looking for a good hard drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fst312, Apr 23, 2009.

Apr 23, 2009

looking for a good hard drive by fst312 at 6:33 PM (1,314 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. fst312
    OP

Member fst312 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i'm starting to understand why people still use dvds even when they are using the usb loader because hard drives could sometimes die out with in a year.i almost won a western digital 1TB external hard drive on ebay and canceled my bid on the last minute when i read these cons.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...1&Keywords=

i want to buy a hard drive that lasts more than a year.so can someone tell me a good one that i can buy.

2. Nera

Newcomer Nera Advanced Member

Belgium
    I've got a Western Digital 250GB My passport essential for the USB backup launcher, Never had a problem with it, doesn't get really hot when playing, I've got like 12 games on it (not really much, but i'm planning to put a lot more on it) and they all work perfect for me =), I can seriously recommend it to anyone looking for a good external HDD for wii backups.

3. geedub

Member geedub GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    funny because i have that exact drive and its working great ! the reviews are the same on amazon , but the good ones outway the bad ones and unhappy customers tell everyone , happy customers dont !

but having said that i aint getting another one , im gonna invest in 320Gb or 500 Gb passports in the future , just the thought of losing TB of stuff gives me the fear lol

4. fst312
    OP

United States
    i know the hard dive works but hearing in a year it will stop working tells me its waste of money getting this.i don't want to back up a lot wii games just for the drive to stop working in a year.

EDIT
    geedub how long you had your hard drive for.you to Nera how long you had yours.

5. priapism

Member priapism GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i just bought a WD My Passport Essential 500GB. i have only had it for a few days but it works great. the fact that it is USB powered is awesome because it is very easy to bring back and forth from my PC to my Wii.

6. geedub

Member geedub GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    must be about 6 months or so

also i think a white wd passport and powered by usb is the perfect match for me !

7. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    seagate is best cuz u can turn off sleepmode while still in the usb casing

8. Fat Cow

Member Fat Cow GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you are worried about hdd failure, try get an enclosure with active cooling.

9. fst312
    OP

United States
    i decided to take my chances and get a western digital external hard drive because every hard drive i kind of look at in new egg has a con that makes someone stay away from buying it.

10. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I bought a Western Digital 500GB Passport Essentials. I had to open it up to fix the spindown issue. If you are looking for a USB powered 2.5" drive, try the Seagate FreeAgent Go. You can turn off the spindown without voiding your warranty. BTW, the warranty is 5 years on the Seagate, but only 3 years on the WD.

11. fst312
    OP

United States
    can any hard drive get an enclosure.just asking because i don't see a western digital that comes with one and i know that HDD works perfect for wii.i'm still seaarching on newegg.com.

12. fst312
    OP

United States
  13. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Western Digital has taken a severe slump in the past few years. I'd go even as far as saying they're the new Maxtor(Maxtor being the new Quantum) of hard drives. Quality has gone down tremendously with their race to platter capacity -- and that's not saying much when you're the last manufacturer to hit 1TB platters.

Hitachi(formerly IBM) and Seagate are better quality drives, by far.

As far as enclosures are concerned, I have a hard time trusting anything that looks like it was made by Apple, because aesthetics usually hurt quality when it comes down to good R&D. You're better off buying an enclosure(make sure it has active ventillation) and installing your own drive.

Also, DON'T go with a 1TB drive that consists of more than 2 platters, as those tend to generate the most heat and fail constantly.

My current setup is a bare hard drive rack with a universal adapter and it's been working perfectly.

14. mark.m.moran

Member mark.m.moran GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Hi guys,
    I have the Maxtor Basics 320GB and it works well with the Wii.

If I pause a game and leave it and come back to it the whole thing crashes....has this been fixed or does it happen with all HDD's and the USB loader?

Cheers,
    M

15. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    Choose a Coby Drive.... since there is no wiki on GBAtemp for USB device for USB-loader [​IMG]
    BTW I have a white 500GB WD My Passport which is great!

16. fst312
    OP

United States
    before i make my purchase i will look into Hitachi and Seagate.the two hard drive do work perfect on the wii to right.i really want to buy an hard drive that works good on the wii.

17. bnm81002

Member bnm81002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

yeah, I am planning on getting this Seagate Go drive, I especially like the black color and will also get the FreeAgent Go Dock as well to put it right next to the Wii,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...905003faa2e1-rk
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...gate-_-17980001

18. fst312
    OP

United States
    came into a little problem might be backing out of buying the western digital because i don't see anything about it working on my windows xp.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136282

everyone helping me decide which hard drive to get i want to thank you.when i buy my hard drive i will post which one i ended up getting and if it worked.

19. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148373

Pick any enclosure that supports SATA and you're all set. You can even afford to get a NAS enclosure, since you aren't spending as much on the drive.