Looking for a good F2P First person shooter.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tigran, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Tigran
    OP

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    So while I kinda suck at them, a lot.. every once in a while I want to play an online FPS.

Now here is the rub.. I'm flat out broke, so I can't buy any new ones. So I was wondering what are some good F2P.

So far I've played Unreal Tournament, which is pretty good, but seems to be lacking players.

I've played Blacklight Retribution up till I realized I had no chance to buy armor or weapons for more than a day with In game currency cause I wasn't a pro member or something.

And I play TF2 a bit.. but it's just not my favorite.

So are there any good suggestions of good F2P that isn't "Pay to Win"?

PS... Prefer Sci-fi themed if possible.

*Please note I have no problem grinding to get stat gear.. just don't like the option of not even being able to get it because I haven't payed. Cosmetic gear... can cost as much as it wants.. I won't get any. :P*

Last edited by Tigran, Dec 14, 2015
  2. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Good and f2p don't go together when it comes to FPS.

Just wait for CSS or CS:GO to go on sale and grab it for like $2

3. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Dirty Bomb is free to play and is pretty decent. Plenty of players. At least for now, it's not pay 2 win. You get 2 mercenaries to play with that are always unlocked and three others rotate in and out on free rotation. Paying lets you unlock them permanently. You can also play enough to unlock with in game credits if you want.

4. linnethsilv

linnethsilv Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2014
    United States
    why not play Warframe it is not a FPS, it is a third person action game but it feels like metal gear Rising Revengeance, very nice graphics and cool sci-fi environment

5. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Planetside 2. It's a giant cluster, but fun in small doses.

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I've heard good things of dirty bomb and fistful of frags. Warsow is also interesting, but probably lacking in players as well. Oh, and the obligatory mentioning of quake live.

It's also in pre-alpha build. My guess is it'll get better once it reaches actual release.

7. Osga21

Osga21 King Of All Cosmos

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    If you want something really competitive(but paid), I suggest you buy CS:GO, it's amazing and well worth the money.
    For free, there is Blacklight retribution and dirty bomb, which are very good, Quake live, but I'm not sure if it's still free and a fistful of frags, which is also very fun. Crossfire also comes to mind.
    A few weks ago I also found a game called warmode, which as an fps is terrible, but I found it quite amusing, even if only for a short while.

8. WII_GUY

WII_GUY Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    TF2 is awesome

9. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Consortium isn't F2P but it's free to keep for this weekend on Steam.

10. ViolentRockstar

ViolentRockstar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Games like CS:GO are extremely cheap (I recommend buying on G2a.com) and worth every single penny. There aren't a lot of good F2p shooters and since you don't really like Tf2 and EA Shutdown their p4f services (Battlefield Play For Free, Battlefield Heroes (3rd person though)) I can't really think of a good, free FPS.

11. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Blacklight: Retribution hands down.