http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144...t&p=1868394

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I saw people asking me how I got my Integral 2GB USB stick to work in the other thread, which was too long to read through and thus reply, so I'll post my mini-guide here (people can feel free to copy it elsewhere or just email me for personal help).

EDIT: Formatting step (which I just tried out and replaces step 1), plugged the Integral 1GB USB stick (from my Dad) into the laptop, ran the GUI v2, selected drive E (for me, the other memory stick is drive F), checked the "format" box, then clicked the "Format" button that magically appeared. The DOS prompt came up with a warning that all data on the drive will be deleted, do I care, (y/n) ... not quite like that, but along those lines, I pressed y, I pressed enter, and it told me that it was "initialized". Congratulations, it's now using WBFS. Windows automatically told me that I need to format it before I use it. I told it no. It never pestered me again after that
biggrin.gif

EDIT: For those who don't understand what WBFS is, it's a Filing System, similar to FAT, FAT32 or NTSC. It's a way for the drive to arrange/look for the files stored on it. WBFS (Wii Backup Filing System) was developed by Kwiirk specifically for the USB Loader to make it easier for Wii games to be run. Windows cannot read it and will tell you to format it if you want to access it. That's what this tool is for - to help you put your ISO files onto the drive, extract the games into ISO files on your PC, or just manage the games on the drive.
  • First step, I inserted the USB stick into the Wii (before powering on to get past the ret= -1 error) and formatted it using the USB Loader v1.0. I'll test in a bit if the formatting tool works on another USB stick.
  • Second Step, I dumped Super Paper Mario (small game at 0.41GB, makes things quicker) from a backup DVD through USB Loader v1.0. It took 2 attempts to reach 100%, but it plays perfectly.
  • Third step, I plugged it into my laptop and ran the GUI (v1 but it should work the same in v2), using the "list ISOs" and "Drive Space info" buttons to get specific info of the single game on my USB stick. I also noted down the ID of the game for the next step.
  • Fourth step, I entered the ID of the game where it says "Enter Game ID to Extract Or Remove ISO From Drive". For Super Paper Mario, it's R8PP01.
  • Fifth step, I clicked "Extract ISO" and waited for the 5 minutes and 1 second it took to extract the ISO. I ended up with a 4.37GB Super_Paper_Mario.iso in the same folder. The numbers got stuck around 49.82% before DOS went back to the directory, not telling me that it finished, but it worked so meh.
  • Sixth step, I clicked "Remove ISO" and it instantly cleaned up my drive making it empty. I also clicked the "List ISOs" and "Drive Space Info" buttons to make sure it was indeed empty.
  • Seventh step, I clicked browse for the SPMario ISO then clicked "ISO Estimate" and was told that it would be 0.41GB on my drive. Sounded right - that's what it was before.
  • Eighth step, I clicked "Add ISO" to add the game back to my drive. 1 minute and 1 second later, it finished. I checked the game info and drive space info again, and it was the same as always. Fully working.
  • Final step, plug it into the Wii, load up USB Loader, play the game to see if it works. SSX Wii didn't work for me, but every other game has so far. I'll have to wait for a bigger USB drive to test bigger games than Zelda though.
EDIT: I just tried all of the above with the Integral 1GB USB Stick, using the GUI v2, and USB Loader v1.1, and it all works just perfectly (with the exception of extracting Super Paper Mario still caused the numbers to freeze at 49%, but it successfully dumped to my PC (if I left it alone for 5 minutes until the DOS prompt returned to the directory "C:\Downloads\WBFSGUI\WBFSGUI>" which meant it was done) and successfully got put back on the drive and played successfully on my Wii. Every function that I've tested works.

I've yet to tried the "Homebrew Dir" button. I don't know what it does, nor what it's supposed to do, and I don't understand the explanation wbfs win delta gives for it's function. Still, the rest works, and that's what matters
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Another quick edit, I am running all of this as the only user on my laptop (Vista), ergo as an Administrator. For some people, they will have to set up cmd.exe (DOS prompt) and wbfs_win.exe as an Administrator to get it running properly. That will fix some of the problems people get when trying to manipulate the drives, but Windows tends to want to suck sometimes so people will always find errors even if everything should be working. Good luck to you all
biggrin.gif

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lithium210 said:
I'm also getting the error "could not open drive: no error" when trying to format my 60gb 2.5 fujitsu.
I'm getting the same error. Whats the problem here? Any advice would be great.

Komak57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the errors you guys have reached is because your not reading the guides... 'Format drive' doesnt ACTUALLY format the drive... it just initialises the drive to run as WBFS... odds are, you recieved this error while formatting for Fat32, then formatting via the GUI, but didnt plug it into your wii to let it do the rest. NTFS formatting seems to solve this problem for some, and in my case, didnt require it to be plugged into the wii for extra formatting. (some drives dont like this option, some do).

As for the wbfs_win.exe issues, this is because the GUI is using the targeted ISO as a 'home' directory... just make a folder on your root(on a HD of your choice) and call it WBFS. Then put the gui, wbfs_win.exe, and all wii backups there...

[Recommendation to developer] If you want to avoid this with as little work as possible, make the GUI unpack "wbfs_win.exe" to the target iso's directory as a temporary file, and delete it when the program is closed, or when the target has changed. Might i also suggest adding a hotlink in the app to target your guide?

and finally, to those who ultimately reached this link googleing around for info...

This app simply runs commands from wbfs_win.exe. Hence the name 'gui' or Graphical User Interface. The program is designed to setup a hard drive with WBFS (wii backup file system?), Add, View, and Extract/remove backups that you've stored to it via the program(and internet) or from the original discs themselves (we love you legit's). While extracting iso's, youll come across something odd... Like Super Smash Bros Brawl stored as 6G+ extracting to 4,589,824 KB. This is normal, don't be alarmed. This is caused by the drive format and the iso storage method. As far as i've come across (meaning i may be off), Create Homebrew Dir doesn't function properly because of a lack of a method to store the homebrew to a WBFS formatted drive. This may be enhanced in the future.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Wow, the thead's been dead since April and you just resurrected it. Most went to other applications, and the few remaining with this app just use it because they're used to it. There are plenty to choose from, and all in Big Moe's list.

Komak57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually didnt know i had much of a choice. And yea, I tend to ignore post dates... This wbfs system was #1 google search for WBFS and was easily obtainable... that and it takes little to master, i figured id look into making it more versitile. Sadly, Max didnt toss in some source, so i couldnt make the modifications myself. Do you mind postin the names and/or links to other top wbfs apps?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    He was an android boy
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: He was an android boy