Hacking Loadiine vs 128GB Lexar Professional UHS-II U3 - 150MB/s

Metsudo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

Recently purchased an exploitable Wii-U and hoping to start tinkering with it soon. I've been looking through the various threads trying to work out which SD Card to buy. There are a lot of mentions of 80 & 95MB/s cards but I've come across this 150MB/s one:

£45 - Lexar 128GB Lexar Professional 1000x SD (SDXC) Card UHS-II U3 - 150MB/s

Does anyone have any experience with this ?

From the Lexar website: "These high-speed cards leverage UHS-II technology (UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)) and provide a read transfer speed up to 1000x (150MB/s) when used with an SD UHS-II reader. For versatility, the cards also work with UHS-I devices at UHS-I speeds, and they’re backwards compatible with older cameras and readers, performing at Class 10 speeds when used with non-UHS devices."

So if the Wii-U is not at all UHS compatible that makes the minimum read rate 10MB/s (class 10). Is the maximum read rate still then 150MB/s or is this determined by the limitations of the SD card reader in the console ? Or perhaps even by the maximum rate of a non-UHS class 10 card (whatever that may be) ?

Any & all discussion invited, wanted to get your thoughts before paying extra for something I can't take full advantage of.

Regards

Metsudo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose I'm curious whether the Wii-U has a hypothetical maximum read speed if it is not UHS compatible ? ie. What's the maximum bus speed of the Wii-U card reader ?

Or to look at it another way perhaps, if a UHS-II U3 has a max read rate of 150MB/s, what's the max read rate of the same card operating as a class 10 (ie. in a non UHS device) ?

Asking in more general terms as I'd like to understand it better, I appreciate the bottom line is the card will probably work.

Thanks again

Metsudo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I googled and found that also. It just doesn't seem to be consistent with the anecdotal evidence others on this site have found. For example going from that link we're saying that if Wii-U is not UHS compatible then it's maximum transfer speed is 25MB/s ? Why then the suggestions of 80 or 95MB/s cards ? Somebody else (I'd have to find the link) thought the maximum would be 48MB/s. It just seems wasteful to spend money on a faster card if the hardware limit is much lower. Do we have a definitive answer yet ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol