Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M coming Summer in Australia

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Feb 24, 2010.

1. granville
    OP

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
    Here's something i didn't expect. Nintendo of Australia announced today that two major Wii games- Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M, would be coming much sooner than expected. Between June and August to be more precise, summer. I didn't expect these two until Christmas at least. I guess they've been in development longer than i thought.

[​IMG]
    Obviously, Mario Galaxy 2 is the direct sequel to Mario Galaxy and shall be built off the same engine as the first one. A trailer was shown at e3 2009, showcasing a couple of new powerups, and even the return of Yoshi as an important part of the gameplay. It's unknown if Mario Galaxy 2 is a working title or what they intend to call it. I'd wager the latter, as simplicity and selling it as a direct sequel should serve them well considering the first game's popularity.

[​IMG]
    Not as much is known about Metroid: Other M. Although apparently, it is an earlier game in the timeline. It seems unrelated to any of the Prime games, and is not a first person shooter/adventure (at least, not primarily). There seems to be some variety from the e3 2009 trailer, and actually hints at some sidescrolling portions at some points. But that was very early tech demo footage. It's just not much is known about this game yet. Except that it is being developed by Team Ninja this time.

Obviously i wanted to post this, not only for our Aussie friends, but the rest of us as well. If they made the commitment to announce these games for a summer release there, it's not unwise to speculate they will be coming to other regions at similar times. This also leaves the holiday season wide open, perhaps for the coming of Zelda Wii? We'll see. At any rate, i'd expect a date for the US as well, with tomorrow's press release by NOA.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1071574p1.html

2. acesniper

acesniper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    Awesome, can't wait to play them.

3. X D D X

X D D X GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Yeah, US dates will probably be announced soon. I hope this means that Zelda will be their big Holiday title.

4. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Sick! so your saying that a USA release is likely to be around/ before that time?

5. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    now... nobody go and take pics of the receipts when you make an early dump... [​IMG]

6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    june-august isn't summer for us [​IMG]

7. Llama Riot

Llama Riot Banned

Banned
    Feb 18, 2010
    United States
    Hell!
    thats exactly what i was thinking, wouldn't that mean next November-January?

8. granville
    OP

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
    Excrement! You're right. I'd forgotten, but Aussies are BELOW the equator and have different seasons from us above there... Sorry about that man. I've never been good at remembering to distinguish between different regions and time zones, whatever. :fail:

Indeed, this would put it as winter for Australian if i'm correct.

9. Llama Riot

Llama Riot Banned

Banned
    Feb 18, 2010
    United States
    Hell!
    Well IGN says June - August specifically, so you got your point across.

10. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
  11. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH
    Cool, so us Americans/Europeans will be able to pirate it during OUR summer? Neat indeed.

Though both of these games will have to have extreme AP on them. No doubt about it.

12. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    give it a few days a week at most to make it go away just don't download it until than [​IMG]

13. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Yeah after what you know who did if there is an early Australian release there would be guaranteed AP and there's a chance Nintendo will get it right and make it unplayable for downloaders.

14. Master Mo

Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Nov 22, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Man Mo Temple
    Nice, I expected Mario Galaxy, because Nintendo always said, that they had so many ideas, that didn`t make it into the first, but I thought Other M would take more time til the release.

Isn`t today the media summit of Nintendo? Maybe we`ll get to see some in-game-footage... (one can dream [​IMG])

15. Elritha

Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Jan 24, 2006
    Canada
    Looking forward to Mario Galaxy 2. I wasn't expecting that until around the end of the year. Hopefully Nintendo don't decide to delay it after announcing it now.

Never heard of Metroid: Other M until now...

16. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    I think metroid other M will be less than the primes. love those, three of the few games that have actual hard work in them.
    other m looks a bit outdated styled to me ...

17. ZenZero

ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

Mar 12, 2008
    no, the media summit is tomorrow or so i hear,

18. granville
    OP

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
    As much as i love Prime 1 (never played the other two), the classics still beat it for me. Super Metroid is amazing, even better than Prime. Hopefully, this one will recapture that classic feel. Super Metroid is definitely not outdated either.

19. granville
    OP

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Naples, Florida
  20. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    tried to play super metroid on a emulator, but the emulator's controles sucked. even though it is a snes game it is beautifull.
    only Other M will not be such a sidescrolling game but more like Ninja Gaiden: Dragon's sword.

If you want more information about metroid (all games) google metroid wiki.