Marijuana?

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the only reasonable way i see to make it legal is to discredit why it was made illegal in the first place. just because it's not as harmful as alcohol or cigarettes (debatable) still doesn't change the fact it's in the majority harmful and already illegal... so why WOULD they make it legal? by comparing it to alcohol and cigarettes you're just pushing to make both of those illegal too.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jumpman: ovbiously you have never eatten a pot brownie. They definitely work. Weed is fat soluble not water soluble, therefore when you mix it with butter you get ghee, I E pot butter, which omg it works so well.

Nope, never smoked, drank, or used any kind of illegal drugs or misused legal ones and never will.

I didn't say that you don't get high from eating it, I said the amount that is absorbed into the blood stream is not nearly the same as what is absorbed from inhaling it as a gas form.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think you misunderstand the 'gateway drug' argument – it's an argument that more or less pro-legalization or pro-decriminalization. The idea is that, while Marijuana is considered illegal, doing it would create a mindset of "Oh, well, this is illegal? I'd thought it'd be a lot worse. It's actually kinda fun!" –– then kids have little recourse than to actually do drugs.
My thoughts exactly.

But the same argument is very often used by those who oppose decriminalization/legalization, going something along the lines of "it would make it more easily obtainable".

I've read a newspaper article recently where that was the main argument of the anti-legalization side. "Most drug addicts claim marijuana was their gateway to serious drugs." I call "bullshit".

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/brain1.html

A source for the THC receptor facts.

And veho I can't agree more. I smoked weed for 5-6 years, and the only "harder" drug I ever tried was mushrooms. And believe me it's not because I couldn't find any other drugs, it's because I see what other drugs do to people, and that's not what I wanted for myself.

Before I started smoking weed, I was against it just because that's how I was raised. But when I saw the effects on my peers, and it definitely wasn't anything out of a horror flick, I decided to try it. It was probably one of the best decisions in my life. It brought me out of a deep depression, and made everything taste good and funny. Haha.

The only reason I can't smoke, is because I'm on probation for possession of marijuana. Which furthers my motivations for legalization.

rezen

Trophies
XP
Country
Shouldn't be legalised... It would be great for it but I wouldn't want anyone to start it either, it's a big fucking waste of time.

It can be used on medical grounds but I can imagine it just breaking outta control.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't be legalised... It would be great for it but I wouldn't want anyone to start it either, it's a big fucking waste of time.

It can be used on medical grounds but I can imagine it just breaking outta control.

How is it a big waste of time?

Chatting on the internet in a video game forum is a waste of time. Playing video games is a waste of time. Every thing's a waste of time. You're going to die, why not have fun before that?

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
I guess if you have to be pro for it, for your debate, then the previously mentioned arguements are valid. These would be that it is considered a "safer" drug than the available legal drugs - nicotine and ethanol - and the active ingredient THC, has medicinal uses. All I'd suggest is doing some research based on peoples oppions here to get some accurate and reliable, quotable facts.

I personally would use the example of Amsterdam where it is legallised, and get some good hard stats relivant to the drug use and social issues, and compare them with statistics for legal drugs from your country.

As for medicinal use, dronabinol is available in some countries as a synthetic THC drug. So maybe some good figures and medical
statistics would help your case.

I'm sure this isn't really too much help, but I just wanted to share wht I would do in your position.

Best of luck - Incidently I smoke weed so am for Pro!

Peace

PS RE: previous post - There's more to life than losing time

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my 24 years, I've never smoked *anything* before in my life, but I'm extremely pro pot legalization.

- Over a billion dollars of US tax dollars are spent each year keeping prisoners in jail for pot possession/distribution. That's well over 1/10 of all the prisoners. Overcrowding in jails is a huge problem. Maybe we shouldn't jail people for retarded reasons. This doesn't even take into account the money that's spent on police enforcing anti-pot laws.
http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/47815/

- It's impossible to overdose from marijuana.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2093.html

- Pot is far less addictive than alcohol, cigarettes, or caffeine.
http://www.drugsense.org/mcwilliams/www.ma...oc/addictiv.htm

- As somebody already said, we could sell pot in gas stations and not only profit from it, but we could also keep the pot safer. Pot on the streets can be laced with much more dangerous drugs if it doesn't come from a reputable source.

- Just because something is illegal doesn't mean that it *should* be illegal. Remember prohibition and how well that turned out.

Like I said, I've never done pot before in my life, I just think that it's common sense that it should be legal. Cigarettes are the same way, I think they should be legal, but if I catch my parents or brothers smoking, they know that there's going to be hell to pay. It's a personal choice. And since it's not harmful to a person, they should be able to make that choice if they so choose.

There's no reason that you should lose this debate, dude.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
well

may surprise some people here, but Im pro legalizing it

me and my friends indulge in it fairly often, it's impossible to OD on, less harmful than the repercussions of alcohol.
if it was legal, it could have a form of quality control, atleast an age restriction with a chance of being enforced
and would put some criminals out of work

plus, it just isn't that bad
I've been drunk many times, it isn't that much fun.. people get angry, sleepy, sick and rarely fun
weed is great, just relaxing with your friends, laughing your asses off

im going to qutoe this post because it echos my feelings perfectly.
grog.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This time of the year again is it.

Many things can be said and indeed they already have. As it stands I do not even use caffeine products but I will however point out that I have probably seen as many people stoned as drunk and the proportion of those who were stoned that proceeded to start something is just this side of zero. The few times that it has occurred can probably be explained by serious things happening prior to the event and those responsible being idiots in the first place.

rezen

Trophies
XP
Country

How is it a big waste of time?

Chatting on the internet in a video game forum is a waste of time. Playing video games is a waste of time. Every thing's a waste of time. You're going to die, why not have fun before that?

Believe me, being stoned for a lot of people is a way of getting lazy. This is what makes it a big waste of time; You can be getting things done instead going off and being lazy because you are too stoned.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, the merits and downfalls of drug use are completely irrelevant to the question of prohibition, because prohibition doesn't work.

It doesn't matter what you're prohibiting(pot, drugs, alcohol, abortions), if people feel they need it they will find a way to aquire it, and that is why prohibition is such a big problem. It provides a huge source of funding for gangs, drug cartels, and organized crime. Well armed gangs are well armed because they make lots of money selling illegal drugs.

When you ban something, you throw away any control you once had over it. There is not much bootleg alcohol going around anymore. There is still some, because of the various taxes on alcohol, but most people just get thier booze from the store. This cuts the criminals out almost entirely.

Prohibition also prevents you from regulating quality, which makes the drugs much more dangerous, and it makes it impossible to keep people from selling drugs to children. I can tell you from personal experience that it was easier to get pot than alcohol when I was 16.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Meh, Its all up to the person and how they handle, I used to puff every day for over a year...Man that was the best year of my life but now i've quit and my mates still smoke it and sometimes it sucks because they're just boring, They sit around like zombies. It's all fun if you're baked too tho. I just feel the way its becoming now days the mental health figures will rise up due to the fact that skunk is not as friendly as it used to be, Theres alot of potent shit around and its getting more dangerous.

Veurruckte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really love weed, but I will smoke with some good friends on special occasions. The only reason it's illegal (Correct me if I'm wrong) is because of the propaganda they spread in the early 1900's about weed making people crazy. The reality is marijuana has few side effects, and it's been proven that people who smoke weed on a regular basis are just as smart as people who don't.

Anyone who is educated knows that alcohol much more dangerous than weed. Look at how many people die every year because of alcohol. Look at all the lives that are ruined because of alcohol. How many people die from weed? How many lives does it ruin? Unlike alcohol, weed doesn't affect your judgment, and it doesn't make you aggressive. As long as alcohol is legal, or even tobacco for that matter, it is ridiculous that weed is illegal.

As long as you smoke in moderation (IE, on occasion) I see nothing wrong with it. However, I do believe being mentally dependent on it is wrong.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I smoke it every day-usually half or 1/3 a joint. Helps me relax. I don't smoke cigs or drink alcohol anymore, just smoke grass. Hell, I never even touch asprin or any of that stuff. I don't sit there tokin' and going woah, maaaaan look at the colours, maaaaan. That's a teenager's game. A toke a day keeps the doctor away.

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
reason why i would like it to be legalized is that it helps my medical condition. this is for real and no joke
edit: i have problems in my inner ear .. some blood circulation problem so sometimes when i eat too much salt i get dizzy and vomit etc.. smoking ganja helps...

karamu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone who is educated knows that alcohol much more dangerous than weed. Look at how many people die every year because of alcohol. Look at all the lives that are ruined because of alcohol. How many people die from weed? How many lives does it ruin? Unlike alcohol, weed doesn't affect your judgment, and it doesn't make you aggressive. As long as alcohol is legal, or even tobacco for that matter, it is ridiculous that weed is illegal.
The problem i find with this comment is that you are comparing numbers directly rather than on a ratio per numbers of users. of course since a huge proportion of the population consumes alcohol that there will be a much larger occurance of alcohol related problems than marijuana. you go around saying anyone educated blah blah.. but the way you compare things is not good.

Having been drinking with a mate and then have him drive into a pole while drunk and decapitate himself and having another friend become a schizophrenic from smoking marijauna on his first use i have seen both substances ruin lives. I would like to say that you really need to check where you are getting your sources from. you can't trust a website about the medical facts of marijuana when it is run by a pro-legal marijuana group as the above website is. That is like believing everything mike moore tells you in his documentaries. people always select the information they want to display to give their arguement the most weight while omitting the other evidence that is contrary to their belief.

At the end of the day it is your choice to smoke up, but since quiting 4 years ago i don't miss it or feel i need it at all. i suggest for all those out there smoking it, do some real research from medical studies that don't have a bias one way or another, make up your own mind and do as you please with the drug. but i suggest being informed about the choice you are making so that you don't regret it later. I have seen various drugs including alcohol and tabacco destroy the health of friends. know the risks and make your choice, it doesn't matter what other people think you should do!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: