Mario Kart Arcade Game?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Dylaan, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Dylaan
    OP

Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2007
    Okay, so I went past the arcade up at our local mall yesterday and to my surprise they had two racers with Mario plastered all over them. I think it was in Japanese, or at least some of it was, but it definitely looked playable. I've never played MK:DD, but that's what it resembled the most, although it featured tamagotchi characters as well. (Argh!)

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I didn't get a chance to have a go but it looked cool...

EDIT: This is DEFINITELY it! http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/aa/am/vg/mariokart2/ Shame I can't read Japanese...

2. Jax

Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Jul 31, 2006
    L.A.V.
  3. myuusmeow

myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
  4. GameDragon

GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

Dec 4, 2005
    United States
    New York
    I've heard about the game a long time ago, but I've never seen one before. Seems to be a pretty rare game. [​IMG]

5. xShinobi

xShinobi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    I Managed To play it!! It was great! like the mariokart on ds reality style. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. martin88

martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2005
    Canada
    I played this before. If you're in Toronto you can play it in pacific mall.

7. dafatkid27

dafatkid27 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 17, 2004
    United States
    Haha, it blew my mind, I went to the new movie theater right by my house over the summer and they had two of these machines. For something so rare, it was kind of a random place for them to be...

8. StacMaster-S

StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

Mar 16, 2007
    United States
    Albany, NY
    The webcam feature is definitely the best part of this Mario Kart. Wish they could work that into future console ones!

9. kevo_the_man

kevo_the_man GBAtemp Regular

Nov 14, 2002
    Canada
    We have those in a local Arcade here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Well.. It's in a mall in Burnaby.. Great arcade that gets every new game before anywhere else.. infested with crazy DDR, and music game players.. and The Tekken Canadian championship team.. it's dope.

10. janitormane

janitormane Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    This is published by Namco and they regularly put cameras in their arcade machines. I don't know if anyone knows the name of these... One I recall is like a 4 on 4 team fortress with mechs. Your picture is above your mech and you try to take majority control.
    Another was like Toy commander racer and the player in 1st got a crown put over his head (above the car).

11. juggernaut911

juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    i played that!!! couldn't snake though... [​IMG]

12. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA

As far as I'm concerned, that would make the game better. I bitched about that when Ninty had me do a survey about MKDS. We already have power-ups and shortcuts, snaking ruins the balance, IMO.

I'd actually play MKDS again if they could figure a way to disable snaking online.

13. Dylaan
    OP

Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2007
    Would there be any way to say play this game with an emulator? It looks so cool. [​IMG]

14. Dylaan
    OP

Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2007
    Sorry for double post, but has anyone played the F-Zero arcade game? It turns out they have it at the same arcade as the Mario Kart GP one! [​IMG] I haven't see it, but it's listed on their website! [​IMG] I'm definitely going up there in the next few days!

15. CockroachMan

CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Jan 14, 2006
    Brazil
    Brazil
    I saw one once in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.. but I didn't played it

it's kinda weird.. it has Pac-man [​IMG]

16. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    That'll be F-Zero AX it was by Sega, it was made around the same time as F-Zero GX (Gamecube game) and on some models you could you use your GC memory card with a GX data on it. AX & GX both had different tracks and vehicles but those in the AX one could be unlocked on the GX one. I think the memory card thing enabled players to unlock the AX stuff on the GX version but I just used Action Replay codes instead.

The one at my arcade is pretty damn good but of course lacks the memory card port, shame its a £1 for one credit but the one at my arcade let me play until I lost a race. Mario Kart GP 1 & 2 however required £1 for each track even if you do win which is a bit of a rip off. It was an ok game for me, the tracks are way too wide and control feels a little off but I guess if you play it more you'll get used to it. Namco made it, I'm glad it was never released for GC or Wii as its easily the worst MK of the series.

Edit: Oh and no theres no way you can play it on an emulator for a long time.

17. Dylaan
    OP

Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2007
    Have you, or anyone played the version that looks like a simulator? (Or is that the only version?)

Aw, why not? [​IMG] Too powerful?