ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok i have a laptop but its done the hard drive has lived a long life but I think its done, but I need to back it up before I reinstall XP on, but once I turn on the laptop it stays on the dos like screen right before it start to load the OP system with that white blanking cursor. How can I back up if I can't get on it. Someone please help.....please. This was my moms old laptop and since my Dad didn't back it up once they 1st gave it to me im gonna suffer if I can't get her shit off there. Please help me in any way.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
You could take the hard drive out and get this adaptor http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.727 and connect it to your main desktop then download Hirens boot cd http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd from Bittorrent and use the hard drive recovery tools. But there is no guarantee you can recover any data if it has died. Do you get a "Invalid boot device/No boot device found/No boot device available" message when you boot up?

Kyusuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You'll need the adapter as means of connecting the hard drive to your main desktop so you can use the program mentioned to recover the data. Although there may be the case where you can still read the data when you have it plugged in.

Just a random thought, but you could try using the Knoppix LiveCD (A Linux distribution) as it can be used to read hard drives despite whether Windows is corrupt. It's free and if your hard drive can still be read, you can just network your laptop to your main computer to back up the data.

comtois

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just had the same thing happen to me. tried every one of the recovery tools on hiren's and i have to say that GetDataBack is the best recovery tool i have ever used.

Cheater388

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, since you know that your laptop is taking it's last breath, get another computer; Buy a new one if you don't have one yet. You need a hard drive to back up the old hard drive. You can even get a portable hard drive bigger than your old one and use a friend's conputer.

You need to take the hard drive out of your laptop and you need to put it into a 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure. It doesn't matter if it's enclosed or not, it just needs to be connected to the computer.

Using any OS, with any program, you need to back that hard drive up. Either take the files or take the image of that hard drive (think of how CD's are put on hard drives in .ISO format).

Reload that image onto another hard drive or take that image apart or whatever, it doesn't matter. You have the image of your old, dieing hard drive.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks for everyones help. I will try all your solutions until one works and cheater388, I would get a new laptop but i don't have the money. My parents said they help me with the prices but the keyword is HELP. If anyone knows where to get some good priced laptop then pm me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I had one it was fun lol