ROM Hack MapleStory DS - English Translation Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkFrost said:
Its settled then. I believe short forms take away from the professionalism of the game, since a real port of the game would not use this.

So I'll go with the original plan and re-type long names to similar names that sound the same.

e.g Wooden Samurai Sword - Wood Samurai Sword
Brown Hard Leather Top - Hard Leather Top
If you're pressed for space, it might be a good idea to drop the color from the names all together...
In the PC version they were just there to distinguish different stat type gear.

For example, the Stealer type armor for Thief: http://global.hidden-street.net/search_finder/Stealer
In the game, there's only one of each type of armor, the Red Gold Stealer for example, so instead of "Red Gold Stealer" (16), you can use "Stealer" (7)

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkFrost said:
Its settled then. I believe short forms take away from the professionalism of the game, since a real port of the game would not use this.

So I'll go with the original plan and re-type long names to similar names that sound the same.

e.g Wooden Samurai Sword - Wood Samurai Sword
Brown Hard Leather Top - Hard Leather Top

From looking at the screenshots, it seems that the spaces are kind of extra wide. You could possibly reduce spaces by 1-2 pixels and gain that much extra space for every space that is used.

You may also find that you could replace the double-byte English characters with smaller characters, allowing you to use longer names for items and equipment but still maintaining the larger font (single-byte) for the other areas of the game. Although double-byte takes double the space in the file, because you have a text inserter, the only way this would be a problem is if the files have a hard coded size limit.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NDStemp said:
I have a feeling there's going to be grammar/spelling mistakes.

You should change the "Than" in the part where you create your character to "Then" unless you already have.

Is still english. No?

DarkFrost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NDStemp said:
I have a feeling there's going to be grammar/spelling mistakes.

You should change the "Than" in the part where you create your character to "Then" unless you already have.
Yeah no worries, already fixed that.

To others about equipment, I found a solution.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DarkFrost said:
Etc.jpg
On the right: It would be Dragon's Toenail instead of Dragons Toenail, would it not? Yeah, it's a small detail, but if you guys are talking about professionalism then I'm going to do my best to point out any and every small error that, if gone uncorrected, would make the translation seem like a lower-quality piece of work than what you guys are trying to make it to be.

EDIT: That's the term I'm looking for. Editor! I can't be a translator, but I sure as hell can be an editor, if you like.

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good stuff DarkFrost and the team, its looking awesome!

Wish I could help, but im still trying to learn the basics XD

Is there a % completion on the front page?

DarkFrost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Twoacross said:
Good stuff DarkFrost and the team, its looking awesome!

Wish I could help, but im still trying to learn the basics XD

Is there a % completion on the front page?
Sorry there is no % completion and I don't think we will be calculating that.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkFrost said:
Sorry there is no % completion and I don't think we will be calculating that.
Don't bother.... takes too much time/effort to keep that updated.

If you want to do any sort of status updates at all, just mention the chapter you're working on and leave it at that.
And never give dates, unless you want people screaming at you lol.

NDStemp

GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Skyline969 said:
DarkFrost said:
On the right: It would be Dragon's Toenail instead of Dragons Toenail, would it not? Yeah, it's a small detail, but if you guys are talking about professionalism then I'm going to do my best to point out any and every small error that, if gone uncorrected, would make the translation seem like a lower-quality piece of work than what you guys are trying to make it to be.

EDIT: That's the term I'm looking for. Editor! I can't be a translator, but I sure as hell can be an editor, if you like.

Actually, it's just "Dragon Toenail"

Edit: Prewf.
http://global.hidden-street.net/eq/weapons/dagger

LastMartini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried to find an AR code for a full monsterbook.

You would then be able to translate the monsters, items and weapons a whole lot easier.

DarkFrost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
LastMartini said:

You would then be able to translate the monsters, items and weapons a whole lot easier.
We are almost done naming all the monsters (6 or so more)

The monster book does not include items and weapons.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you had a code to give you every item and equipment, you could just look at the picture and know exactly what the English name for the item is. Of course, I'm not sure if everything was directly ripped from the PC game. It seems there are new monsters, at least.

AkaXero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loving the amount of progress, I find it nicer to see graphical progress (screenshots) as it puts it more into perspective than seeing say Items: 100% Script: 30% etc.

Keep up the great work everyone =D if you ever need any help with the editing side of things (compiling them into better English, correcting item names etc) then I'd gladly volunteer to help.

clashthunder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarkFrost said:
LastMartini said:

We are almost done naming all the monsters (6 or so more)

The monster book does not include items and weapons.
sorry but it does if you collect the card

Kerch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, i COULD be an Editor.. Because i play maplestory anyway.. And i know this will never be released in english. I just wanna do my bit rather than sit around day after day hoping it will be done. =]

Edit; Ive applied, waiting to be accepted~
smile.gif

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I'd love to help out with this project. I don't speak Korean, but with my familiarity with MapleStory(been playing since 2006, 2 years of GMS; 2 years of Private Servers) I could definitely help out. Just PM me or MSN me. I love the Maple DS game, and would love to see an English version.

Found a site useful for identifying Items from their Korean name: http://maple.playforum.net/info/item/

Search the Korean name, and it'll pull up anything with that in the title, along with the sprite for it. Used in combination with MapleTip, it makes item translation and editing rapid.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NDStemp said:
Skyline969 said:
DarkFrost said:

Actually, it's just "Dragon Toenail"

Edit: Prewf.
http://global.hidden-street.net/eq/weapons/dagger
Ohh, nice catch. I did notice something wrong with it though.
wink.gif
I suppose if I became an editor (I did apply) I would stick to mostly the game script instead of items, mainly because there are some items spelled kinda... special in MS, and some I've never heard of before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Guess its been out on PC for a year. Was up for some indie awards.