Homebrew lolSnes -- SNES emulator for DS

zero2exe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you want :)

I've been trying to test more mode 7 cases. In the case of the Metroid intro, well, it doesn't seem to work. The graphics are allright, but the computed X/Y reference points are set to unreasonably huge values for some odd reason (perhaps they're supposed to be negative but some sign's getting lost during operations?)

Oh and I need to remember to add a way to change the screen's vertical alignment. It's fixed to middle, which would be perfect for some games, but in SMW and SMAS it makes some levels unplayable.

About that, in stages like Vanilla Dome 1 tehre are some grounds that are below the usual height, more precisely right below the secret keyhole area where you simply can't see where you're standing.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want :)

I've been trying to test more mode 7 cases. In the case of the Metroid intro, well, it doesn't seem to work. The graphics are allright, but the computed X/Y reference points are set to unreasonably huge values for some odd reason (perhaps they're supposed to be negative but some sign's getting lost during operations?)

Oh and I need to remember to add a way to change the screen's vertical alignment. It's fixed to middle, which would be perfect for some games, but in SMW and SMAS it makes some levels unplayable.

Keep up the good work, you're making an excellent emulator! Progress is progress right? :P

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Well thanks :)

Anyway, I'm working on some other games. Like, Super Metroid. It hangs when starting a new game, the problem appears to be some mind-boggling issue related to the ROM cache.

The same kind of issues may be affecting other games if they're bigger than 1MB (or 2MB for HiROM games). lolSnes always loads the first 1 or 2 MB of ROM in RAM, so for games that don't exceed this size, the ROM cache is never used.

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh yeah, Super Metroid would be awesome, it's considered as best SNES game by many and I'd love to play it on my DS :) Waiting impatiently for Super Metroid build :)

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'm looking forward to implementation of Mode7. F-Zero runs, but any Mode7 stuff is heavily corrupt. F-Zero will run up to the point of loading a track for racing, where it crashes. There's also no audio either.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh yeah, Chrono Trigger would be awesome, it's considered as best SNES game by many and I'd love to play it on my DS :) Waiting impatiently for Chrono Trigger build :)

Fixed.

Anyway, I'm working on some other games. Like, Super Metroid. It hangs when starting a new game, the problem appears to be some mind-boggling issue related to the ROM cache.

If only the DS had a little more RAM...

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
user64
There's Chrono Trigger DS , and no Super Metroid DS ?:) Or dunno, maybe DS version is worse? I haven't played either of them yet, so I can't say anything...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
If only the DS had a little more RAM...

while the dsiwarehax is rare and the ievo is rather shite, i still felt the need to comment that dsi mode has more ram. any chance of a dsi mode build? i've got the dsiwarehax installed, and i can round up a few others for testing.

-another world

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Quoted from the lolSnes site:
It could be ported to DSi mode relatively easily, but I don't have a DSi and DSi mode is not available widely enough to warrant it. As for 3DS mode, it hasn't been hacked yet at the time of writing this. And uh, even if it was, why bother? The 3DS would surely be powerful enough to handle a Snes9x port which would perform better than lolSnes.

Basically, if someone makes a DSi build, they're free to do it, and I'd even be ready to merge their changes into the official lolSnes. But I can't make such a build myself.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While I don't have sudokuhax, I know a few things which can break dsi mode compatibility. Cached/Uncached mirrors between arm9 and arm7 could be a problem.

DSi users, you might try changing line 514 in memory.c from:
Code:
fifoSendAddress(FIFO_USER_01, IPC);
to
Code:
fifoSendAddress(FIFO_USER_01, memCached(IPC));

Reactions: ipwndeveloper

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
user64
There's Chrono Trigger DS , and no Super Metroid DS ?:) Or dunno, maybe DS version is worse? I haven't played either of them yet, so I can't say anything...

That doesn't change the fact that Chrono Trigger is the best SNES game.

And even if I wasn't joking, you can still play Chrono trigger fine on SnemulDS.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't change the fact that Chrono Trigger is the best SNES game.

And even if I wasn't joking, you can still play Chrono trigger fine on SnemulDS.

The only decent Snes to handheld port out there, they actually tried their hardest and even the sound is very close to the original. FF5 and FF6 on the GBA were horribly emulated lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q