Majora's Mask 3D: modder restoring functionality, more fixes to come

Majoras_Mask_Thumbnail.jpg

Despite Majora's Mask having hugely updated visuals, upgraded framerate, and being made portable with a sparkly 3DS port, many critics have bemoaned a number of negative changes this updated version brought, specifically when it comes to the Zora swimming, the Deku Scrub's motion easing, and the railroaded boss mechanics. Well, a modder known as leoetlino has recently produced two sets of codes which rectify the sluggish Zora swimming as well as the tedious motion easing of the Deku Scrub.

What this means is that players will now be able to swim around the Great Bay at top speed without using a lick of magic, with the R-button now serving to deploy the magic shield (which will still use magic as it should). While the slow swimming has been removed entirely at this junction, leoetlino intends to create a version that allows the player to toggle freely between the two swimming speeds in-game, something the original release didn't support.

EUR/USA 1.0
To use the patch on console, copy the following code and write it to /luma/titles/{TITLE_ID}/cheats.txt:

Code:
[Original Zora Fast Swim (v1.0)]
00220F60 E3A00001
002210DC E3A00001
001FFDBC E3A00001
202210FD 00000000
201FFCB1 00000000
00220F00 EA000009

• Replace {TITLE_ID} with 0004000000125500 for the USA version or 0004000000125600 for the EUR version.
  • If the file already exists, don't create a new file. Instead, add these lines at the end of the file.
For Citra, just start MM3D and then select Emulation > Cheats to add the code.

EUR/USA 1.1
Follow the instructions above, but use the following code instead:

Code:
[Original Zora Fast Swim (v1.1)]
00220F50 E3A00001
002210CC E3A00001
001FFDA8 E3A00001
202210ED 00000000
201FFCA1 00000000
00220EF0 EA000009

The second set of codes then serve to fix the windup easing on all of the Deku Scrub's movements, allowing players to hop at full speed across lily pads with ease, as well as providing tighter control in general. Despite the inherent input lag of the original release, Deku Scrub movement still felt better than the 3DS port because of this issue, and now it's been eliminated.

EUR/USA 1.0
To use the patch on console, copy the following code and write it to /luma/titles/{TITLE_ID}/cheats.txt:

Code:
[Original Deku Link Walk Acceleration (v1.0)]
107aea60 000000C8

• Replace {TITLE_ID} with 0004000000125500 for the USA version or 0004000000125600 for the EUR version.
  • If the file already exists, don't create a new file. Instead, add these lines at the end of the file.
For Citra, just start MM3D and then select Emulation > Cheats to add the code.

EUR/USA 1.1
Follow the instructions above, but use the following code instead:

Code:
[Original Deku Link Walk Acceleration (v1.1)]
107afa60 000000C8

The patch should work on any 3DS console that can run homebrew and on the Citra emulator. If it doesn't, please let me know and I'll gladly investigate.

Enjoy!

Already having done so much, Leo states that he intends to create codes which allow the ice arrows to form plates of ice anywhere in the water (something that was present in the original, but not the remake), as well as let the three transformation masks be equipped via the D-pad so as not to take up item slots.

:arrow:Zora Swimming Code
:arrow:Deku Scrub Code

D

Deleted User

how is it that i was just looking at videos of people comparing the n64 and 3ds version and me looking for a patch a couple of days ago. and then someone makes it days after.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The Zora thing was changed for a reason, though. Most Zora swimming you do is through tight corridors, so it really doesn't make sense for it to be as fast as it was in the original.
The modder will release a feature allowing you to toggle between both swimmings so you'll have the best of everything.
It does make sense tho because in the sea it's just funnier while the change makes sense only in the dungeons

Reactions: Spadezilla

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Played both the N64 and 3DS versions.
Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time and the only change I didn't like in MM3D are the easier bosses.
Swimming is fine.

Reactions: Spadezilla
D

Deleted User

These differences are things you would only notice if you played the original, I am guessing. Still cool someone did this. Would these codes work on Citra? Edit: I am dumb

Last edited by ,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huzzah! Always put me off a bit when playing, these things. Broke the flow. Now's the Time to fix and stream I suppose. Wonder what's next.

These differences are things you would only notice if you played the original, I am guessing. Still cool someone did this. Would these codes work on Citra? Edit: I am dumb
Aye, and there were related differences between the western release and the original Japanese release of the n64 original as well. Especially in regards to the zora shield ability. Usually these kinds of fixes are just Quality of Life fixes, but they made some larger changes with Majora's Mask. I'm sure there are videos on the differences.

Last edited by osaka35,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who are unfamiliar with the game, this video explains the questionable changes in the 3DS remake.

Fun story: A co-worker of mine was getting this version of the game for her 3DS, and I told her how the remake "simplified" things, and she acted like that's not a bad thing! I was going all "lolwut?" in my head at that one!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo