Hacking M3 Lite: SDHC support for Games?

khan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
I have an M3 Lite which I only use for GBA games atm, and I was wondering if M3 Team ever enabled use of microSDHC for games? I know that it will accept it for multimedia purposes only.

Thanks in advance.

Rymel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure if that's a hardware or software limitation, pretty sure it's a hardware limitation. i think they'd have to release a new slot-2 cart to use that. i know that bootleggers will hop from one trend to the next and just abandon previous projects, but i really hope M3 or any other decent slot-2 company would make one final, ultimate slot-2 cart with sdhc, real-time clock, rumble, ram cart and media capabilities. i realize it's an awful lot, but why can't the ram functions be relegated to the sd card? a slot-2 card that's designed to work in sync with a slot-1 card would be even better if it's a hardware issue, cuz then you could just patch the web browser to force it to use the card for memory usage. but i don't know enough about it to do more than just dream...

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
they do have a flash that does control the storage space, its called Compact Flash. Removing those types of hardware controls allows for the smaller size of the microSD to be possible. There is another thing called standard specs. All hardware makers agree to make a device a certain way to recieve a compliancy stamp, in this case a microSD stamp on thier product.

If there was no compliance for this type of thing, you would need drivers for every piece of hardware in your computer including your cpu and ram, etc. Thats why we had drivers for every internal flash cart that fits in the slot 2 and all GBAs.

@khan
The controller chips for microSDHC is bigger than the slot 2 case will allow. It would require a complete redesign.

Rob_Threat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
@khan
The controller chips for microSDHC is bigger than the slot 2 case will allow. It would require a complete redesign.

Huh? The entire M3 Slot2 SD line is SDHC compatible... but not for games. Sadly, MoonShell won't run either. Oh, and the GBA side won't even boot with a SDHC card.

Who wants GBs & GBs of GBalpha's DS MagicBox videos. :-)

I'm guessing it won't be developed further, but you never know. I'm glad GBalpha still releases a new G6 & M3 GameManager every few months.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1