• Replies 3,952
  • Likes 278

Youtubuntu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Hey Jayro. Not sure if you saw my previous post, because using and understanding forums is pretty hard if you haven't done that in the last 10 years. :D

But I wanted to add some points (and repeat a few in parentheses) about making the the project open-source and hosting it on Github or Gitlab.

Pros:
  1. Open-source means the project doesn't die with you (busy life, shift of priorities, depression or actual death).
  2. Creates trust. Some people refrain from using software that isn't as open-source as possible. Especially important for software that gets false positives from anti-viruses and operates on such low levels (independent of installed OS and its protections). Personally this is the main reason I don't want to use or recommend this awesome project yet. I also saw some comments regarding this on AlternativeTo,net.
  3. Distribute burden of maintenance. Other people can help you with the project and you can promote some collaborators to also help review pull requests and issues.
  4. More familiar UX for many. How to search and submit issues. How to get basic and advanced information. How to examine details of implementation. How to contribute. How to find releases. How to find a changelog. How to find forks.
Cons:
  1. Implementation overhead. Changes are annoying and this migration would be no exception. Intimidating when you are not used to using those sites.
  2. Maintenance overhead. Issues will crop up and ideally somebody has to clean them up every few months. Also people will submit bugfix and feature contributions which ideally will have to be reviewed and responded to. Pros-3. addresses this partially though.
  3. Loss of control and artistic vision. Other people can take and change your baby.

Last edited by Youtubuntu,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey Jayro. Not sure if you saw my previous post, because using and understanding forums is pretty hard if you haven't done that in the last 10 years. :D

But I wanted to add some points (and repeat a few in parentheses) about making the the project open-source and hosting it on Github or Gitlab.

Pros:
  1. Open-source means the project doesn't die with you (busy life, shift of priorities, depression or actual death).
  2. Creates trust. Some people refrain from using software that isn't as open-source as possible. Especially important for software that gets false positives from anti-viruses and operates on such low levels (independent of installed OS and its protections). Personally this is the main reason I don't want to use or recommend this awesome project yet. I also saw some comments regarding this on AlternativeTo,net.
  3. Distribute burden of maintenance. Other people can help you with the project and you can promote some collaborators to also help review pull requests and issues.
  4. More familiar UX for many. How to search and submit issues. How to get basic and advanced information. How to examine details of implementation. How to contribute. How to find releases. How to find a changelog. How to find forks.
Cons:
  1. Implementation overhead. Changes are annoying and this migration would be no exception. Intimidating when you are not used to using those sites.
  2. Maintenance overhead. Issues will crop up and ideally somebody has to clean them up every few months. Also people will submit bugfix and feature contributions which ideally will have to be reviewed and responded to. Pros-3. addresses this partially though.
  3. Loss of control and artistic vision. Other people can take and change your baby.
I'm currently unemployed and am on here every day, but I do sometimes miss posts because I'm not notified of them most of the time. So I apologise for that. But MediCat USB is already open-source, built upon the open-source Ventoy project. You literally move files around and use a text editor to edit theme.text, ventoy.json, and so on. The only thing I really keep to myself is my Photoshop PSD files for all of my artwork. At the current moment, I'd rather not give out my PSD art files, as they're really of no help to the end user.

This is a GBAtemp-born project, and I'd like to just keep it here with all of you. I take bug fixes seriously, and I listen to all suggestions, and implement them if they 1.) work and 2.) if they help the betterment of MediCat's end-goal; PC repair. If something is suggested that I impliment in testing and it doesn't fit within those simple parameters, I just don't implement it for release.

I already collaborate with a few tight friends on both here and on Workbench in Discord to test new possibilities and fix bugs. Anyone who helps with a bug fix or implementation gets credited in the changelog at release. I feel that putting it on GitHub or gitlab would kind of ruin our tight-knit ecosystem we have here, and that's not a direction I want to currently take MediCat in. Please understand™.

Last edited by Jayro,

Randomluckyg

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hey i love this project, I installed it on my 1tb drive, and everything works great but i have a question.
How do i update Medicat?, you mentioned in the Q&A that i would need to check every month for an update, but does it mean that every update i need to install it fresh, as wiping all my data on my drive?
Im asking this question for the reason that it would a little bit frustrating adding my own soft and things to medicat every update.
It would be cool if you just upload the only updated files in an archive as an version update, and i could just drag and drop and replace the old files with the new on my current medicat drive

Reactions: Chansm

Chansm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hey i love this project, I installed it on my 1tb drive, and everything works great but i have a question.
How do i update Medicat?, you mentioned in the Q&A that i would need to check every month for an update, but does it mean that every update i need to install it fresh, as wiping all my data on my drive?
Im asking this question for the reason that it would a little bit frustrating adding my own soft and things to medicat every update.
It would be cool if you just upload the only updated files in an archive as an version update, and i could just drag and drop and replace the old files with the new on my current medicat drive

Support that. My issue is add some utilities iso to it. Currently I have to remember which I added so that I dont loss them at the next refresh.

psfox2001

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hey
sorry if this question had already asked... how can i build under ubuntu an iso of medicat to test it under virtualbox?
thks for this great tool

Last edited by psfox2001,

Youtubuntu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I'm currently unemployed and am on here every day, but I do sometimes miss posts because I'm not notified of them most of the time. So I apologise for that. But MediCat USB is already open-source, built upon the open-source Ventoy project. You literally move files around and use a text editor to edit theme.text, ventoy.json, and so on. The only thing I really keep to myself is my Photoshop PSD files for all of my artwork. At the current moment, I'd rather not give out my PSD art files, as they're really of no help to the end user.

This is a GBAtemp-born project, and I'd like to just keep it here with all of you. I take bug fixes seriously, and I listen to all suggestions, and implement them if they 1.) work and 2.) if they help the betterment of MediCat's end-goal; PC repair. If something is suggested that I impliment in testing and it doesn't fit within those simple parameters, I just don't implement it for release.

I already collaborate with a few tight friends on both here and on Workbench in Discord to test new possibilities and fix bugs. Anyone who helps with a bug fix or implementation gets credited in the changelog at release. I feel that putting it on GitHub or gitlab would kind of ruin our tight-knit ecosystem we have here, and that's not a direction I want to currently take MediCat in. Please understand™.

Yes of course I understand. Keeping the current feel of the project is probably among the best possible reasons to not put it on a bigger, more standardized platform. For me as a GBAtemp-outsider it is more frustrating to interact and use this project, but as this belongs to you, it is completely fine to keep it as you prefer. I wish all the best for you & your project and hope future outsiders will either be understanding as well, or that any toxic behavior will be ignored by you. ^_^

Reactions: Jayro

Amantefurtivo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Jairo thank you very much for your time and dedication to this project.
And for giving us all your medicine for free.

Regarding project updates:

1) Could you clarify what these updates include. ?

2) Could you download the updates independently?

Thank you.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Jairo thank you very much for your time and dedication to this project.
And for giving us all your medicine for free.

Regarding project updates:

1) Could you clarify what these updates include. ?

2) Could you download the updates independently?

Thank you.
1.) The updates are listed in the changelog a within the download folders.
2.) I'm currently not making update packages.

Reactions: Amantefurtivo

madbomb122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) The updates are listed in the changelog a within the download folders.
2.) I'm currently not making update packages.

if you are not doing updates then may I suggest having an alternate method of posting medicat like what I suggested in my previous post (on page 134).

Gremlin220366

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where do I have to put a folder in medicat so that it will be on the desktop in Windows 10 PE.? I know you can copy it onto the desktop from c drive but it doesn't stay there once you close. Thanks

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Where do I have to put a folder in medicat so that it will be on the desktop in Windows 10 PE.? I know you can copy it onto the desktop from c drive but it doesn't stay there once you close. Thanks
Boot the Win10PE, and create the shortcut you want to the desktop, and name it how you want. Then copy that shortcut to the root of the Y:/ drive. Reboot back into your regular Windows, and open the boot.wim file with the tool of your choice (I use 7-zip), and place that shortcut in /Users/Default/Desktop/ and save the boot.wim back into the ISO. The shortcut will always be there for you now.

Gremlin220366

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Boot the Win10PE, and create the shortcut you want to the desktop, and name it how you want. Then copy that shortcut to the root of the Y:/ drive. Reboot back into your regular Windows, and open the boot.wim file with the tool of your choice (I use 7-zip), and place that shortcut in /Users/Default/Desktop/ and save the boot.wim back into the ISO. The shortcut will always be there for you now.
Thanks jayro will try tomorrow and see how it goes

Jrosse

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
Thank for your good job
I am looking for an ISO ActiveBootDisk 17.0.0 with Norton Ghost and Aoemi Backupper embeded in the boot.wim
If someone can help me

Thanks you

Last edited by Jrosse,

gsrd90

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Jayro Hi !! :creep:

Thank you for a very interesting update !
I tried to update Ventoy 1.0.15 to version 1.0.31 but no Ventoy was detected on my key even though it is well installed...
So I formatted everything again and installed the current version (1.0.31).
I would just like to have confirmation of the good practice to adopt; There is no more image file but simply the content of the key once the extraction is done.
All I have to do is copy and paste everything on my key and it will be all good?

Thank you for your response and happy New Years Eve everyone. :toot:
Xo :shy:

Reactions: Jayro

momosala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
YES, but don't forget to disable all antivirus software. VERY IMPORTANT.
Be careful, when disabling an antivirus other than DEFENDER, DEFENDER will run in the background. It must be stopped.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

YES, but don't forget to disable all antivirus software.
Be careful, when disabling an antivirus other than DEFENDER, DEFENDER will run in the background. It must be stopped.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

After installing the latest version of MEDICAT, Ventoy2Disk will be able to detect Ventoy version and possibly update it.

user4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
At extracting MediCat USB v20.12 to my USB stick with 7-Zip I've got this error message:
CRC error: Boot_Repair\[UEFI]_rescatux-0.73.iso

This seems to be a mistake with the checksum/hash.
Does anyone else have this error, what should I do to avoid this?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
At extracting MediCat USB v20.12 to my USB stick with 7-Zip I've got this error message:
CRC error: Boot_Repair\[UEFI]_rescatux-0.73.iso

This seems to be a mistake with the checksum/hash.
Does anyone else have this error, what should I do to avoid this?
Instead of extracting directly to the drive, try making a temp folder on the desktop, and then copy from that folder to the drive, and see if that works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol