Metroid: Other M comes in a dual-layered DVD.

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
p8iqe.jpg

QUOTE said:
Most Wii games come on a regular 4.7 GB DVD. There are a few exceptions, however, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy. In the case of those games, dual-layered DVDs were required due to the amount of content in them.
You can add Metroid: Other M to that list as well. Due to the sheer amount of content — largely due to the game’s cutscenes — Other M comes on a dual-layered disc. In a second Iwata Asks segment, this time with members of Team Ninja, we discover that even while using a dual-layered DVD, the development team barely managed to squeeze all the content in.
Team Ninja tell Iwata that they were literally shaving mere seconds off movies in places in order to be able to squeeze the game’s data onto the disc without any noticeable visual inconsistencies during the cutscenes.

icon11.gif
Source

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Neato!

Well, if there's one thing about this game that I'm excited for, it's the story. The Wii, gamecube, n64, and virtual boy have all been devoid of good storytelling, and I'm glad that's about to change.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I imagine all the movies had to be duplicated in standard 4:3 and a horizontally-skewed 4:3 (for widescreen mode), so that would double the required space on the disc.

It's too bad stuff had to be cut to make it fit on. I'd rather them use slightly higher of video compression than cut content, even if it's just a few seconds here and there. Even a couple seconds can make a difference in pacing and impact.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Goli said:
p8iqe.jpg

QUOTE said:
Most Wii games come on a regular 4.7 GB DVD. There are a few exceptions, however, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy. In the case of those games, dual-layered DVDs were required due to the amount of content in them.
You can add Metroid: Other M to that list as well. Due to the sheer amount of content — largely due to the game’s cutscenes — Other M comes on a dual-layered disc. In a second Iwata Asks segment, this time with members of Team Ninja, we discover that even while using a dual-layered DVD, the development team barely managed to squeeze all the content in.
Team Ninja tell Iwata that they were literally shaving mere seconds off movies in places in order to be able to squeeze the game’s data onto the disc without any noticeable visual inconsistencies during the cutscenes.

icon11.gif
Source

Damn
ohmy.gif

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sevael said:
I imagine all the movies had to be duplicated in standard 4:3 and a horizontally-skewed 4:3 (for widescreen mode), so that would double the required space on the disc.

It's too bad stuff had to be cut to make it fit on. I'd rather them use slightly higher of video compression than cut content, even if it's just a few seconds here and there. Even a couple seconds can make a difference in pacing and impact.
I have a feeling this game will be widescreen only, other games such as Xenoblade have done this before so...

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Goli said:
Sevael said:

I have a feeling this game will be widescreen only, other games such as Xenoblade have done this before so...
The videos will be anamorphic just like most other content.
Basically, if for some reason you're using a 4:3 TV, expect black bars.

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
toejam316 said:
Goli said:
Sevael said:

The videos will be anamorphic just like most other content.
Basically, if for some reason you're using a 4:3 TV, expect black bars.
Exactly.

Anyways you can check out impressions from someone that has a review copy here. There's also three exclusive gameplay videos that show segments with an over the shoulder camera (think RE4, RE5, Dead Space).

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
fudgenuts64 said:
That sucks for people using disc backup loaders. I can't wait for this though, it looks awesome.
Because they have to burn a DL disc?
huh.gif
Dual-Layer games are problematic with disc loaders. You need to set the proper layer break for them to burn correctly and some older cIOSes have problems with them.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To people complaining about dual layered discs, that's why we use USB loaders. In the end it's cheaper than discs, you can download and play games at your whim (no more deciding about which games to burn, which ones not to burn), the compatibility is overall better, games run smoother, it's more organized (no more juggling discs and the fancy GUI of like USB Loader GX), and there's a bagillion other reasons. There's really not much reason to even be a major disc loader user.

Meh, maybe it means more content, maybe it just means video isn't as compressed or there's more video. Who knows. I'll refrain from saying if it's a good game or not when I actually play it.

PrinceNOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
tj_cool said:
fudgenuts64 said:
That sucks for people using disc backup loaders. I can't wait for this though, it looks awesome.
Because they have to burn a DL disc?
huh.gif
Dual-Layer games are problematic with disc loaders. You need to set the proper layer break for them to burn correctly and some older cIOSes have problems with them.
Every dl game for the wii I tried to far works with usb loader

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiThoko said:
Fuck, this means it'll take forever to download -_-
If you pirate this game, I swear to god (or any great deity; it's all good), I will hunt you down and give you a good slap on the wrist. That's the English way.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Will there be a Single-Layer version like SSBB? (No cutscenes)
unsure.gif

Never really played any Metroid game before, but would like to try this one out.
tongue.gif

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Delta517 said:
Will there be a Single-Layer version like SSBB? (No cutscenes)
unsure.gif

Never really played any Metroid game before, but would like to try this one out.
tongue.gif

Seriously? Super Metroid and the Prime series were awesome.

Hmm... This is the fourth game to be dual layered on the Wii library now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Patient zero giggity +1