ROM Hack Translation Medarot DS: Kabuto Ver.

blueboy92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i had 5 minutes off, the game is easy tot translate, you don't need any programmers, the files are in scrip (spt) format, you can open them up in any text editor that supports Shift-Jis, and replace the test, it uses \0 as delimiter for arguments, so you need to be careful not to erase any, PoC:
View attachment 365477
thats a pretty awesome proof of concept though. Hopefully a translation could happen in the future

Tevinthemasta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i had 5 minutes off, the game is easy to translate, you don't need any programmers, the files are in script (spt) format, you can open them up in any text editor that supports Shift-Jis, and replace the text, it uses \0 as delimiter for arguments, so you need to be careful not to erase any, PoC:
View attachment 365477
BET! :)
Post automatically merged:

So i had 5 minutes off, the game is easy to translate, you don't need any programmers, the files are in script (spt) format, you can open them up in any text editor that supports Shift-Jis, and replace the text, it uses \0 as delimiter for arguments, so you need to be careful not to erase any, PoC:
View attachment 365477
also what program did you use

Last edited by Tevinthemasta,

shadow_chi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im a senior now and my school year is about to end in around the end of may and im trying to gather some people to help me out but their "too busy" not touching grass and playing fortnite:glare:
LMAOO, ofc they’re not helping, their too busy isolating from society, but i cant believe i was in 7th grade trying to help you with this project and now i’m a freshman in high school lmfao 💀

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Also checked some images, they are in .tex format, Managed to use CT2 to be able to view them properly, didn't have much time on my hand but i can see that the palette data starts at 0x20 with a size of 512 bytes, whatever is after, starting at 0x220 is the image data:
1682337724856.png

blueboy92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't wait to see on if this inspires some group to tackle a translation of the game. well, only time will tell lol

MeiBunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
View attachment 365477
Thanks for the tip, I'm trying to translate the .spt files via Notepad++ but I'm having some issues with that, as \0 appear as NUL. When I try to move a NUL (by copying and pasting) it just becomes a space (as in space bar), I tried editing the Hex code and it worked, but I'd like to know how to do this directly in Notepad++

Reactions: YuseiFD

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the tip, I'm trying to translate the .spt files via Notepad++ but I'm having some issues with that, as \0 appear as NUL. When I try to move a NUL (by copying and pasting) it just becomes a space (as in space bar), I tried editing the Hex code and it worked, but I'd like to know how to do this directly in Notepad++
Use wmxedit, that's what i use

Reactions: MeiBunny

MeiBunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Use wmxedit, that's what i use
Thank you, it is a really good tool, but I'm heaving problems. When I make some changes in the .spt file in the ROM, the game is just freezing. I thought it was because of a character limit, but I'm starting to believe it isn't, it just seems random. Do you have any clue about what might be causing these freezes after altering .spt files?

blueboy92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck in your efforts to translate the game! Hope that it goes well!

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, it is a really good tool, but I'm heaving problems. When I make some changes in the .spt file in the ROM, the game is just freezing. I thought it was because of a character limit, but I'm starting to believe it isn't, it just seems random. Do you have any clue about what might be causing these freezes after altering .spt files?
You're most likely removing the \0 separator from the spt line you're editing, you can view this by comparing both files using a comparator like beyond compare, or any online one (i wouldn't recommend it), you can also upload your modified SPT and i can take a look

MeiBunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You're most likely removing the \0 separator from the spt line you're editing, you can view this by comparing both files using a comparator like beyond compare, or any online one (i wouldn't recommend it), you can also upload your modified SPT and i can take a look
I am currently translating into Brazilian Portuguese because it is my native language and I have more ease than English. However, later I should make an English version too.
I am uploading the original version of the file too.

Attachments

• 01_00_0001.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 15

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
I am currently translating into Brazilian Portuguese because it is my native language and I have more ease than English. However, later I should make an English version too.
I am uploading the original version of the file too.
Hmmm quite odd, you spt file looks normal the changes made are completely fine and respect the separation rules, where did you say the game crashes exactly ??

Edit: here it works fine i didn't change anything in your file and put it in a raw rom:
VTMYLMmSJe.gif

MeiBunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmmm quite odd, you spt file looks normal the changes made are completely fine and respect the separation rules, where did you say the game crashes exactly ??

Edit: here it works fine i didn't change anything in your file and put it in a raw rom:
View attachment 382626
The game freezes right after the dialog box closes, I am attaching an example video:

The video is without sound because I test background and the repeated audio bothers me, but the music and audio of the game is still playing

View attachment 382626
Maybe it could be the emulator I'm using?
Or the program I'm using to change the ROM?

I'm using DeSmuME to test the game and to complicate the ROM I'm using Tinke

Attachments

• unknown_2023.07.10-09.47.mp4
    4.6 MB
Last edited by MeiBunny,

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
The game freezes right after the dialog box closes, I am attaching an example video:

The video is without sound because I test background and the repeated audio bothers me, but the music and audio of the game is still playing

Maybe it could be the emulator I'm using?
Or the program I'm using to change the ROM?

I'm using DeSmuME to test the game and to complicate the ROM I'm using Tinke
I am using melonds and tinke

MeiBunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am using melonds and tinke
Oh, apparently it was the emulator.
Thank you very much.
It worked on melon, then I will test on the Console itself to see if it works as well.
I was able to test about adding an additional dialog box, as I will need it because of the difference in information between Kana and Roman characters.

Also checked some images, they are in .tex format, Managed to use CT2 to be able to view them properly, didn't have much time on my hand but i can see that the palette data starts at 0x20 with a size of 512 bytes, whatever is after, starting at 0x220 is the image data:
View attachment 366813
About this, I managed to get the image but the colors are all different, would you have a tutorial on how to use CT2? or any tips?
Also how do I find out the resolution of each .tex?

Attachments

• unknown_2023.07.10-10.44.mp4
    5.5 MB

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, apparently it was the emulator.
Thank you very much.
It worked on melon, then I will test on the Console itself to see if it works as well.
I was able to test about adding an additional dialog box, as I will need it because of the difference in information between Kana and Roman characters.

About this, I managed to get the image but the colors are all different, would you have a tutorial on how to use CT2? or any tips?
Also how do I find out the resolution of each .tex?
Sadly not :( i suck at editing images, what i did for tsubasa i used tinke's own export/import functions, and it worked, almost, like a charm

MeiBunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sadly not :( i suck at editing images, what i did for tsubasa i used tinke's own export/import functions, and it worked, almost, like a charm
Got it :/
I extracted by tinke and opened the .tex file in CT2 and it looked like this. I have no idea how to solve it.
1689005421299.png

Post automatically merged:

And I'm having problems with the "select" inside the code in .spt
If I put any value other than "はい" or "いいえ" the game does not read the next .spt, does not freeze, but does not allow to leave the scene.
As if the previous .spt script was still active.
Do you have any idea what it could be?
1689006006449.png

Last edited by MeiBunny,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: S3X