OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
What is the advantage of using the DVD version over the Mini Windows version of Medicat? Is it that the DVD version strictly has apps that run outside of Windows entirely where as the Mini has Windows based apps along with Portable Apps? Trying to determine what apps are on which version to determine what one is the best to use.
The main DVD has other bootable tools for different tasks than Mini Windows 10 has. Bit disks come with the same exact set of Portable Apps though, so you can use them in Mini Windows 10, or on a regular Windows machine to do scans and repairs

royallyfedup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main DVD has other bootable tools for different tasks than Mini Windows 10 has. Bit disks come with the same exact set of Portable Apps though, so you can use them in Mini Windows 10, or on a regular Windows machine to do scans and repairs

The DVD does not have Win10 PE available on it but rather contains utils that are stand alone bootable apps that are meant to run outside of Windows entirely. In order to use the Portable apps from the DVD version of Medicat one has to launch them from an existing working Windows machine. Just trying to reduce the number of USB flash drives that I have to carry around with me.

Last edited by royallyfedup,

MrZeb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Thanks for your hard work on this DVD.

Just a note about something that need fixing, the entry for Parted Magic is not correct.

Code:
label Parted Magic
menu label Parted Magic ==>
    CONFIG /pmagic/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
    APPEND /pmagic/boot/syslinux
text help
                         An extensive collection of harddisk tools.
endtext

the entry that works for me is:
Code:
label Parted Magic
    KERNEL /vesamenu.c32
    APPEND /pmagic/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
text help
endtext

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks for your hard work on this DVD.

Just a note about something that need fixing, the entry for Parted Magic is not correct.

Code:
label Parted Magic
    CONFIG /pmagic/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
    APPEND /pmagic/boot/syslinux
text help
endtext

the entry that works for me is:
Code:
label Parted Magic
    KERNEL /vesamenu.c32
    APPEND /pmagic/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
text help
endtext
Good find! All my testing (Virtual machines and my girlfriend's laptop) shows it working for me, so I left it alone. But I'm glad you found a work-around, others here who may experience that same issue could definitely benefit from your fix!

Reactions: Mat69

DominiX32

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Concerning the new build, I had to make a very large decision last-minute, but I feel it was for the best: Mini Windows 10 is no longer on the main MediCat DVD. This is due to making USB sticks and then Mini Windows 10 is somehow unbootable. So the project is now primarily 2 different unrelated ISOs, but the one common thing they share is they both come with the PortableApps Suite on the root, just as they always have. So if you need Mini Windows 10, just make a separate USB stick. They are cheap, afterall. The best time to buy USB sticks is when the "Back to school" stuff comes out; You can nab some 32GB USB sticks for roughly $10 or less each.

So again, I apologize for this drastic move, but it's really necessary moving forward. I'll be looking into a bootable UEFI solution over the summer, so I could possibly add it back in a future release.

But for me Mini Windows 10 was the essential part of Medicat DVD :/

I made it working for me that way:
1. Installing Medicat DVD (NAKED) on flash drive through rufus.
2. Extracting Mini Windows 10 (with Portable Apps) on flash drive then overwriting everything.
3. Adding that code to main_menu.cfg after "Bootable Operating Systems:" menu title
Code:
label Mini Windows 10
menu label Mini Windows 10 ==>
      kernel /BOOT/grub.exe
      APPEND --config-file="chainloader /bootmgr"
text help
                       Boot into 64-Bit Mini Windows 10.
endtext

And it's working really well for me. Are there any problems I don't know about?

Last edited by DominiX32,
Reactions: Dasanko and Mat69

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
But for me Mini Windows 10 was the essential part of Medicat DVD :/

I made it working for me that way:
1. Installing Medicat DVD (NAKED) on flash drive through rufus.
2. Extracting Mini Windows 10 (with Portable Apps) on flash drive then overwriting everything.
3. Adding that code to main_menu.cfg after "Bootable Operating Systems:" menu title
Code:
label Mini Windows 10
menu label Mini Windows 10 ==>
      kernel /BOOT/grub.exe
      APPEND --config-file="chainloader /bootmgr"
text help
                       Boot into 64-Bit Mini Windows 10.
endtext

And it's working really well for me. Are there any problems I don't know about?
Thank you for your help and feedback, very valuable information. :yayswitch:
I'll do some testing with this right now on a few different machines, and get back with the results shortly.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten it to boot using your method @DominiX32 , I just had to change the "kernel /BOOT/grub.exe" path to "kernel /boot/grub.exe" and it worked. Now I'm going to do some more testing, and if it passes, I'll re-upload it with Mini Windows 10 again. ^_^:wub:

Reactions: DominiX32 and Mat69

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have also fixed Comodo Antivirus not wanting to boot using the GRUB method, now boots using:
Code:
label RunVirus Scan
menu label Scan for Viruses ==>
      kernel memdisk
    append iso
    INITRD /ISO/Comodo.iso
text help
                         Scan for viruses with Comodo Rescue Disk.
endtext

doowop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm new to this. First of all thank you for all your hard work on this project. My question is, where exactly is the iso image file on Mega or Google Drive for Medicat DVD? I see several 1GB files. Or do I have to make an iso out of those 6 files myself? If so, how do I do that? Thanks in advance :-)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you have to download them all and extract the ISO out of the first one, using 7zip. 7zip will extract from the rest of them by itself. You'll be left with the ISO. This is done in case one of the downloads gets corrupted, you only have to redownload 1GB instead of the entire thing. You can highlight all of the files and download them at once if you wish. It tells you in all-caps that you need 7-zip to extract those files, I thought that was clear enough... >_>

Last edited by Jayro,

doowop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got ya, thanks. Yes, I did see that, however whenever I clicked the file to have 7-zip extract it nothing happened and I was just wanted to make sure I was doing something wrong instead of something being wrong with the file.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
:lol: :grog: Mini Windows 10 is back on the MediCat DVD :toot: :yay:

Changelog for v17.04.01:

Fixed:
* Mini Windows 10 now boots from USB, thanks to the help of @DominiX32.
* Comodo Antivirus now boots from memdisk instead of GRUB (not sure why the GRUB entry is broken).

I'm glad I could help and hope you will upload AIO image in future. Keep up the good work @Jayro ! You're the best! ;)
Just uploaded v17.04.01 for everyone! :yayswitch:
Got ya, thanks. Yes, I did see that, however whenever I clicked the file to have 7-zip extract it nothing happened and I was just wanted to make sure I was doing something wrong instead of something being wrong with the file.
Yeah, just open .001 and extract the ISO, that's all you gotta do. :) Sorry for any confusion.

wblondel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I tried to write on a USB key the image mini.windows.10.x64.iso with Rufus, but for some reason it takes the syslinux.cfg from EASEUS Partition.Master 11.10 Portable and puts it at the root, so the boot doesn't work. (Error: can't find image live).

Here is the content of my syslinux.cfg :
Code:
DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
  CONFIG /PortableApps/EASEUS.Partition.Master.11.10.Portable/App/EaseUS/bin/syslinux/SYSLINUX/SYSLINUX.CFG
  APPEND /PortableApps/EASEUS.Partition.Master.11.10.Portable/App/EaseUS/bin/syslinux/SYSLINUX/

What should I put instead?

Thanks

JamesFring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
:lol: :grog: Mini Windows 10 is back on the MediCat DVD :toot: :yay:

Changelog for v17.04.01:

Fixed:
* Mini Windows 10 now boots from USB, thanks to the help of @DominiX32.
* Comodo Antivirus now boots from memdisk instead of GRUB (not sure why the GRUB entry is broken).

Just uploaded v17.04.01 for everyone! :yayswitch:

Yeah, just open .001 and extract the ISO, that's all you gotta do. :) Sorry for any confusion.

megaupload is corrupted on the new one, worked fine last time, probobly an error while uploading. Also alot of the security tools dont work, need new versions etc or scan only the mini PE windows edition, no way to change it, also mcaffee registers one of the antivirus programs you have has a virus and deletes it, m-something. Its a pretty crap antivirus program, dont know why you have it. It detects everything as a virus, even known good programs, again not sure why you have it installed. will try google drive download of new one.

Mat69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jayro, I also downloaded the 8 files for the MediCat DVD from Mega Upload and at least one of them is corrupted. Maybe publishing the CRC checksums for those files would be worth while.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Jayro, I also downloaded the 8 files for the MediCat DVD from Mega Upload and at least one of them is corrupted. Maybe publishing the CRC checksums for those files would be worth while.
All the checksums are in hashes.txt in the folder for all files. I'll try reupping them again tonight.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi,

I tried to write on a USB key the image mini.windows.10.x64.iso with Rufus, but for some reason it takes the syslinux.cfg from EASEUS Partition.Master 11.10 Portable and puts it at the root, so the boot doesn't work. (Error: can't find image live).

Here is the content of my syslinux.cfg :
Code:
DEFAULT loadconfig

LABEL loadconfig
  CONFIG /PortableApps/EASEUS.Partition.Master.11.10.Portable/App/EaseUS/bin/syslinux/SYSLINUX/SYSLINUX.CFG
  APPEND /PortableApps/EASEUS.Partition.Master.11.10.Portable/App/EaseUS/bin/syslinux/SYSLINUX/

What should I put instead?

Thanks
If it's the mini windows 10 ISO, it shouldn't be putting syslinux in there at all... Did you make sure your settings for Rufus are just like in the OP?

doowop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all good. I know there's something I'm doing wrong (reiterating that I'm a newbie to this lol). Everytime I try to extract the iso from the .001 file, I receive an error from 7-zip saying that I don't have the password.

It's all good. I know there's something I'm doing wrong (reiterating that I'm a newbie to this lol). Everytime I try to extract the iso from the .001 file, I receive an error from 7-zip saying that I don't have the password.

It says, "Cannot open the file as 7z archive. Unexpected end of data."

JamesFring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP

It says, "Cannot open the file as 7z archive. Unexpected end of data."

you probobly downloaded from megadownload, that one is corrupt. the google one is fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-