild the ISO with the method listed in the original release thread.
    Additionally, I also included the Gecko code in the OP as mere text, though having the GCT availble will also be of great help, I'll make sure to add it later on here.
  • From what I read, and if I read correctly, the Missile on 3rd person stuff (which is loaded through the cheat code) cannot run on a real Wii through the Riivolution code, right? I was wondering if the 3rd Person Missile was possible on a real Wii and how it'd work or how it could be pulled of with the standard Wiimote, or if other controllers were supported on real Wii.
I have uploaded your ZIP into the OP, with some slight renamings to the files (as they showed some garbled text in the name for me) and removed the "In-game" text form the XML for the Character Models entry, as the models included in the root also include models used in some cutscenes.

----

EDIT:
I have finished scene dm03to04, which is the Post-Training cutscene alongside the Prologue one.
Here's the finished cutscene:

I wanted to keep the monologue by Samus when she's on her ship to resemble the introduction lines given by her in other games, like Fusion, Zero Mission and others. I liked how this one turned out.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[*]From what I read, and if I read correctly, the Missile on 3rd person stuff (which is loaded through the cheat code) cannot run on a real Wii through the Riivolution code, right?
Last I remember using the actual Riivolution app on real hardware, it didn't include the ability to load GCT or plain text gecko codes and therefore the only way to do such a thing is to integrate it directly into the XML file (which is definitely a supported function, but it's not as straight-forward as a copy & paste of the plain text gecko code).

I was wondering if the 3rd Person Missile was possible on a real Wii and how it'd work or how it could be pulled of with the standard Wiimote, or if other controllers were supported on real Wii.
It totally should work with a real wiimote without issue as you don't use the A button but rather the 1 button for shooting a missile in 3rd person view; in other words you hold B and then tap 1, and similarly you can hold 1 to charge up a shot, hold B, and then release 1 to do a charged Metroid Prime-style super missile shot (you can alternatively hold B, hold 1 until fully charged, and then release 1).

I say this as someone with small hands, and I have no issue reaching the B button while using the dpad and holding the wiimote sideways (at least I've no issue doing that in Mario Kart Wii).

I have finished scene dm03to04, which is the Post-Training cutscene alongside the Prologue one.
Here's the finished cutscene
Um, is there a reason why, after the 1 minute 11 seconds mark, the frame rate of the video drops to 20fps (not a typo) with telecine judder (that is, in a 1-2-2-3-4-4 pattern)? Before the 1 minute 11 second mark, the video was a true 30fps (that is, a 1-2-3-4-5-6 pattern).

Now I'm kind of curious if any of the other videos have this issue...

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Last I remember using the actual Riivolution app on real hardware, it didn't include the ability to load GCT or plain text gecko codes and therefore the only way to do such a thing is to integrate it directly into the XML file (which is definitely a supported function, but it's not as straight-forward as a copy & paste of the plain text gecko code).

It totally should work with a real wiimote without issue as you don't use the A button but rather the 1 button for shooting a missile in 3rd person view; in other words you hold B and then tap 1, and similarly you can hold 1 to charge up a shot, hold B, and then release 1 to do a charged Metroid Prime-style super missile shot (you can alternatively hold B, hold 1 until fully charged, and then release 1).

I say this as someone with small hands, and I have no issue reaching the B button while using the dpad and holding the wiimote sideways (at least I've no issue doing that in Mario Kart Wii).

Um, is there a reason why, after the 1 minute 11 seconds mark, the frame rate of the video drops to 20fps (not a typo) with telecine judder (that is, in a 1-2-2-3-4-4 pattern)? Before the 1 minute 11 second mark, the video was a true 30fps (that is, a 1-2-3-4-5-6 pattern).

Now I'm kind of curious if any of the other videos have this issue...
Oh I see. So to use 3rd Person Missiles you need to hold B and then 1 to fire them, and similarly for the Super Missiles as with the other games (Fully chargee beam + Missile).

I ll see if Riivolution can be combined with GCT codes in any way to have one way to fun this without issue.

As for the video dropping frames, yeah I can definitely see it, tho it seems to stop at a certain point. It might have been caused by the export process, since the PC where I do the videos is old and shitty, so that might be why it drops frames there. If you find any other with frame drops, let me know please, so I render them and upload them again.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the PC where I do the videos is old and shitty, so that might be why it drops frames there
If you've ever read any of my posts in the WiiSX RX thread then you'll know that it's PC hardware that's actually my specialty, particularly making due with older hardware, so your definition of old stuff could theoretically actually be faster than my own hardware that I'm currently using that is simply performing below where it should be due to software reasons rather than hardware ones.

But I also similarly have some experience with video rendering (all of the high-res OPs included in the Fate/stay night Ultimate Edition fan-patch are encoded by me) and, at least in normal offline video rendering, it doesn't matter how slow your CPU is as it'll never actually screw up the final render - it'll just take a lot longer (I've done 6 hour video renders before ran on a single CPU core whereby the same render run on 4core/8thread would have likely made it take maybe only a bit over 1 hour?).

so I render them and upload them again
Question about that - are you not basically rendering the videos twice?

I say this because it's my impression that the video codec natively used by Other M is not a codec that you can directly upload to YouTube, therefore you would also need to render the video a second time using a more typical codec (e.g. h.264 / AVC) if you want to upload to YouTube or the like.

If this is true then there's no guarantee that the frame-drops I'm seeing are exhibited in the same way in the "native-for-Other M" encode(s) and therefore they should be the ones checked rather than the YouTube encodes.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you've ever read any of my posts in the WiiSX RX thread then you'll know that it's PC hardware that's actually my specialty, particularly making due with older hardware, so your definition of old stuff could theoretically actually be faster than my own hardware that I'm currently using that is simply performing below where it should be due to software reasons rather than hardware ones.

But I also similarly have some experience with video rendering (all of the high-res OPs included in the Fate/stay night Ultimate Edition fan-patch are encoded by me) and, at least in normal offline video rendering, it doesn't matter how slow your CPU is as it'll never actually screw up the final render - it'll just take a lot longer (I've done 6 hour video renders before ran on a single CPU core whereby the same render run on 4core/8thread would have likely made it take maybe only a bit over 1 hour?).

Question about that - are you not basically rendering the videos twice?

I say this because it's my impression that the video codec natively used by Other M is not a codec that you can directly upload to YouTube, therefore you would also need to render the video a second time using a more typical codec (e.g. h.264 / AVC) if you want to upload to YouTube or the like.

If this is true then there's no guarantee that the frame-drops I'm seeing are exhibited in the same way in the "native-for-Other M" encode(s) and therefore they should be the ones checked rather than the YouTube encodes.

Interesting.
So what you recommend is exporting two video files basically, one for YouTube (as perhaps mp4) and another for the proper game conversion file-type (mpg1 -> sfd in this regard).

Is that what you meant? Or did I understand wrongly?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that what you meant? Or did I understand wrongly?
Err um, are you saying you aren't already doing that?

Basically my point was just that you can't upload SFD directly to YouTube which implied to me that you were uploading a second, non-SFD copy. Therefore it'd be wise to check the SFD copy for anything wonky to narrow down where in the process that the problem with the frame-drops is occurring.

Oh and btw, I just realized I kind of gave an inaccurate example of the issue previously - it's not doing an A-B-B-C-D-D-E pattern, rather it's doing an A-B-B-D-E-E-G pattern (or, with numbers, it's doing 1-2-2-4-5-5-7 when it should be doing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7)... either that or it's doing A-C-C-D-F-F-G (aka 1-3-3-4-6-6-7).

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Err um, are you saying you aren't already doing that?

Basically my point was just that you can't upload SFD directly to YouTube which implied to me that you were uploading a second, non-SFD copy. Therefore it'd be wise to check the SFD copy for anything wonky to narrow down where in the process that the problem with the frame-drops is occurring.

Oh and btw, I just realized I kind of gave an inaccurate example of the issue previously - it's not doing an A-B-B-C-D-D-E pattern, rather it's doing an A-B-B-D-E-E-G pattern (or, with numbers, it's doing 1-2-2-4-5-5-7 when it should be doing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7)... either that or it's doing A-C-C-D-F-F-G (aka 1-3-3-4-6-6-7).

I was doing that, but the way I am doing it is by exporting directly to the format that's closely tied to the SFD, which is mpeg1 (.mpg) at 480p.
From what I'm seeing, it might be worth the shot of trying to export two files, an mp4 and the mpg and test for differences in the export, if they both behave the same, then the issue is either the editor, or otherwise, I'll see what else it could be.

For reference, this is what the MPEG export gives me in the codec info from VLC:
Screenshot from 2022-01-09 17-09-04.png

For the SFD, it's almost the same, except Stream 0 and Stream 1 are swapped in order, that's it. But in terms of everything else, they match 1:1 between MPEG-1 and SFD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: so i can rest peacefully