Homebrew Mame 2003 Plus

BadPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't worry Juan, I ve wasted two weeks! Going crazy trying to understand by myself.. I wiil wait for your answers without hurry. And you are very kind :)

Ok I've just tested bubble bobble 1 and works fine with core B. I have downloaded other roms about this game, like bubble bobble symphony and I think lost cave...they don't work! Is symphony the same of bubble bobble 2 ?

Then I want to play for now to final fight, Cadillac and dinosaurs, all the sunset riders (the first works perfect in one of your cores, don't remember which )

Other doubt are about sega and snes emulators...because I knew that super Nintendo did a port for final fight, but I ve readed that they did a lot of cuts and that the snes wasn't powerful enough to emulate fight, so I just wanted to know if this game is better in arcade emulation, with mame 2003..

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry Juan, I ve wasted two weeks! Going crazy trying to understand by myself.. I wiil wait for your answers without hurry. And you are very kind :)

Ok I've just tested bubble bobble 1 and works fine with core B. I have downloaded other roms about this game, like bubble bobble symphony and I think lost cave...they don't work! Is symphony the same of bubble bobble 2 ?

Then I want to play for now to final fight, Cadillac and dinosaurs, all the sunset riders (the first works perfect in one of your cores, don't remember which )

Other doubt are about sega and snes emulators...because I knew that super Nintendo did a port for final fight, but I ve readed that they did a lot of cuts and that the snes wasn't powerful enough to emulate fight, so I just wanted to know if this game is better in arcade emulation, with mame 2003..

9/10 the original arcade game is usually superior to ports. The SNES Final Fight isnt a bad game, but i reccomend Sega CD if youre a fan of the FF series or B-E-U genre.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Hello @BadPeach

According to my experience, only Bubble Bobble 1 and 2 are playable with Core B. Bubble Bobble 2 I think it's the same as Symphony.
Not sure. Please try both roms for yourself.

In my own eperience I play those capcom and konami games as the following:

Final Fight: CPS1 Core. Download the rom from the CPS1 romset.
Cadillac and Dinosaurs: CPS1 Core. Same as Final Fight, download the rom from the CPS1 romset.
Sunset Riders: I play this one using MAMEWII, not Retroarch. I have never tested this game with retroarch because I'm satisfied with MAMEWII handling this game.

On a side note, this are games that I can play using Retroarch CPS1 core:

• Alien vs Predator
  • Willow
  • Captain Commando
  • Punisher
  • Magic Sword
  • King of Dragons

With the CPS2 core I can play:

• Street Fighter II
  • Street Fighter II TURBO
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom
  • Dungeons and Dragons Shadow over Mystara
  • Megaman Power Battle 1&2
  • Xmen vs Street Fighter | Marvel vs Capcom

As for Konami games... some of them are playable using MAMEWII such as:

• Contra
  • Super Contra
  • Aliens
  • Sunset Riders
  • and some others that I can't remember

BadPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I read this about the Final Fight Sega CD version:

The Mega-CD/Sega CD version, titled Final Fight CD, was ported and published by Sega under license from Capcom in 1993. This version retains nearly all the features of the arcade game that were removed in the two SNES ports (namely the two-player mode, the Industrial Area stage, and the ability to play as any of the three main characters) and adds voice acting to the game's opening and ending sequences, an arranged version of the original soundtrack, and an exclusive time attack mode. However the maximum number of on-screen enemies were still lower than the arcade version and the combo attacks of Cody and Guy are much slower. Furthermore, the graphics suffered from a more limited color palette, as well as fewer background details. Like the SNES version, the Mega-CD version was censored for the English localization with many of the same changes. Poison and Roxy were kept, but were redrawn with less revealing clothing.

Also I saw that there aren't the classical final fight games or C&D ... Anyway I will try just for curiosity ( if you want to suggest me some games that you think worth to play )...i have sega genesis gx; is it good for sega CD ?

So for play at best the arcade final fight and Cadillac, I need fba alpha core or mame 2003(that I already have) ?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I read this about the Final Fight Sega CD version:

The Mega-CD/Sega CD version, titled Final Fight CD, was ported and published by Sega under license from Capcom in 1993. This version retains nearly all the features of the arcade game that were removed in the two SNES ports (namely the two-player mode, the Industrial Area stage, and the ability to play as any of the three main characters) and adds voice acting to the game's opening and ending sequences, an arranged version of the original soundtrack, and an exclusive time attack mode. However the maximum number of on-screen enemies were still lower than the arcade version and the combo attacks of Cody and Guy are much slower. Furthermore, the graphics suffered from a more limited color palette, as well as fewer background details. Like the SNES version, the Mega-CD version was censored for the English localization with many of the same changes. Poison and Roxy were kept, but were redrawn with less revealing clothing.

Also I saw that there aren't the classical final fight games or C&D ... Anyway I will try just for curiosity ( if you want to suggest me some games that you think worth to play )...i have sega genesis gx; is it good for sega CD ?

So for play at best the arcade final fight and Cadillac, I need fba alpha core or mame 2003(that I already have) ?
No... the game file weights over 400MB in space. So no...

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is a hint @BadPeach

If you ever want to play arcade CAPCOM games, you better stick with the CPS1, CPS2 and CPS3 cores.
I've found through personal experience that some CAPCOM games that aren't that big of a deal (GunSmoke, Black Tiger, etc) are better played in MAME2000.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here are some screenshots showing you what kind of games you can load using different cores @BadPeach

MAMEWII.PNG

MAME 2000.PNG

CPS1.PNG

CPS2.PNG

CPS3.PNG

NEO GEO Core.PNG

Core A.PNG

Core B.PNG

Core C.PNG

Core D.PNG

Core E.PNG

Core F.PNG

Core G.PNG

For some reason, Core H won't work for me... and I'm too lazy to find out which roms works and which doesn't.

Hope these screenshots helps you to get the idea behind CAPCOM games and CPS cores!

Last edited by JuanMena,

SoulSpawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi verybody, I recently compiled a version of core H. Thanks to @Wiimpathy, without is guidance I'd never would have been able to do it!!
This core works for old Capcom games and CPS1 games, but I can't launch games via wiiflow (which is my real goal). I'ts based on RA 1.7.3. I tried newer and older versions but worked even worst.
Also Street Fighter games are not totally fluid, like in Guile or ChunLi stages.

If anyone wants to test it, please feel free!

Attachments

• MAME2003Plus_H.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 136

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi verybody, I recently compiled a version of core H. Thanks to @Wiimpathy, without is guidance I'd never would have been able to do it!!
This core works for old Capcom games and CPS1 games, but I can't launch games via wiiflow (which is my real goal). I'ts based on RA 1.7.3. I tried newer and older versions but worked even worst.
Also Street Fighter games are not totally fluid, like in Guile or ChunLi stages.

The Core CPS1 along CPS2 can handle all street fighter and most Capcom games flawlessly.
Just saying.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Thanks, but please share the source or at least the modified files, it could be useful to others too.

SoulSpawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you want to play the Best version of the game? Play the Sega CD version!!!

That version is awesome! you know you can play that version on genplus with iso+ogg for audio files and it's only 77Mb right?
Incredible music but I still prefer arcade playability from the original.

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Mame 2003 Plus 0.4

The cores in the archive are updated to Retroarch 1.7.6. You have 2 choices:

* Cores based on the most recent mame2003+ code from february 2019. In /apps/retroarch-wii.
* Cores based on march 2018. In Alt_dols folder.

It might work better on 1 core version or the other... Just test them...

With an usb drive attached some games may have slowdowns(?!). It's very likely the last update here.

Source code

You know, when I load a game via retroarch, say Core B games, it runs OK. Then I do the same in wiiflow, but I get with some games, blackscreen.Do you know why this happens?

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, we already discussed this issue with fledge too and we don't know how to fix this. It should only happen with games eating most Ram and corrupting memory.

In short, I don't know.

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
My guess is something different.
In core B games for instance, Kingdom grand Prix loads fine loading the dol independently. That game is a Shoot em up and therefore video resolution is different than other games from that Core.

Could it be that wiiflow has issues with video resolution? I guess this because wiimote still turned on, but as i told, with black screen. If the issue relays on ram consuming it should gave me a DSI ERROR, am i right?

Perhaps there is a line or argument which has to be added to the command line which wiiflow reads to load the game specifically for mame cores which could fix this issue.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Last edited by kokokool,

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're right that generally you'll have a code dump. But believe me, you could have all kind of errors when Ram is failing. I've played a lot with dol loading and Ram thanks to the neo vm core. You can have a frozen green screen, a game starting and no input, no audio, no more usb access etc... Sometimes the memory is overwritten where it shouldn't giving weird results.

But, you may be right, it's something else. I have doubts about this video explanation though. It happens in some konami games with different resolutions...

One useful test would be to launch the problematic games with HBC and look at how much Ram is used. You can see this info in Retroarch menu. This way, we could maybe rule out or confirm the ram hypothesis.

I wish it could be as simple as changing 1 line in a setting file.:lol: But who knows?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...