Hacking Mariko units - market arrival?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Team Fail0verflow - Jan 12th. / ReSwitched soon afterwards.

But the T214 was already in the works before this by Nvidia, and there is no direct confirmation it fixes all the 'bootrom bugs', there is infact a dozen, of which only one been reported on and now make public.

But T214 (aka) mariko does exist at least in 'development stage', as firmware v5.0.0 starts to support it, and v5.0.2 even more so with extra checks on newer lines of fuses, etc.
That makes me wonder what features, other than possibly patching some bootrom bugs, may the new chip include, if any.
I guess a reasonable feature would be decreased power consumption and increased battery life.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well then, I guess I will buy one today! :O
Do you guys know when Mariko will be released? In that case I can buy the switch and return it within 30 days...
Or has Mariko already been released?
To emphasise, it's not a 'release' in the traditional sense. It will appear unannounced on the market as merely an internal revision. There may not even be a way to tell externally unless they use a new hardware number.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
To emphasise, it's not a 'release' in the traditional sense. It will appear unannounced on the market as merely an internal revision. There may not even be a way to tell externally unless they use a new hardware number.

I will buy a switch today just in case. :P
Hopefully it will be below 4.1.0 :)

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There is a google sheets floating around which has collection of switch firmwares based on serials. I used that to buy myself a v2.3.0 one.
Hahaha sweet!! Do I have to open the box in order to see the serial number? Or can I find it outside the box? :)

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then, I guess I will buy one today! :O
Do you guys know when Mariko will be released? In that case I can buy the switch and return it within 30 days...
Or has Mariko already been released?
Yeah, I'd get one sooner than later.

No one knows when it will be released, as I said we'll probably find out when a someone tries to run one of the exploits and can't. They'll more than likely post here or on Reddit. There most likely won't be a way to tell if it's a Mariko right off the bat(maybe by the firmware but that's not guaranteed). Once enough are released I'm sure we'll have some way to distinguish a Mariko verses a non-Mariko unit.

When you get your Switch just check the system firmware, if it's 4.1.0 or lower, its not a Mariko.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mariko is going to be the new hardware revision of the Switch. We're basically waiting for someone to post that they can't run any of the expolits and that's probably how we'll learn of it's arrival.

The New 3DS was a new hardware revision of the 3DS, that was announced and put on the box. We don't know if they'll follow the same pattern.

Thanks to the support in 5.x we know that Mariko is faster than the original switch. It would seem strange if they silently released it.

They can fix the fusee gelee exploit without Mariko though as they can apply patches to the bootrom during manufacture, just not afterwards.

But the T214 was already in the works before this by Nvidia, and there is no direct confirmation it fixes all the 'bootrom bugs', there is infact a dozen, of which only one been reported on and now make public.

The fusee gelee release notes say that it affects all cpus before the T186, which I assume means it was fixed in T186 that is used on the Jetson TX2. You can buy one and dump the bootrom and check. If true then nvidia knew this bug existed before the disclosure.

Last edited by smf,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The New 3DS was a new hardware revision of the 3DS, that was announced and put on the box. We don't know if they'll follow the same pattern.

Thanks to the support in 5.x we know that Mariko is faster than the original switch. It would seem strange if they silently released it.

They can fix the fusee gelee exploit without Mariko though as they can apply patches to the bootrom during manufacture, just not afterwards.

The fusee gelee release notes say that it affects all cpus before the T186, which I assume means it was fixed in T186 that is used on the Jetson TX2. You can buy one and dump the bootrom and check. If true then nvidia knew this bug existed before the disclosure.
I doubt they will release it as a "new" console though, the 3DS and New 3DS we're 3 years apart, the Switch is just over a year old. Not saying it can't happen but they would have to reduce the price of the Switch if they do come out with a "New Switch" or make the "New Switch" more expensive. I just don't see any of that happening.

Also, as far as we know the RAM increase may be only for devkit units(unless I missed comformation that it was going for retail units). If you have a source for this I'd love to see it, please.

Yes, I know Fusée Gelée can be patched during manufacturing, I never said it couldn't.

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Switches have fast restocking times though because they sell so fast (and I believe Nintendo is still airmailing them).
5.0 was introduced about 7 weeks ago and could be showing up in stores any day now.

Waiting is riskier than most people here make it out to be.

Someone already post it about a 5.x.x unit but he didn't test it

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, as far as we know the RAM increase may be only for devkit units(unless I missed comformation that it was going for retail units).

Sure, the maximum for tx2 is 8gb. That doesn't mean it will necessarily ship with 8gb.

If Mariko is Tx2 based then it has a faster GPU and extra CPU cores.

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/jetson-tx2-delivers-twice-intelligence-edge/

It's possible that they will disable the denver2 cores and keep the GPU running the same speed, but unless they are doing it because they can't get the old CPU then it's likely going to be more expensive for no benefit.

It would be like Ford making an electric vehicle that can only be charged by the built in petrol generator & keeping quiet about it.

Last edited by smf,

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's a good enough reason not to buy another switch if you want 2, 1 for cfw offline and 1 for ofw online, or if your 1st switch got banned.
It's very much possible that Nintendo is pulling a Sony/Microsoft, increase hardware performance for a higher resolution and more fps.
The switch is in theory capable of 4k hdr video playback(shield TV for example), revision might enable 4k gaming docked.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, Nintendo themselves have done this before with the DSi and New 3DS. In both cases, they prioritised compatibility with the base model to the extent that the enhanced consoles were never really utilised.

Reactions: tiliarou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night