i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gym means naked, but I seldom see people working out in the nude.

Clothing traps in oils and leads to acne. It also impairs your body's ability to naturally cool itself.

Let's start a revolution.

Post below if you are committed to the movement.

Reactions: VinsCool

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The gym was never great though. They are among the most boring places I have ever been in and I have been there for nursing home bingo. If my daily life is not providing me with enough exercise I would infinitely rather be out in the world getting it than being bored on a piece of exercise equipment.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gym was never great though. They are among the most boring places I have ever been in and I have been there for nursing home bingo. If my daily life is not providing me with enough exercise I would infinitely rather be out in the world getting it than being bored on a piece of exercise equipment.
I used to be with you on that 100%

Then I started going to the gym at my apartment every day - and I realized something. The act of increasing the weight you can push is like a fun game with achievements. And watching your muscles get bigger is not a bad reward. It makes looking in the mirror fun too :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used to be with you on that 100%

Then I started going to the gym at my apartment every day - and I realized something. The act of increasing the weight you can push is like a fun game with achievements. And watching your muscles get bigger is not a bad reward. It makes looking in the mirror fun too :P
I also dislike trophments and consider them one of the greater negatives in modern gaming.

As for weights that seems impractical. I know some people that coach in gyms and they see things like people thinking they will run a marathon having just gone on a treadmill, or equivalent with exercise bikes and pushbike racing, or rowing). I would rather just wander around with a heavy bag, push a wheelbarrow or similar.

JayMathis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to the gym every single day from like mid January to mid March, then I went last Wednesday and it was closed. It sucked because I was reallly progresssing with weights and cardio. But I have been doing 100 pushups and 100 exercise ball wall squats 3x a week. It's not quite the same, but it's something.

Reactions: x65943

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was going to the gym every single day from like mid January to mid March, then I went last Wednesday and it was closed. It sucked because I was reallly progresssing with weights and cardio. But I have been doing 100 pushups and 100 exercise ball wall squats 3x a week. It's not quite the same, but it's something.
You shouldn't do the same exercises over and over. Your muscles will get used to lift the same weight, and in return they won't grow because you're not stressing them enough.
That's why series exists, and you should probably exercise one part ot your body at a time.
One day you'll exercise arms, one day legs, one day chest, etc.

Gotta get creative or you won't see the results you want.

JayMathis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't do the same exercises over and over. Your muscles will get used to lift the same weight, and in return they won't grow because you're not stressing them enough.
That's why series exists, and you should probably exercise one part ot your body at a time.
One day you'll exercise arms, one day legs, one day chest, etc.

Gotta get creative or you won't see the results you want.

Are you talking about the pushups and squats? I don't have a choice I dont have any exercise equipment. At the gym I was not doing the same thing and I always add 5 lbs to every workout every time I go and over time it really adds up. I was doing heavy squats 3x a week though I believe it's sort of a hack that people don't realize you get most testosterone and hgh from squats and your legs can definitely handle 3x a week more than any other body part because they are your biggest muscles. I have gotten some significant gains.

Last edited by JayMathis,

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are you talking about the pushups and squats? I don't have a choice I dont have any exercise equipment. At the gym I was not doing the same thing and I always add 5 lbs to every workout every time I go and over time it really adds up. I was doing heavy squats 3x a week though I believe it's sort of a hack that people don't realize you get most testosterone and hgh from squats and your legs can definitely handle 3x a week more than any other body part because they are your biggest muscles. I have gotten some significant gains.
I gained a lot of musculature with Banana + Peanut butter Milkshake ánd eating Rice, Eggs and Beans everyday.
Gaining muscle doesn't mean you're gaining strenght. You're probably gaining stamina. Please don't mind me, as every body is different and they react differently with different exercises.

I too don't have equipments to work out, I'm using 4 gallon Paint kegs filled with water and sand and I use them as weights (they weight over 28 kilos each) so there's something you can do to exercise at home.

I agree that squats are the best exercises, but my main focus was my arms when I was very active with my physical exercise. I loved the feeling of going at school and seeing girls looking at me LOL
Quite proud of it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming I have not been ninjaed your muscles only grow when stressed. There are all sorts of patterns people go in for here depending upon what you do, what your aims are (strength or endurance/distance sort of thing) and where you live (Russia and Eastern Europe often favouring some more, plateau and then less, presumably as a type of recovery, and then quite a bit more, which has some interesting results over simple sets, rest, increase). However if you do the same thing your muscles adjust to what is the new baseline and then nothing much happens.

More generally what is the obsession with equipment (or worse modern "safe" equipment that you have to lose out on the "the world provides a bigger idiot" race to hurt yourself on)?

If you want weight get a bag, put something heavy in it (I hear rocks are available almost everywhere, if not bottles of water add up quick), make sure you lift it properly and go from there. If you have even the vaguest collection of materials you can also take advantage (or indeed have the advantage not favour you) with some levers.

Assuming you have a pushbike you can take off the back wheel and put it on a stand easily enough if you have anything like the tools to fix it in the first place.

Treadmills is obvious and it is usually not so hard to find a set of stairs somewhere if you are more the stair machine type. Hopefully you are not in a flat under lockdown.

Assuming you don't live in a complete hole you can usually do a pullup on a doorframe (might be finger pullups though) and or jam your feet under something for a sit up type thing.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Assuming I have not been ninjaed your muscles only grow when stressed. There are all sorts of patterns people go in for here depending upon what you do, what your aims are (strength or endurance/distance sort of thing) and where you live (Russia and Eastern Europe often favouring some more, plateau and then less, presumably as a type of recovery, and then quite a bit more, which has some interesting results over simple sets, rest, increase). However if you do the same thing your muscles adjust to what is the new baseline and then nothing much happens.

More generally what is the obsession with equipment (or worse modern "safe" equipment that you have to lose out on the "the world provides a bigger idiot" race to hurt yourself on)?

If you want weight get a bag, put something heavy in it (I hear rocks are available almost everywhere, if not bottles of water add up quick), make sure you lift it properly and go from there. If you have even the vaguest collection of materials you can also take advantage (or indeed have the advantage not favour you) with some levers.

Assuming you have a pushbike you can take off the back wheel and put it on a stand easily enough if you have anything like the tools to fix it in the first place.

Treadmills is obvious and it is usually not so hard to find a set of stairs somewhere if you are more the stair machine type. Hopefully you are not in a flat under lockdown.

Assuming you don't live in a complete hole you can usually do a pullup on a doorframe (might be finger pullups though) and or jam your feet under something for a sit up type thing.

I really, really like when you share your knowledge.
Indeed, I was telling him that he should change his routine.

Funny story: I was using some strenght bands to get bigger biceps, and I accidentally punched myself on my face because they broke when I stressed them.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Actually, synthetic sportswear was invented specifically to help sweat out quickly...in case you didn't know.
1984.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.