OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Medarot DS: Kabuto Ver.

Medarot_DS_Kabuto_Box.jpg

Hello, I am starting a project to translate Medarot DS into Brazilian Portuguese

I'm new in GBATemp and also in question of ROMhack and translation.
I'm doing this to learn and have fun, while also learning Japanese in the process (I have support from a person who speaks fluent Japanese to answer questions about the translation).

I am translating primarily into Portuguese as it is my native language, but I am leaving support in the documentation for the English translation as well

I will use this thread to update on the project and post my doubts

At the moment I'm structuring the translation documentation and trying to understand what each type of file is, if I can open it, if it needs to be translated and how I can translate them

As I am learning, I still have a lot of doubts about what each file is and how I open some of them, like .b files.
And I'm also having trouble opening some textures, I can get the palette, but when I try to find the image resolution, it just gets very shuffled.

Translation progress [PT-BR]:
Story
: 001%
Menus: 001% (only the start menu)
Parts Names: 000% (I don't know if it will be possible)
Parts Description: 000%
Medals: 000%
NPCs: 000%

Screenshots:
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_5.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 56

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good luck bro, if you need any help let me know
Do you know if there is any part in the hex code of the .tex files that helps to find out the resolution of the image?
Because when I open some files by CT2 and adjust the palette, the image that appears is below, it looks correct but shuffled.

1689303757504.png

But if I export the image, the file is just a green square of 8 pixels.
I don't know what to do, I try to change the height and width parameters, but it ends up getting scrambled.

1689303862972.png

And Tinke also only shows the image all scrambled.

1689304081795.png

I didn't find anything on GBATemp about this either :/

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you know if there is any part in the hex code of the .tex files that helps to find out the resolution of the image?
Because when I open some files by CT2 and adjust the palette, the image that appears is below, it looks correct but shuffled.

View attachment 383259
But if I export the image, the file is just a green square of 8 pixels.
I don't know what to do, I try to change the height and width parameters, but it ends up getting scrambled.

View attachment 383260

And Tinke also only shows the image all scrambled.

View attachment 383261
I didn't find anything on GBATemp about this either :/

It's really confusing, because in the header at about 0x0C you can find the height and 0x0E the width (2 bytes), but it's not consistent, as for the puzzled image, usually the game uses some third file, to get the image offset and size, for now you have to edit them puzzled and just paste everything together and when importing, import them puzzled again :(

FYI, can you do that for the english translation aswell, this will save us a lot of time

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's really confusing, because in the header at about 0x0C you can find the height and 0x0E the width (2 bytes), but it's not consistent, as for the puzzled image, usually the game uses some third file, to get the image offset and size, for now you have to edit them puzzled and just paste everything together and when importing, import them puzzled again :(

FYI, can you do that for the english translation aswell, this will save us a lot of time
I couldn't do it in the hex code, I couldn't find it :(
Could you show where it is?

Yup, I'll translate the images to English too when I'm editing them.

Attachments

• mdw_062_m01.zip
    19.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Love
Reactions: YuseiFD

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't do it in the hex code, I couldn't find it :(
Could you show where it is?

Yup, I'll translate the images to English too when I'm editing them.
1689343240465.png

remember to read them inverted, the first value is 0x00D8, while the second is 0x0100

EDIT: @MeiBunny actually i think i found a workaround, use Image Pattern ObjH-1234 and the settings in this screenshot
1689344532030.png

Last edited by YuseiFD,
  • Love
Reactions: MeiBunny

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
View attachment 383329
remember to read them inverted, the first value is 0x00D8, while the second is 0x0100

EDIT: @MeiBunny actually i think i found a workaround, use Image Pattern ObjH-1234 and the settings in this screenshot
View attachment 383334
I managed to edit the image :)
I'm trying to use the game fonts to make it more faithful to the original so it's been taking a while.
But when I went to save in CT2, it did not change the image in the file (I even tried running CT2 in administrator mode), but nothing.
Maybe my version of CT2 has a problem?
And change the image by tinke just made the screen below go black (did not load the image files) and it does not have the option to change the type to ObjH- 1234

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
I managed to edit the image :)
I'm trying to use the game fonts to make it more faithful to the original so it's been taking a while.
But when I went to save in CT2, it did not change the image in the file (I even tried running CT2 in administrator mode), but nothing.
Maybe my version of CT2 has a problem?
And change the image by tinke just made the screen below go black (did not load the image files) and it does not have the option to change the type to ObjH- 1234
Yeah you're gonna have to go through CT2 for now i guess :(

I don't know why i'm gonna try this on my side for the title screen.

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
  • Wow

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
I found out how to save!

You have to double click on the image that appears on the right of CT2, link of the post that I found the answer (https://gbatemp.net/threads/crystaltile2-wont-save-imported-images.193816/)

I'm testing where each cut is in the image to see how much space I have for the words, so it's broken a little.
View attachment 383383
Great progress, i would highly suggest doing images first as they will help with story progression once you translate

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Great progress, i would highly suggest doing images first as they will help with story progression once you translate
Thank you
I am documenting what is in each image file and which one needs to be translated.
I have translated the menu and the top screen of the parts menu

The help and save button is in the process of being translated.

1689450757087.png
1689450763172.png

• Wow

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A little update on how the menus are progressing. :3

Parts menu and first setup menu.

PS: I need to locate the file that contains the name of the parts and medals and how to translate it. It doesn't seem to be in a .spt :/

1689554996607.png
1689555023863.png

• Love

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
A little update on how the menus are progressing. :3

Parts menu and first setup menu.

PS: I need to locate the file that contains the name of the parts and medals and how to translate it. It doesn't seem to be in a .spt :/

View attachment 383713View attachment 383714
It's in a .b file, seems to be fixed width for all names, i can make a quick tool to extract repack all .b files for you

Edit: They're mostly easy and friendly to edit, Example:
Atkmsg: it's a fixed width text file, every message is 50 (49 to be safe, always leave a 0x00 at the end to indicate end of string) bytes long
PartsText: Plain text, every line is a description of a part
ItemData: Just Strings of test with a 2 bytes describing their byte length
etc...
In Short, they all follow an easy to learn pattern that can be automated to export and import into and from a readable format

Last edited by YuseiFD,

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's in a .b file, seems to be fixed width for all names, i can make a quick tool to extract repack all .b files for you

Edit: They're mostly easy and friendly to edit, Example:
Atkmsg: it's a fixed width text file, every message is 50 (49 to be safe, always leave a 0x00 at the end to indicate end of string) bytes long
PartsText: Plain text, every line is a description of a part
ItemData: Just Strings of test with a 2 bytes describing their byte length
etc...
In Short, they all follow an easy to learn pattern that can be automated to export and import into and from a readable format
I tried to edit "メターミサイル" to "Meta-Misselle" inside the headparts.b file using wxMEdit and when I put it in the game the part name didn't appear anymore.

Could you please make this tool? Because I don't have that much knowledge in creating software, I just change the backend of an existing one normally.

MeiBunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
auem tem o link para download
Not yet, the project is at a very early stage, I'll be updating the post as I make progress.

PS: There are rules on GBATemp that only English is allowed for posts
Post automatically merged:

Small update

I've made some initial progress with the images. Currently, 40% have been translated into English, which is easier at the moment due to the similarities in the ENG - JP structure.

The translation of the texts into Portuguese will continue after I finish the images.

However, I've had some personal problems that have meant I've had to devote much less time to the project, and I haven't even been able to post updates because it's been so sudden.
But I'm still working on it.
Here are some screenshots of the translated images:

Screenshot_8.png
Screenshot_9.png
Screenshot_10.png
Screenshot_11.png

Last edited by MeiBunny,
  • Love

Kyech

Trophies
XP
Country
Not yet, the project is at a very early stage, I'll be updating the post as I make progress.

PS: There are rules on GBATemp that only English is allowed for posts
Post automatically merged:

Small update

I've made some initial progress with the images. Currently, 40% have been translated into English, which is easier at the moment due to the similarities in the ENG - JP structure.

The translation of the texts into Portuguese will continue after I finish the images.

However, I've had some personal problems that have meant I've had to devote much less time to the project, and I haven't even been able to post updates because it's been so sudden.
But I'm still working on it.
Here are some screenshots of the translated images:

View attachment 388871View attachment 388872View attachment 388873View attachment 388874
This is awessome dude

How are things going

Need some help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played