Hacking M3 to R4

DblackS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi guys, this is the 1st time I am posting on this forum. I was hopping fro some help. I am using an M3 hardware on my DSLite and recently I had some trouble with it. So I am thinking of switching to R4 but the question is can I just plug my microSD card straight into the R4 without formatting it? Hope you guys can help.

siefer999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no, but just need to copy the r4 system files to your microsd overwriting the m3simply ones and you will be good to go

DblackS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Thank you for the prompt reply. But I don't know what it means by system file cause when I access the SD card all i see are the various file but no system file. So how do I see the system file?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wtf.gif
Don't you have to solder a part in your M3Simply/R4DS to change it to the counterpart?

~Nero

Lost Racer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the first couple batches of R4's you were able to change the language or convert it to an M3 by some solder connections. They've since redone the design to prevent it. I'm not sure if anyone has found a way to do it again though.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so, Nero. :<

What makes you think so? I'm 100% sure the 1st gen R4/M3Simply needs soldering to convert itself.

~Nero

You are absolutely correct, but there is a bat program out there that can make the firmware's compatible with each other. I really don't see the point of just switching firmware though, unless you want to get the updates 3 days earlier. Maybe he's talking about buying an R4 instead? Which is also pointless because my M3DSS works perfectly, it hasn't had any of the problems anyone mentions with the R4/M3DSS except for the occasional dirty contacts.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
The soldering is if you want to use M3 firmware on the R4 or vice versa. If you buy a new R4 and do not want to use the m3 with the same sd card you can just delete the old m3 firmware and install the R4 firmware.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Soldering was required to convert a M3 Simply to an R4DS unit. This changed the "brand" internally so that it would accept the other firmware. Newer versions of the M3 Simply and the R4DS prevent that so it doesn't work anymore.

The firmware file hack to change the language is purely in software though. This was for those that got a Chinese R4DS and needed to change the language strings from Chinese to English.

There is no software level hack to convert M3 Simply to an R4DS.

This information had been posted on the R4DS forums before it went down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, @salazarcosplay hi