ROM Hack Making an OoT3d Randomizer, Need Advice

Deleted member 489645

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi all.
I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I'm thinking of making a randomizer for OoT3d, so I came to this forum to look for similar 3ds rom hacks to see how it's done; however, I can only find translations, and texture and music swaps, which is not what I want. I found out how to dump a ".cia" from my game cartridge using GM9 and mount it using ninfs, but that's about it. I read somewhere I needed to know assembly to make changes to a ROM's code, so I need to learn ARM assembly in this case, right? I also looked into NTR plugins, but I think that only manipulates the RAM, which will not help in making a randomizer(?)

Basically, I'm a complete newbie who wants to do something but does not know how and where to start. Can someone give me pointers? I know this won't be easy.

BTW, a randomizer is when the item locations are randomized based on a seed and logic, so the chest that normally contains the Kokiri Sword might contain bombs, 5 rupees, or Saria's song, etc.
Typically, the user provides the ROM to a computer program, which provides a modified, randomized ROM for the user to play on.
Since this is my first time doing something, I do not mind sacrificing things such as logic temporarily while I learn the ropes.

I appreciate your help.

22/05/2019
EDIT: So, I've been searching a bit more, and I found Pocable's OoT3d "Randomizer," (search it on GBATEMP, I don't think I'm allowed to link) which is really a "BetaQuest" where the entrances are randomized. I think the program just changes the names of the files in the "scene" folder with other files randomly. Maybe a similar thing can be done for an item randomizer?

Anyway, I think for now I need to learn a normal programming language to make a GUI for users to use the program and other stuff.
Then, figure out what all the files correspond to from the extracted ".cia"
Then, find out what I need to do to make a randomizer, if it doesn't require assembly then I might be able to do it; otherwise, I would need to learn ARM assembly.

If you have any tips please tell me and thanks.

Last edited by Deleted member 489645,
Reactions: luckyboy66666666

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Megatron "Prime why throw away your life!" Prime "How do I think I got these gold rims!!!"
    Autobots roll some blunts and smoke out!
    Channel 69 news "Last night someone stole several cars and a semi truck loaded with drugs from the police impound lot!"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i'mma @ juan in the joke thread and say "hey juan i call your mom dwayne the way she rock my johnson"
    Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Is GBAtemp being a sluggish turd for anyone else today, or just me..?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, No, works fine.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope your weekend's great. :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    My friend found this the other day. Courtesy of @Kaoid
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Sylveon popping out of a DS lite.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    pretty decent considering
    +1
    just under 2 weeks orso before the new harddrive arrives
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, How's that hard drive recovery project going?
    which one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, You mentioned that you have a new hard drive coming.
    yeh in 2 weeks orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Do you have a NAS storage?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    illmatic
    39 TB server
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Jeezus. 39TB sounds like a significant investment of time.
    meh, more of a I need to add bigger drives all the time
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: meh, more of a I need to add bigger drives all the time