melonPrimeDS (melonDS fork) adds keyboard & mouse support for Metroid Prime: Hunters

videoframe_7627 (Small).jpg

A new fork of the popular DS emulator, melonDS, called melonPrimeDS has been released. Developed by user makidoll, this emulator adds keyboard and mouse support specifically for Metroid Prime Hunters, similar to the previous PrimeHack mod.

melonPrimeDS aims to make the game more accessible by enabling traditional FPS controls. The emulator also offers several customized settings for screen layout, rendering and performance optimizations.

1720104426553.png

For those looking to try it out, the emulator uses a different config path than melonDS, as to avoid conflicts and requries a copy of the v1.1 USA ROM of Metroid Prime: Hunters to function. Other regions will not work due to the memory injection methods used.

:arrow: Source

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
fair, but still an unnecessary change to have to make if you're a part of a very large amount of people who don't have the extra side mouse buttons

If you don't have at least a 5 mouse button at this point, I'd say you're not a PC gamer at all, and if so, not the main target demo for this kind of software, so it's a non-issue, as long as they include button remapping, like they've done.

Edit: To make this even more clear: a LOT of PC gamers play MOBAs/MMOs, and having 5+ buttons mouse is kind of mandatory for that segment.

Last edited by AlexMCS,
Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i always cringe when i see things mapped to side mouse buttons by default, what about the people who don't have side mouse buttons or they're exclusively mapped to browser forward/back and non-configurable like a lot of mice are? or laptop trackpads?
The forward and backward mouse thumb buttons actually have been an accepted Windows, linux, and MacOS standard for over a decade now, and don't need to be able to be remapped to be used by games. They're generally the generic "Mouse 4" and "Mouse 5" respectively and anything but garbage bin dollar store mice will come with those.

Reactions: MadMakuFuuma

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great work with this!
This is exactly like a PrimeHack equivalent, really needed for Hunters.

I set up a Steam Input configuration specifically for Hunters, but I still had some quirks with it working properly with the lower screen, this will do an amazing job for sure for finally getting into Prime Hunters.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't have at least a 5 mouse button at this point, I'd say you're not a PC gamer at all, and if so, not the main target demo for this kind of software, so it's a non-issue, as long as they include button remapping, like they've done.
I grew up playing Metroid Primer Hunter on my DS and thoroughly enjoyed playing it. I have, collectively, 8,000 hours on steam and a singular side mouse button. By your reasoning, that doesn't make me a PC gamer at all, in addition to not being the target demographic?

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I grew up playing Metroid Primer Hunter on my DS and thoroughly enjoyed playing it. I have, collectively, 8,000 hours on steam and a singular side mouse button. By your reasoning, that doesn't make me a PC gamer at all, in addition to not being the target demographic?

Yes. You're not using the best setup for gaming without a 5 button mouse, at least.
There are still many gamers with tons of hours clocked without a decent mouse, but they are not the majority.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/io_VZewy8oA?si=0XjiWXha9UOP7z7W