• Replies 3,952
  • Likes 278

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
which part? I read it and I know there will be some false positives.
I was asking specifically for /Bingoml!mclg
THAT PART:
1699284914642.png

and then:

1699285034024.png

If you are not able to follow instructions I think MediCAT is not for you, you can mess the things bad if you do things you don't know what they are doing.

Z3nZ3s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
THAT PART:
View attachment 403011

and then:

View attachment 403012

If you are not able to follow instructions I think MediCAT is not for you, you can mess the things bad if you do things you don't know what they are doing.
lol.
THAT PART:
View attachment 403011

and then:

View attachment 403012

lol, thx you for your concern. link for the second pic would of helped instead, and again I was asking for one thing in particular.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed a couple of typos when I downloaded via the torrent.

First off, inside the checksum files themselves, the file name they're comparing against is different than what the actual 7z archive is named (the checksums expect underscores between the words while the actual file uses periods)

Secondly, the SHA1 checksum file has a .sha file extension, but SHA1 checksum files typically use the .sha1 extension (the most recent real-world example of this was Manjaro which, up until around a year ago, still used SHA1 checksum files for verifying their downloads)

Lastly, in the /INSTRUCTIONS/Read ME!.txt file, it misspelled the word make as "maske"

Oh, and is there any particular reason why there's not any information on manual installation, e.g. just running the normal Ventoy installer and then manually extracting the giant 20+GB 7z archive to your Ventoy partition? This would be particularly useful for existing Ventoy installations or situations where the user wants an additional partition (I like having a smaller 256MB partition containing various utilities since you cannot access the primary Ventoy/Medicat partition when booted into live Linux ISOs)

can't it just give me the iso? i already have ventoy on a usb ssd with a bunch of isos and VHDs and it is prompting me to select the drive i'll be installing it to, but i don't want to lose what's on the drive (and i don't want to backup like 300gb of stuff just to install this either)

I don't suppose you ever got things sorted?

Thing is, I had what was largely the same situation as you but, since I wanted to reformat my Ventoy disk from exFAT to NTFS (turns out Ventoy as NTFS boots Linux ISOs without issue, and has better stability WHEN NOT USING NTFS COMPRESSION than exFAT at least when not running the newest Linux kernel; and yes the caps are required regarding compression as it often results in corrupted files on Linux as confirmed with a live session of Xubuntu 23.10).

But when the extraction step of the Medicat installer borked out for whatever reason, I realized during the process that it was just installing a bog-standard Ventoy but with an NTFS formatted-partition. Therefore I was simply able to manually extract the giant 20+GB 7z file to the root of my NTFS-formatted Ventoy disk and it "just worked".

That being said, you might want to create a single folder on your USB SSD temporarily to move all of your existing files so that, once you extract the giant 20+GB 7z archive, you can then move your existing files into Medicat's proper sub-folder locations.

Also, it's very possible that Medicat might even work on exFAT-formatted Ventoy partition. I've not tested this but, if your USB SSD is already formatted as exFAT, then you might as well give it a whirl!

...and technically any USB drive can be turned into a Ventoy-bootable image but, since I was going to use NTFS anyway, I didn't really see the need to do this. And since my upload is very slow (~100KB/s, not a typo), it'd be incredibly unrealistic for me to share a 20+GB disk image file.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I don't suppose you ever got things sorted?

Thing is, I had what was largely the same situation as you but, since I wanted to reformat my Ventoy disk from exFAT to NTFS (turns out Ventoy as NTFS boots Linux ISOs without issue, and has better stability than exFAT at least when not running the newest Linux kernel).

But when the extraction step of the Medicat installer borked out for whatever reason, I realized during the process that it was just installing a bog-standard Ventoy but with an NTFS formatted-partition. Therefore I was simply able to manually extract the giant 20+GB 7z file to the root of my NTFS-formatted Ventoy disk and it "just worked".

That being said, you might want to create a single folder on your USB SSD temporarily to move all of your existing files so that, once you extract the giant 20+GB 7z archive, you can then move your existing files into Medicat's proper sub-folder locations.

Also, it's very possible that Medicat might even work on exFAT-formatted Ventoy partition. I've not tested this but, if your USB SSD is already formatted as exFAT, then you might as well give it a whirl!

...and technically any USB drive can be turned into a Ventoy-bootable image but, since I was going to use NTFS anyway, I didn't really see the need to do this. And since my upload is very slow (~100KB/s, not a typo), it's be incredibly unrealistic for me to share a 20+GB disk image file.
You can convert exfat to ntfs easy with windows
Post automatically merged:

No need to format

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can convert exfat to ntfs easy with windows; No need to format

Good to know, though I'm primarily a Linux user and only really use Windows for certain utilities and tools. That being said, the provided standard Medicat installer formats your disk anyway and there's no mention of the "manual" way I spoke of that I discovered on my own, so I had already formatted my USB drive regardless.

So it turns out there are instructions on manually installing Medicat to an existing Ventoy drive but, for whatever reason, it's in the link labeled "Windows" which seems like a mistake since the manual installation would be more useful for users of the likes of non-Windows OSes:

Also, I see that it specifically says NTFS, so perhaps exFAT is not a valid option after all. Regardless, I might still humor myself and report back on a secondary disk purely for testing purposes.

MON5TERMATT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know, though I'm primarily a Linux user and only really use Windows for certain utilities and tools. That being said, the provided standard Medicat installer formats your disk anyway and there's no mention of the "manual" way I spoke of that I discovered on my own, so I had already formatted my USB drive regardless.

So it turns out there are instructions on manually installing Medicat to an existing Ventoy drive but, for whatever reason, it's in the link labeled "Windows" which seems like a mistake since the manual installation would be more useful for users of the likes of non-Windows OSes:

Also, I see that it specifically says NTFS, so perhaps exFAT is not a valid option after all. Regardless, I might still humor myself and report back on a secondary disk purely for testing purposes.
ill edit the site links this weekend,

Reactions: impeeza

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can't release a new version yet, I haven't gotten around to attempting to compile a version of HashCheck File Extension that has MD4 re-enabled while still retaining its newer formats like SHA256 and BLAKE3 (from what I can tell, MD4 is just commented out in the newest forks of HashCheck File Extension) at which point I wanted to suggest its inclusion in the live Win10 environment so that we can double-click directly on hash files and even easily create them via right-click, especially since this is kind of the only sane way to create checksums of a large amount of files recursively via a GUI on a Linux-formatted partition (e.g. Ext4) since there seems to, I kid you not, be no native GUI Linux software that does this, and the only other working solutions I've found of running ExactFile or md5summer via WINE all have limitations (like either being much slower, not supporting unicode filenames, ignoring Linux-style hidden files with periods at the beginning of their filenames, or stright-up crashing when hashing many files).

...but I'm a hardware person through-and-through with practically zero software dev skills—I've only ever successfully compiled a program once.

I mainly do this "mass checksumming" when making backup because, if you would believe it, a lot of disk imaging software actually do not confirm that the backed up data exactly matches the source, nor do they verify that any restored data matches the source. Therefore I make a checksum of all of the flies on a partition, whether Windows or Linux, from a live session before making a backup of said disk.

To clarify, I commonly used MD4 in-place of CRC32 for just simple file-transfer data corruption integrity checking since, for whatever reason, MD4 was faster on my CPU than CRC32 was, so I really wanted a version that retains that MD4 support while still having the niceties of the newer version.

Oh and, as it stands, the existing Hashcheck File Exention that has MD4 seemingly commented-out is already able to be installed without issue during the live Win10 session.

• Love

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i would love to, except Jayro and I work FULL time and barely have time.
And I'm still in education (sort-of), so its not like I have spare time on my hands like I used to nowadays.

MisterSteve

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aomei backupper is in spanish. How do I change languages
Hi, you can use the GUI version of DISM to mount the wim file, then go to \Program Files\AomeiBackupper and change the contents of the cfg file to: LANGUAGE=lang\en.txt, then unmount the wim file.

DrDistrukto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys I am getting an error upon \boot that says something to the effect of this is not a standard ventoy system and cannot be booted please select
1. exit grub 2
2 reboot
3. shutdown

anyone have any idea wtf this is and why i am getting it?? this is a backup ssd disk I have medicat on so i'm not exactly sure how I created it... but I do know it was done with ventoy....

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys I am getting an error upon \boot that says something to the effect of this is not a standard ventoy system and cannot be booted please select
1. exit grub 2
2 reboot
3. shutdown

anyone have any idea wtf this is and why i am getting it?? this is a backup ssd disk I have medicat on so i'm not exactly sure how I created it... but I do know it was done with ventoy....
I'd say just manually re-update Ventoy to the latest version, even if the installed version is the same as the latest version. I had this issue with a standard Ventoy installation after updating Ventoy one time on an internal backup secondary SATA SSD and found out the hard way while in the middle of making disk backups that it would auto-reboot instead of asking you what to do until I specifically suggested doing that instead:
I don't know if re-updating Ventoy was actually required but I went and did so anyway which resulted in the issue no longer occurring.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can convert exfat to ntfs easy with windows
No need to format
Wait, how would one go about doing this? I'm not finding any information, and the only information I'm finding still involves formatting and/or moving/transferring data (which is essentually the manual way I've been doing things already—move data to a second disk, reformat the first disk to NTFS, move the data from the second disk back onto the first disk).

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sanity check: is Macrium Reflect present in the newest 21.12 version of MediCat, or was it removed? Unless something is behaving wrong, I'm not able to find it in either the start menu or the portableapps menu...

For reference, Macrium Reflect is included in Hiren's BootCD PE (which is sort of like a precursor to the MediCat concept is it not?), and there's mention of Macrium in the older 21.06 version in a post just one page back from Sept. 23.

Thing is, I've been using Macrium Reflect for what must be like a decade now and I'd really like to be able to use it within MediCat proper without having to reboot into the stand-alone WinPE Macrium Reflect image (which itself is compatible with Ventoy if you use wimboot mode) so that I can mount a disk image to a drive letter and then run and verify checksum files stored within said image (which itself requires installing something like the previously-mentioned HashCheck File Extension which is possible on MediCat but isn't possible on the stand-alone WinPC Macrium Reflect image).

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet, at the same time, it seems that the free software alternative to AnyDesk, that being RustDesk, isn't included despite already being provided in portable form:
So heck if I know what the qualifications are for including whatever software. :P

EDIT: Oh crap, sorry for doulbe-posting! I thought GBAtemp's forum software automatically merged posts together?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/7EqY4iZP4iI?si=SnXrNV8JyKnbrp9j