Hacking Looking for someone to "pick up the pieces" of my DS.

leviNELS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man what was I thinking?

I thought that I had enough "know how" to replace my DS case with a custom one (the reason I needed a new case is my "hinge" broke). But oh man, I was not prepared for the crap storm that was thrown my way (Hyperbole? Maybe... but man I was not prepared).

I thought while I replaced the case I would replace my touch screen, yeah it sounded like a perfect idea at the time. Well no, no it wasn't. Apparently I have apparently no hand dexterity. While I was trying to replace my touch screen I broke off the little plastic "flap" where the tiny ribbon cable plugs into the mainboard. "Crap" I say (not the exact language), what to do now? I tried different ways to hold it in place, but with my limited dexterity I did not want to worsen the situation.

So, I am looking for someone to pick up my pieces and somehow replace that "flap". It is half way through the "new" case install and I have no idea if I have done it correctly, but I am sure I haven't caused any permanent complications. So if someone wants to take up my charge, please do. I will pay you what you think is fair.

To summarize the DS was fine before I took it apart. It is in perfect working order, I just need someone with some "know how" to put it together. I will ship every part for both case, once the DS is in working order... you can keep the extra pieces (I know... awesome bonus!). You know that bonus plus cash money.

Not sure if this is the correct place (if not can you direct me to a good place?), but damnit I'm desperate.

Thanks to all that respond, or looks at it.

Levi

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I take it that as you have a little plastic flap, that the unit was a DS lite?!

There are a lot of units being sold with this bit broken, easiest option is a replacement board $50 ish dollars!

I have heard of someone buying a broken board and swapping over the black flap - I tried and failed - ended up with 2 broken flaps.

Sell the faulty unit on ebay and put the money towards a replacement - this may be the cheaper option.

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
I also had that " flap " break on my old dslite , i used blue tack (sticky tack ) to hold it in place!

How?

Well basically put the ribbon cable in place and placed a dod of tack onto it and pressed quite firmly, then tested it without pitting the ds back together to make sure the cable was making perfect contact.

After that i put more tack on top of and put the ds back together, the trick is to put more than needed so it is constantly pushing down on the cable.

This works perfectly but the problem is long term as the user tends to press down on the corner where the tack is and over time doesn't push down hard on the cable and starts to stop working again.

Still worked for me and only had to redo the above steps a couple of times in 6 months!

paul

leviNELS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting paul,

You say you still have to go in and "redo" it from time to time? Doesn't that get annoying pretty fast? Man if only there was a more permanent solution.

hanfhase

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
thats bad but for everything there is anyone how can fix it. Try to make a pic of the ds in pieces i will try to make a plan for you
yaynds.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i was lucky to have TWO motherboards, when i ordered my first touch screen.

With first one, i learned how fragile the flap is, this motherboard was from hinge-broken, and topscreen broken DS that i got from nabour to do BIOS swap trick on friend's DS lite i Semi-Bricked, old and not too long story, anyway, even you'd say "You could've FIXED THAT" - yes, i could, but did no need, and thus learned about the flap and how fragile it is, better.

On next one, my real own (semi) working DS lite, i learned to be careful, i use some short of semi-sharp tool to carefully open the flap, thus i have succeeded in FOUR ouch screen replacements.

For you, OP, i am afraid to say: Get a new DS - Sorryyy (or TRY something, like what Paul said)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...