Major Laptop issues

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JinTrigger, Jul 22, 2008.

Jul 22, 2008

Major Laptop issues by JinTrigger at 3:09 PM (1,271 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Ok i have a laptop but its done the hard drive has lived a long life but I think its done, but I need to back it up before I reinstall XP on, but once I turn on the laptop it stays on the dos like screen right before it start to load the OP system with that white blanking cursor. How can I back up if I can't get on it. Someone please help.....please. This was my moms old laptop and since my Dad didn't back it up once they 1st gave it to me im gonna suffer if I can't get her shit off there. Please help me in any way.

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    You could take the hard drive out and get this adaptor http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.727 and connect it to your main desktop then download Hirens boot cd http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd from Bittorrent and use the hard drive recovery tools. But there is no guarantee you can recover any data if it has died. Do you get a "Invalid boot device/No boot device found/No boot device available" message when you boot up?

3. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    nope i don't get any message

edit-do i need them both or just the torrent

4. Kyusuke

Newcomer Kyusuke Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    You'll need the adapter as means of connecting the hard drive to your main desktop so you can use the program mentioned to recover the data. Although there may be the case where you can still read the data when you have it plugged in.

Just a random thought, but you could try using the Knoppix LiveCD (A Linux distribution) as it can be used to read hard drives despite whether Windows is corrupt. It's free and if your hard drive can still be read, you can just network your laptop to your main computer to back up the data.

5. comtois

Newcomer comtois Advanced Member

United States
    just had the same thing happen to me. tried every one of the recovery tools on hiren's and i have to say that GetDataBack is the best recovery tool i have ever used.

6. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Uhh, try holding down random buttons for a few secs (e.g. Esc, F1). I think one time my old PC did this

7. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I second the Knoppix Suggestion, assuming of course you have a home network and know how to share a directory(folder).

8. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    download the windows xp live cd (google it)
    or
    y dont u use safe mode and back up the files from there?

9. Cheater388

Newcomer Cheater388 Advanced Member

United States
    Ok, since you know that your laptop is taking it's last breath, get another computer; Buy a new one if you don't have one yet. You need a hard drive to back up the old hard drive. You can even get a portable hard drive bigger than your old one and use a friend's conputer.

You need to take the hard drive out of your laptop and you need to put it into a 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure. It doesn't matter if it's enclosed or not, it just needs to be connected to the computer.

Using any OS, with any program, you need to back that hard drive up. Either take the files or take the image of that hard drive (think of how CD's are put on hard drives in .ISO format).

Reload that image onto another hard drive or take that image apart or whatever, it doesn't matter. You have the image of your old, dieing hard drive.

10. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    thanks for everyones help. I will try all your solutions until one works and cheater388, I would get a new laptop but i don't have the money. My parents said they help me with the prices but the keyword is HELP. If anyone knows where to get some good priced laptop then pm me.

11. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    um i got the windows live cd (bartpe) and i dont see a cursor for my mouse. Whats up with dat

12. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    unplug the mouse and then restart the laptop with the windows live cd in after some seconds plug the mouse back