Merge might stop me from getting help, what should I do?

gukingofheart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did not know posts merged... and wondering, What if someone was going to help me, but saw just a "OK" reply, and assume there's no edits with new info, where I need help still!

What should I do to get help, now that I made this grave mistake?
If I post a second thread about the same thing, might be spammy.

gukingofheart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wasn't what I actually posted, that was the shorten version :)
I did do what they suggested, but I ran into a new issue, for trying to work on the same code.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did not know posts merged... and wondering, What if someone was going to help me, but saw just a "OK" reply, and assume there's no edits with new info, where I need help still!

What should I do to get help, now that I made this grave mistake?
If I post a second thread about the same thing, might be spammy.

Well don't post in the same thread before someone else post, or you going have to edit your post to get rid of the merged post.

gukingofheart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today at 11:59 AM
gukingofheart

But that's now a lie, since I updated the thread at 7:27PM
I wish the merge bumped the thread.

Some user might of read the reply before 7:27 and moved on.. that was my concern. For now, I'm just going to wait things out I guess.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today at 11:59 AM
gukingofheart

But that's now a lie, since I updated the thread at 7:27PM
I wish the merge bumped the thread.

Some user might of read the reply before 7:27 and moved on.. that was my concern. For now, I'm just going to wait things out I guess.

It is merged because you posted again in the same thread before someone else reply, in addition to what @linuxares said, it is also to prevent people from increasing their post count with one thread.

1688260073397.png

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Well, just don't. If someone suggests you to do something, try it first before reacting. This is a forum, not an instant messaging service; you don't have to post a new message every time there's an update. So, for example, instead of going ‘OK, I'll try what you suggested. <MERGED> Okay, now I'm stumped on this,’ just try what they suggested first, and then reply: ‘I've tried what you suggested and I'm having X and Y issues with it.’

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A forum isn't used like a chat: Sending each line as a separate message.
This feature makes sense in my opinion and might act as one small puzzle piece slowing down spambots (though they often enough post five own threads in two minutes, but that is a different topic).

The merging should not happen after a day of waiting before double posting. So it is still possible to add new questions and information with bumping, just not directly.

It would be nice to get a notification in a watched thread when merging occurs. If one reads the first message right away, they don't get another notification for the additional message that got merged.
I've missed information this way myself until manually checking.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The anti-bumping feature is working as intended. It is put in place for a reason. If every edit and merge bumped the topic, I can assure you that it can and will be abused.

If you have any additional information to append to your post, simply highlight it. For example, add an EDIT/UPDATE prefix, or bolding the extra text. People will reply when they do. Do NOT bump your thread or make a separate thread.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have any additional information to append to your post, simply highlight it. For example, add an EDIT/UPDATE prefix, or bolding the extra text. People will reply when they do. Do NOT bump your thread or make a separate thread.
Bold text or some eye-catching mark don't do anything if nobody looks into a topic (again).
Let's assume one reads a message a minute after receiving the notification. Half an hour later the post gets merged with additional information → Nothing on the bell 🔔 symbol. Opposed to a manual edit, a merged post was probably intended to notify everybody following a topic. Admittedly an edge case, but I had it happen and only noticed the merged post by accident.

That said, I fully understand (and support) the merging feature suppressing bumps and preventing cluttering a topic.
Think → prepare everything → post. That is how it should be. But sometimes even then one can forget an important part.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is an unfortunate side effect comes with the nature of the forums and what not. If it doesn't gain enough traction to remain visible on its own for whatever reason, you'll just have to hope that someone does stumble upon it later on who can help with the additional info or for someone who was interested enough to watch the thread to revisit it.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup