Hacking Looking for help to Setup Gateway + any firmware that allows for GBA VC

gogas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I have an old 3DS which is running on the latest Gateway firmware and 8.x OFW but now I was interested in installing some GBA VC tittles but from what i understand i need to be running on a different CFW like Pasta CFW for example.
So now I'm looking into setting up my 3DS to be able to almost dual boot between the gateway and whatever CFW i chose. Is it possible? And if so what do I need? What CFW should I pick?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA Emulator only runs on Pasta currently for firmware above 4.5. You could go Palentine and downgrade your O3DS, but I'd recommend Pasta so you don't have to deal with save encryption issues. Pasta also uses sysNAND, not emuNAND and also uses Cubic Ninja to boot up the CFW, so you could use both since you're on O3DS.

Keep in mind, I just did some reading up on this last night and am going off of the little research I did, so any part of what I say could be incorrect. Once I saw Pasta requires CN to boot I opted out because my N3DS uses that for booting the GW menu and don't want to deal with changing my CN save all the time just for GBA games on my O3DS. That's what my DSTwo is for :)

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA Emulator only runs on Pasta currently for firmware above 4.5. You could go Palentine and downgrade your O3DS, but I'd recommend Pasta so you don't have to deal with save encryption issues. Pasta also uses sysNAND, not emuNAND and also uses Cubic Ninja to boot up the CFW, so you could use both since you're on O3DS.

Keep in mind, I just did some reading up on this last night and am going off of the little research I did, so any part of what I say could be incorrect. Once I saw Pasta requires CN to boot I opted out because my N3DS uses that for booting the GW menu and don't want to deal with changing my CN save all the time just for GBA games on my O3DS. That's what my DSTwo is for :)
  1. You do know you can set up MSET on N3DS now, right?
  2. GBA works on RxTools (and probably some other CFW, but why use Palentine nowadays?), however since there's currently nothing that redirects GBA/TWL (that I know of) you have to install it in SysNAND no matter what. If you use an RxTools EmuNAND you can install it in both and access it easily, however.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. You do know you can set up MSET on N3DS now, right?
  2. GBA works on RxTools (and probably some other CFW, but why use Palentine nowadays?), however since there's currently nothing that redirects GBA/TWL (that I know of) you have to install it in SysNAND no matter what. If you use an RxTools EmuNAND you can install it in both and access it easily, however.

Yeah, I'd rather have MSET on my O3DS without a downgrade since it's kind of my testing system/playground. I want to keep my N3DS sysNAND clean. But that's great about rxTools, I'll have to start using that instead on my O3DS. I went through the process of installing the AGB title ID through FBI, and that's when I found it didn't work in GW mode and started my research. I'll give it a try tonight!

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plus side of having a GW/rxTools dual-boot setup: rxTools is a better replacement for Classic Mode. No worries about having to reinstall DLC CIAs when you want to play your retail carts.

I'd also look into installing Sudokuhax over your DS Connection Settings so you can run DSiWare (also usable in rxTools) and then reinstall the MSET exploit (look up 6.x MSET downgrade) without having to have the GW blue card on hand.

Just a heads up, the more that you learn about rxTools, the more likely that you will use that instead of GW mode. If you go down that route, here's the way I make optimal use of both. Any game that I will play frequently (SSB4, Fantasy Life, MK7) I install to emuNAND as a CIA, which can be launched via either GW mode or rxTools. Games that I'm trying out or playing only a single playthrough of get put on the GW red card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1