Maplestory 3DS: The Girl of Destiny [100% ENG Patch][Release]

Please update to the latest version before reporting any bugs/crashes. Latest version says v1.03 during the game's boot.

Hey Everyone!

Today I'd like to introduce you to the English Translation of the game:
Maplestory: The Girl of Destiny (3DS):

ip3Qfyq.png

Current Progress: DONE (100% done)
We'd like to present you with the awesome release trailer made by SoyAlexPop for us:

It's out now!

We have worked hard to translate this game for the fans of the Maplestory series to enjoy. Maplestory 3DS is similar to it's PC MMO counterpart but is unique because it has a full story-line focused on an original main character named Mugi. The game features advanced mechanics like environment pieces you can use to help solve puzzles or even as weapons to defeat your foes (things like rolling boulders, lightning storm clouds, etc.).

It's a lot of fun and as fans of the game series we want to help you all to be able to enjoy it too.

The Team:
iser911 - New Lead Translator
(translated 50+% of the game).
WillTheLion - Project Coordinator, Translator & UI/GFX Text Editing
DavidKang- Translator (helped with Korean text)
Flyingsky - Text Translator and Tinkerer
Liomajor - UI/GFX Text Editing and Cut-scenes
Glitch - Text Translating + Cut-scenes
Vague Rant - Proof Reader and Script Editor

Honorable Mentions:
Sliter - Some Graphics
Truner - Logo Art
SoyAlexPop - Trailer Video
IcySon55 - Hosting the Translation Discord

Download Translation Patch v1.03 + NTR Plugin for Easy Use:

Features cleaner subtitles, Korean dubbed videos, a new banner with the actual English logo. A small bug that caused the Chief of Leafre to have blank text boxes has been fixed.

Release time! All crashes and bugs fixed. All proofread and corrected. Also we found a new way to create the .ctpk image files that greatly lowered the file size and maintained 100% quality so the patch is now has much faster load times.Here's the links to the update:

New version 1.03 NTR patch: http://www86.zippyshare.com/v/P0BGr8Ju/file.html

The crash was caused by our .ctpk taking up too much VRAM during the final boss because of how big and animated he is. He takes up lots of memory. This and all other bugs have been fixed. This in theory is the "definitive version".

Please update to the latest version before reporting any bugs/crashes.

Hello Player!

This is the v1.03 version of the game. The text has been proof-read and many bugs/crashes have been fixed
since our initial release. There shouldn't be any more crashes but please if there is a crash let us know!

IF THE GAME CRASHES: Please take note of the name of the map where you were before it crashed
as well as the portal you tried to take that caused the game to crash.
~IF you know how to use JKSM to export your save, if you'd like to export a copy of your
save file from right before where it crashed that could be helpful too.

All that having been said, we're hopeful that all bugs have been fixed, and hopefully you won't have any issues.

If you still find a crash let us know here please: https://discord.gg/xkyPhSX

If you find some broken color tags or text that goes of screen feel free to tell us what
the message said and we'll fix it quickly. Or post a screenshot that'd be even better!

Thanks again guys! We hope you have as much fun playing as we did translating this for you!

-WillTheLion

The easiest way to use the patch is to use the NTR plugin Flyingsky has made for use with the the patch and the game. Or you could always check that one iso site.

1. You need the NTR Firmware to use the layeredFS plugin​
2. Install it.​
(If you can't start NTR using those 2 files make sure you have tick "SysNAND is updated (A9LH-only)" in your A9LH options)​
3. Then copy the plugin folder to the root of your SD card.
Copy all the changed files into a folder called "maple" on the root of your SD card.

4.Start NTR on your 3DS and start your game (cartridge or cia doesn't matter).

The maple folder uses the same folder structure as the normal romfs uses and as such can also be used inside your own romfs file if you would rather use HANS.

If you'd like to use these in your own game with HANS by dumping your own romsf folder, and then copy and pasting the files from the maple folder into your dumped/extracted romfs folder (replace the original files), and then rebuild your own romfs. Name it 00111600.romfs and put it in the 'hans' folder on the root of your sd card. Then run the game cart or cia through hans in the homebrew launcher.

Here's a good guide of how to extract and rebuild your own romfs: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-roms.383055/

Even though we've now translated 100% of the game, we still intend to refine this to make it better. We'll also fix any bugs or crashes if any come up. Please let us know of any problems you have and we'll happily fix them.​

Last edited by WillTheLion,

eijom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had fun getting lots done today. I'm playing through the game now and taking screenshots of the untranslated stuff as I go. That way it'll be easier to translate when I'm home and able to sit at the computer.

Translated things kinda all over today. Working in ch5/6 now.
Great work on this! Will you translate this to 100% and finish the project? do you have an ETA? like by end of the year! keep at it!

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work on this! Will you translate this to 100% and finish the project? do you have an ETA? like by end of the year! keep at it!

Progress on this is still continuing. I've got a few extra days off next week so I'm hopeful that I will get a larger chunk done with that extra time. No plans of a final release date of a 100% translated version but be sure that I do intend to see this through to 100% translated. A Christmas release would be nice. No garuntees though.

zaczac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Progress on this is still continuing. I've got a few extra days off next week so I'm hopeful that I will get a larger chunk done with that extra time. No plans of a final release date of a 100% translated version but be sure that I do intend to see this through to 100% translated. A Christmas release would be nice. No garuntees though.

Yes please! :D

Keep up the great work man :)

eijom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Woohoo! Glad to hear the project is still being continued. Keep up the great work

Siggyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep up the good work! I'm excited to be able to play this :3

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ran some numbers after translating today. The progress looks as follows:

Ignoring the images in the total count of lines that needed translating we have approximately 60.5% of the game done. (Again not including images.)

That's only 1970 text boxes to go to be finished with the game. Meaning we've done 3018 text boxes so far.

iSubaru

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
I was poking around well-known-games-database for information about certain series and bumped into "You may also like Maple Story 3DS". I think heh all fine and dandy but just like I have predicted long time ago that from those two - Maple Story and Ragnarok Online (offline?) - Ragnarok will be translated first which kinda happened just with correction "and Maple Story will never be", I thought that 3DS version is not getting official translation.
Then I think "hey maybe there is enough fans of the game which will try to translate the game... aaand here I am reading through the topic more and more happy with every second.

Ran some numbers after translating today. The progress looks as follows:

Ignoring the images in the total count of lines that needed translating we have approximately 60.5% of the game done. (Again not including images.)

That's only 1970 text boxes to go to be finished with the game. Meaning we've done 3018 text boxes so far.

Woah that's pretty nice, I curse myself for not learning Japanese language to be helpful in that area. I can only offer some intensive testing like dunno... if the game doesn't crash (silly, of course it won't :P), if the text boxes are consistent, translation errors and stuff like that.

I guess I will try that patch in some near future, you know what they say, "exp won't gain by itself". :P

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was poking around well-known-games-database for information about certain series and bumped into "You may also like Maple Story 3DS". I think heh all fine and dandy but just like I have predicted long time ago that from those two - Maple Story and Ragnarok Online (offline?) - Ragnarok will be translated first which kinda happened just with correction "and Maple Story will never be", I thought that 3DS version is not getting official translation.
Then I think "hey maybe there is enough fans of the game which will try to translate the game... aaand here I am reading through the topic more and more happy with every second.

Woah that's pretty nice, I curse myself for not learning Japanese language to be helpful in that area. I can only offer some intensive testing like dunno... if the game doesn't crash (silly, of course it won't :P), if the text boxes are consistent, translation errors and stuff like that.

I guess I will try that patch in some near future, you know what they say, "exp won't gain by itself". :P

Hey there glad to have your support. I didn't know that there had been a Ragnarok offline game. Was that on the ds? We're still working on this. Our hopeful estimate is that maybe a Christmas or New Years release. This largely depends on if my work has excessive overtime for the holidays or not, but it's quite possible I think.

I know I've avoided announcing hoped for deadlines before, but I think this is a reachable goal if I can manage to find the time amidst my two jobs. One job I work at gives me around 2 weeks off so I'm hopeful!

Reactions: renhei

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So thanks to CakeLancelot's discovery of a translate feature built into GoogleSheets I was able to use that to our advantage. I've now got ALL the remaining text (minus a few mostly translated files) grouped into this huge google spreadsheet with google translated versions of both the japanese and the korean text side by side.

You may preview it (but not edit it) by clicking here.

From this I was able to make a printable spreadsheet of about 66 (double-sided) pages. I'm going to print it sometime today and then I will be able to carry this with me everywhere I go to help me translate using these basic translations, in addition to the original text with my original knowledge to provide translations to the remainder of the game. This is big news because this now means that I have the ability to carry the text that needs translated with me everywhere I go. Meaning that I can translate anywhere that I am even without internet and/or my laptop to work with. After I do any paper translations it'll be quick and easy to go and add the text back in to the real files.

So in theory this should help the project move along at a faster pace (at least as far as my own translating goes).

As a side note: This spreadsheet has all markup language code removed. stuff such as {}, /[/], or < >, have all been removed to prevent them from messing up the machine translation. But rest assured I will be careful to readd any such missing color tags when adding them back into the respective original file(s).

The project marches on!
Just as soon as I beat Pokemon Moon. Hehe...

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a pm from someone who was took that google sheet and used it to translate some. So I'm thinking it's actually a good idea. Anyone who wants to help out with some translations may try to do so.

I've made a copy of the google sheet that is editable by anyone.

Here's the new link if anyone would like to try to contribue: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U7tRVSi9Ql0asvUV7Mdha2sM9lQjvA-vPzXRooQmqpU/edit?usp=sharing

Any help we can get is appreciated so we can get this out sooner! Thanks again!

tharonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey, saw your topic couple of weeks ago and thought it was a great idea. Now with the shared sheet I figured it was time to contribute.
I've translated till row 25 (line ~180). Im not korean or japaneese, so it will all be google translations with a bit of thinking.

I'll see if I can do more soon. Keep up the good work! If you need help with image translation, let me know. I like to mess around with photoshop and stuff.

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So iser911 over at that iso site is helping with translating a lot. He's got a copy of the google sheet downloaded and is working on it offline in excel. He has already translated up to line 1000 of the google sheet. I'll say it again publicly that I and the rest of the team appreciate the help from him and everyone else a ton!

He brought to mind an issue that I hadn't thought about concerning names being not knowing names of things, places, or people. So to remedy that I've included our comprehensive list of names as a second tab to the google spreadsheet.

For convenience you can and anyone else can look at the names here at this pastebin: pastebin.com/mnv1HhxW

Edit: I've updated the Google Sheet with his most recent huge batch.

For now I'd recommend anyone not wanting to translate the same thing as some else that you move down the file a thousand or two more. Lots to do. Thanks guys!

Reactions: mudkippi

renhei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great job everyone! This is why open source is good :)

Hey, saw your topic couple of weeks ago and thought it was a great idea. Now with the shared sheet I figured it was time to contribute.
I've translated till row 25 (line ~180). Im not korean or japaneese, so it will all be google translations with a bit of thinking.

Eh, your efforts are appreciated, but if you don't actually speak the language fluently you shouldn't try translating it. There's lots you'll miss without actually knowing the grammar and words, and idioms and more.

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh... if you don't actually speak the language fluently you shouldn't try translating it.

I disagree. Everyone starts somewhere and no one starts a genius. Besides as you mentioned open source is good, or that is to say there will be people with a greater understanding that can help review and add to the stuff people can make using even just Google's machine babble.

In fact I wish more people were willing to try and do what @tharonny is doing.

renhei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, correct, I was just thinking that you probably don't want parts of the translation of the final game to be poor quality, yeah? Though, if people do what tharonny is doing, and fluent speakers review and correct it, then I agree, that is very helpful.

Flyingsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I see it like that:
You don't have to be fluent to translate a game, but you should be able to understand most sentences using a dictionary (maybe even reviewing grammar, I still do that all the time when I'm not sure about something).
You should have AT LEAST a basic grasp of the grammar, before you try to translate one.
Google translate is actually okay for looking up words (though I prefer weblio and jisho), but please don't use it for sentence, it may give you a direction what the words could mean, but the sentences are almost always completely wrong.

Other than that, I think translating a game is a pretty good yet tedious and little bit hard way to practice your understanding of a language. Especially when you know communities that help you when you don't understand a sentence.
People should know the language they want to translate to very well though, I don't mind reading a slightly wrong translated yet understandable sentence.
But I hate reading sentences that don't even make sense in English and you still scratch your head wondering:"What do I have to do now?".

TL;DR: Imo everybody that has a good grasp of basic grammar, and good English can translate games.
Hello I'm kinda back.

Reactions: WillTheLion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, good chunk of my recommendations are family guy clips