Homebrew Manually Updating to Newest Firmware

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched my 3DS but I just got Persona Q2 and I want to know how to manually update a 3DS without using the internet and also find out how to manually update Luma when I get on the newest firmware.

I am using an original 3DS on firmware 11.6.0-39U.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can update Luma3DS by downloading the latest version and putting the boot.firm onto the root of your SD card, assuming you have B9S installed.

You can update offline using sysUpdater after downloading the update files. If you go this route, you should make a NAND backup beforehand. sysUpdater has been known to have issues.

It's much easier to update over the internet through the system settings. Is there a reason you won't do that?

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can update Luma3DS by downloading the latest version and putting the boot.firm onto the root of your SD card, assuming you have B9S installed.

You can update offline using sysUpdater after downloading the update files. If you go this route, you should make a NAND backup beforehand. sysUpdater has been known to have issues.

It's much easier to update over the internet through the system settings. Is there a reason you won't do that?

I don't have internet or a hotspot. I only have a phone will data and a SD card reader.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have internet or a hotspot. I only have a phone will data and a SD card reader.
In that case, do the following:
  1. Update Luma3DS to 10.0.1 by putting the boot.firm onto the root of your SD card.
  2. Verify that you're on Luma3DS v10.0.1 by holding Select while powering on the 3DS. It should say the version at the top of the Luma3DS configuration settings.
  3. Download sysUpdater
  4. Download the 11.10 update files
  5. Make a NAND backup with GodMode9
  6. Update to 11.10 using sysUpdater
Is there a reason in particular you want to update to 11.10? It's recommended, but if you aren't having any issues, it's not necessary.

Last edited by Lacius,

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is your phone capable of tethering or providing hot spot WiFi to your 3DS? This is assuming you don't exceed your data cap or have cellphone plan that allows providing WiFi to other devices.
I can't use a hotspot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In that case, do the following:
  1. Update Luma3DS to 10.0.1 by putting the boot.firm onto the root of your SD card.
  2. Verify that you're on Luma3DS v10.0.1 by holding Select while powering on the 3DS. It should say the version at the top of the Luma3DS configuration settings.
  3. Download sysUpdater
  4. Download the 11.10 update files
  5. Make a NAND backup with GodMode9
  6. Update to 11.10 using sysUpdater
Is there a reason, in particular, you want to update to 11.10? It's recommended, but if you aren't having any issues, it's not necessary.
Don't you need it to play new games like Persona Q2? What's the firmware I should update it to if it's necessary?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you need it to play new games like Persona Q2? What's the firmware I should update it to if it's necessary?
If you're using a legitimate cartridge, it will automatically prompt you to update offline if it requires an update (make sure you update Luma3DS first). If you are using a backup, then 11.6 might suffice. If you run into issues, then I'd recommend updating to 11.10 using the steps above.

There aren't any games on 3dsdb that require anything higher than 11.6, but Persona Q2 hasn't been added to the list. Even if a game allegedly requires something higher than 11.6, there's a good chance it will still work with 11.6.

Last edited by Lacius, , Reason: added clarity

Mariosl10

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using a legitimate cartridge, it will automatically prompt you to update offline if it requires an update (make sure you update Luma3DS first). If you are using a backup, then 11.6 might suffice. If you run into issues, then I'd recommend updating to 11.10 using the steps above.

There aren't any games on 3dsdb that require anything higher than 11.6, but Persona Q2 hasn't been added to the list. Even if a game allegedly requires something higher than 11.6, there's a good chance it will still work with 11.6.
Ok, thank you I'll try when I get a chance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!