Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you there are alot of people that hate playing on PC right? im one of them i rather have the confort of kknowing the game will always play well on the console rather than on a pc where i need to keep investing money year after year to even be able to run the games decently, not to mention like 99% of all console games ported to the PC have awful pc ports, only a masochist would like to play any ubisoft pc port of their games.

I've played the first AC games through Revelations just fine on PC, and from what I read the new renditions of AC games did not play well at all on any platform due to horrible programming. Witcher 3 and MGS:V have been flawless, and actually Witcher 3 had a big patch released that caused massive framerate drop on XBONE/PS4 while PC was running just fine. They're all machines computers in the end, and they are only as good as the software developers behind them. AMD/Nvidia have been very good at updating even older cards to work with new games. My card is two years old now but still keeping up with XBONE/PS4 titles. And with Steam Link on the horizon this year I'm looking at enjoying all of these titles from the comfort of my couch without the massive console overhead.

To each his own of course, but I personally can't justify any new systems other than Nintendo going forward due to their first party titles and proprietary control schemes (even though those work pretty well in Dolphin too).

Last edited by Maximilious,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've played the first AC games through Revelations just fine on PC, and from what I read the new renditions of AC games did not play well at all on any platform due to horrible programming. Witcher 3 and MGS:V have been flawless, and actually Witcher 3 had a big patch released that caused massive framerate drop on XBONE/PS4 while PC was running just fine. They're all machines computers in the end, and they are only as good as the software developers behind them. AMD/Nvidia have been very good at updating even older cards to work with new games. My card is two years old now but still keeping up with XBONE/PS4 titles. And with Steam Link on the horizon this year I'm looking at enjoying all of these titles from the comfort of my couch without the massive console overhead.

To each his own of course, but I personally can't justify any new systems other than Nintendo going forward due to their first party titles and proprietary control schemes (even though those work pretty well in Dolphin too).
you jsut proved my point you say your card is 2 years old and im guessing next year for most pc games it just wont be enough atleast on the decent settings, when you buy a console you know you got like 7-8 years and you will never have to upgrade the console no graphic card no new processor no anything, just check the price for a PC that can play games for the next 7 years and the price of ps4/xbox1 you will have your awnser no gaming pc lasts 3 years before needing upgrades, not to mention who doesnt love playing games on their big flat screens rather than a monitor and before you imply you can get a cable no everyone has their PCs and big flat screen even on the same room i for sure dont.

Reactions: Quantumcat

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you jsut proved my point you say your card is 2 years old and im guessing next year for most pc games it just wont be enough atleast on the decent settings, when you buy a console you know you got like 7-8 years and you will never have to upgrade the console no graphic card no new processor no anything, just check the price for a PC that can play games for the next 7 years and the price of ps4/xbox1 you will have your awnser no gaming pc lasts 3 years before needing upgrades, not to mention who doesnt love playing games on their big flat screens rather than a monitor and before you imply you can get a cable no everyone has their PCs and big flat screen even on the same room i for sure dont.
The difference between graphics cards and consoles is that there isn't any incentive to keep them after you're done with them, so if you sell the old one to get a new one of equal standard (ex. selling your 750 to get a 950) you can get the new one for a fraction of any modern console

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not justifying points, just my opinion as you have yours. Yes my card is two years old and will be good for the next 3 years, probably longer to be honest but AMD/Nvidia choose to stop updating cards forcing an update after long. But the card is all that needs updated before long. The rest of my components are going on 8 years and still running strong. I've done menial upgrades but they weren't required (water cooling and SSD HDD's). My point is, you can make a big upfront purchase on a great PC like a gaming system (mainly the Mobo, RAM, CPU and Video Card), and then you're hit with smaller upgrade fee's along the way in terms of a video card every 3-5 years (which you can turn around and sell your old one on eBay for half what you paid and make some of that back just like a system). And as I mentioned with Steam Link I will be able to enjoy gaming on my PC from the comfort of my couch come November. :)

Reactions: Margen67

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Punctuation, bro.

kassemmel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My old AMD hd6950 would still run MGS5. According to a Benchmark I found: maximum details, framelock 'auto' (60 Fps) on 27fps MINIMUM, 29 average.
Thats not 60fps by far, but we are talking about everything on max in 1080p on a 5 year old card. Thats better than bloodborne on PS4 and you can still fine-tune it to get into playable territory.

The argument "you have to purchase new hardware all the time" is trash. The only part I have actually exchanged in 5 years is the hd6950 for a gtx970. Not because it couldn't run games anymore but because I wanted to enjoy everything witcher 3 had to offer in terms of quality.

But this is not the thread to talk about console - PC war

On Topic:
I like that a Backup loader is in the works. I won't be using it myself (running on 5.5 because of super mario maker) and I don't need to because supporting creators of actual good games is fine for me. I am a working man and I can afford a game or 2 every few months. But I know there are some regions in the world where it's hard to get your hands on Nintendo games at all, some younger people who don't have a full time job yet and also some people that simply don't want to spend money and I am not against piracy as long as people actually enjoy gaming, enjoy playing well designed games and don't play some bad, repetitive mobile games instead.

Unfortunately exploits nowadays are temporary most of the time. I really loved my PSP back then. With custom firmwares that brought more functionality and no need to do some stuff before the actual fun begins.
If there will be a Kernel exploit in the future on the latest firmware, I will try it. Happy to see some actual progress in the WiiU community :)

Last edited by kassemmel,

vatrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you jsut proved my point you say your card is 2 years old and im guessing next year for most pc games it just wont be enough atleast on the decent settings, when you buy a console you know you got like 7-8 years and you will never have to upgrade the console no graphic card no new processor no anything

How is that a good thing for console and bad thing for PC? I just don't know how you can see it that way.

On console you are stuck on low-medium graphics settings, for the whole 7 years console cycle.
On PC you can start on Ultra, and then as new games come out and your PC is getting older, you reduce the graphics to High... then then to Medium... and finally to Low. You don't HAVE to change your GPU/CPU. You have the OPTION to do it if you want your games to look good, unlike on console where you are stuck on low-medium settings until a new console come out, 7 years later.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How is that a good thing for console and bad thing for PC? I just don't know how you can see it that way.

On console you are stuck on low-medium graphics settings, for the whole 7 years console cycle.
On PC you can start on Ultra, and then as new games come out and your PC is getting older, you reduce the graphics to High... then then to Medium... and finally to Low. You don't HAVE to change your GPU/CPU. You have the OPTION to do it if you want your games to look good, unlike on console where you are stuck on low-medium settings until a new console come out, 7 years later.
its better for the wallet just tell me what is the minimum price for a gaming pc that will last 7-8 years i bet you could buy 3 ps4 with the money you need minimum.

vatrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its better for the wallet just tell me what is the minimum price for a gaming pc that will last 7-8 years i bet you could buy 3 ps4 with the money you need minimum.

About $1000 i'd say? I paid mine $1000 5 years ago and I can still play most games on high settings, and i'm sure it will last another 2-3 years without touching it.

PS4 = $400
7 years of PSN = $350
1 game per year for 7 years = $420
Total: $1170
$1170 to be stuck at low-medium graphic settings for a whole generation.

PC: $1000
7 games : $420 (Every PC games has).
Total: $1420
$1420 to play games at high settings

That's not including any sales (most PC games are AT LEAST 10% off at release) and the Steam Sales that completely destroy sales on PSN.

So where's that 'I could buy 3 PS4 for the same price as a PC' again?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
About $1000 i'd say? I paid mine $1000 5 years ago and I can still play most games on high settings, and i'm sure it will last another 2-3 years without touching it.

PS4 = $400
7 years of PSN = $350
1 game per year for 7 years = $420
Total: $1170
$1170 to be stuck at low-medium graphic settings for a whole generation.

PC: $1000
7 games : $420 (Every PC games has).
Total: $1420
$1420 to play games at high settings

That's not including any sales (most PC games are AT LEAST 10% off at release) and the Steam Sales that completely destroy sales on PSN.

So where's that 'I could buy 3 PS4 for the same price as a PC' again?
1000 you must live on a very cheap place lol, any decent gaming pc here goes for 1500 and up and thats euros not dollars.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1000 you must live on a very cheap place lol, any decent gaming pc here goes for 1500 and up and thats euros not dollars.
That's roughly $1700, and that's way more than the average gaming PC. You could get one for WAY less. But really, this isn't the proper place for a PC vs console debate.

Reactions: Margen67

vatrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Actually computer hardware in Canada is pretty damn expensive compared to the US. Sound like you are getting ripped off hardcore wherever you live. But like Pedeadstrian said, this isn't really the place to debate about that.

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot to mention the fact that to maintain performance on a potato you have to cap the framerate, and lower the resolution below 1080p.
Oh, and you have to pay for online.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
well lets end this discussion already everyone likes what they like im just unable to play any noone fps game on a pc it just fells wrong and crappy but i guess people here like their pc gaming i wonder why pc game sells are always so crappy lol unless everyone basicaly pirates every game on pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1