Hacking Lost everything. Formatted Wii U to fix boot issue. Backed everything up, but...

AlanWeird

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So. I followed a guide to fix a problem my Wii U has suffered from since the 5.0 Mk8 update.

Basically, when you turn it on, no video would display, and the gamepad wouldn't connect. You hard reset it, and all is fine. It boots up and works as expected.

So I found steps on here, and they appear to have worked. I formatted the console, after moving everything onto my hard drive. My Console is 5.3.2 spoofed to 5.5.1.

I should have removed the hard drive. I jumped down and unplugged it as it began its process, but the damage seems to have been done. Everything booted up, relinked my NNID, and whatnot, but going into memory management, it doesn't detect the hdd anymore, and I'm betting it wants me to format it.

Long story short, is there any pc software I can use to try to get my saves off there at least? I don't know if the drive was formatted, or how much damage was done, but worst case scenario is that I have to just redownload my games, accept my saves are gone, and move on.

AlanWeird

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh. To confirm, My system is still 5.5.1 spoofed after doing that. There were no nags about updating, and I still have the Tvii Icon, so still 5.3.2.

And the problem of booting seems to have been eradicated on testing. I'll know when I go back to it after a longer period.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nope, you're screwed.

Blame nintendo for putting encryption on savegames

Ah well. I'm now shopping for a 128gb usb to boost my Wii U with, instead of using this rickety old hdd.

Lesson learned. Losing my Hyrule warriors data sucks hardest though...

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Ah well. I'm now shopping for a 128gb usb to boost my Wii U with, instead of using this rickety old hdd.

I feel your pain, you always can backup your saves on a second device, they are small size anyway

KingOfTaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. To confirm, My system is still 5.5.1 spoofed after doing that. There were no nags about updating, and I still have the Tvii Icon, so still 5.3.2.

And the problem of booting seems to have been eradicated on testing. I'll know when I go back to it after a longer period.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I use this its really badass

Alternatively if you're feeling cheeky, you can use this

Last edited by KingOfTaurus,

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I feel your pain, you always can backup your saves on a second device, they are small size anyway

but the backup doesnt makes any sense if you reset your console to factory settings -> then you will loose also the encryption key for your backup and its also lost :)

there is no normal way to backup saves for a factory reset

but you can use saviine for backup/restore if you can use a kernel exploit :)

Last edited by FunThomas,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
nope, you're screwed.

Blame nintendo for putting encryption on savegames
No, blame the people that hack saves to cheat in games online. I have no problem with people doing that for single player games, or hacking saves to make the game better, but because of people doing it on games with competitive online features, every major console maker has had to implement strong encryption on those saves. It would be nice if they didn't encrypt saves for single player only games, but that probably won't ever happen.

Reactions: JAWS_XS

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it would be best to store the saves for online games also server-sided that no one can cheat stats

but its a shame if you have problems with your console and have to do a factory reset you will loose all eshop downloads and savegames -> thats a pretty bad solution

nintendo cant give you some help at this point only you can download your eshop games again from the internet but your saves are lost

thats an answer a customer wants to hear ;-)

Last edited by FunThomas,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
it would be best to store the saves for online games also server-sided that no one can cheat stats

but its a shame if you have problems with your console and have to do a factory reset you will loose all eshop downloads and savegames -> thats a pretty bad solution

nintendo cant give you some help at this point only you can download your eshop games again from the internet but your saves are lost

thats an answer a customer wants to hear ;-)
Microsoft saves the saves on their cloud. I don't know about Sony.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative